Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #2701
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What are you reading?

My next two reads:

glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #2702
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

No-No boy by John Okada.

Anyone has any good reading apps that have free books? I haven't tested wattpad but it seems decent. For both android and iOS.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #2703
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Recently finished this and it was a really great read. The most fascinating part for me was putting modern times into a historical context. For example, he talks about how religion originally served as a means to connect strangers to avoid violence. Members of different New Guinea tribes will sit down for extended periods of time when they meet in the wild to go through their family lineage trying to find a reason not to kill each other.

Also, it struck me how amazing the concept of a supermarket is for the first time. I had never really considered it in the context of the evolution of human society.

It is also a great read to get an idea of how the world's current power structure came to be.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #2704
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

About 150 pages in so far and it is very good so far. I won't say much about it because I haven't read much of the main plot so far (the first 150 pages lay the groundwork and flesh out the characters) but I will say that the book has aged beautifully. The characters and situations are universal and the dialogue/prose seamlessly fits into modern modes of writing, (other than the language being written for the time period).
Old 10-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #2705
TheReturn
Rnbizzle 2.0

TheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected poster

I find this book fascinating.
TheReturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #2706
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #2707
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Read Demons by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
His weakest book in my opinion. Things get interesting in the last third but that's after 700 pages. I just didn't care about the characters as much as in other Dostoyevsky books.

Reading Blindness by José Saramago
Read about 20%.
The story is very intriguing from page one on. Language is easy. Those long sentences containing parts of direct speech but without quotation marks make it a restless read. Highly addictive! I think I'll be done within a week.
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #2708
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
Reading Blindness by José Saramago
Read about 20%.
The story is very intriguing from page one on. Language is easy. Those long sentences containing parts of direct speech but without quotation marks make it a restless read. Highly addictive! I think I'll be done within a week.

welcome, ¦welcome¦ to my top 15 books ever
crazy, unique, unforgettable
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #2709
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

havent read any books in 2 years. Just finally started reading again. I finished Ender's Game. Not bad, since i like sci-fi. But not going to read the rest of the series.

Next book I'll probably read Catch 22. or 100 years of Solitude.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #2710
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm currently reading these:

Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #2711
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #2712
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Horde of Temujin has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

About 150 pages in so far and it is very good so far. I won't say much about it because I haven't read much of the main plot so far (the first 150 pages lay the groundwork and flesh out the characters) but I will say that the book has aged beautifully. The characters and situations are universal and the dialogue/prose seamlessly fits into modern modes of writing, (other than the language being written for the time period).

"Everything is permitted."

Among the truest shit ever written.
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #2713
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Brothers Karamazov was very good but there are spots where it felt like it dragged a little too much. The middle section of the book that chronicled Mitya's actions the night of the murder was too long. There are some really powerful moments tho, like Alyosha's experience directly after Father Zossima's death, Alyosha's conversations with Ivan, Ivan's decent into brain fever, etc. There is plenty to chew on and I don't think I will ever really come to a satisfactory review of the book without a lot of discussion with others who have read it. Definitely a recommended read.

Now I am reading:

&

Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #2714
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Brothers Karamazov was very good but there are spots where it felt like it dragged a little too much. The middle section of the book that chronicled Mitya's actions the night of the murder was too long. There are some really powerful moments tho, like Alyosha's experience directly after Father Zossima's death, Alyosha's conversations with Ivan, Ivan's decent into brain fever, etc. There is plenty to chew on and I don't think I will ever really come to a satisfactory review of the book without a lot of discussion with others who have read it. Definitely a recommended read.

The charachters are so powerful and universal, it is amazing (well that can be said of any Dosto's novel). Too long has passed since I read it for me to discuss it in detail, but I agree that in some parts it felt like it dragged + other parts definitely stand out to me, while wonderful per se, as formally unharmonious (word?) with the main body of the novel (the Iliusha story, the Inquisitor chapter).
There is indeed a lot to chew on.
Jasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #2715
Dresta
BANNED!!!!

Dresta is starting to rub some people the wrong wayDresta is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:

Now I am reading:

&

I loved the trial also: in particular the closing remarks of the defender and prosecutor. The biggest fault of Dostoevsky for me is his incessant need to have his characters descend into hysterical ravings and ramblings throughout his books - this was particularly present in TBK.

Found Federalist Papers interesting, though somewhat depressing due to how much of what these guys said has been completely ignored, and at the severe decline of politics/politicians. The language isn't easy, but it's certainly worth the effort.

Reading this:

It's amazing.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: