Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #2761
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What are you reading?

bladefd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #2762
Fiba basketball
I feel devotion

Fiba basketball has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
<----

The greatest thing our Polish friends created

Too bad they weren't able to make a good TV show out of it I think it could be just as popular as Game of thrones if not more.

Did you read all of the Witcher books ? My favourite so far is Baptism of Fire.
Fiba basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #2763
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero by Larry Tye

Reads a lot like several wikipedia pages strung together in a book. Felt like reference material, still short enough to enjoy it in parts. Probably would have liked it better if I didn't know as much of the history going in.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #2764
Trollsmasher
Testing Free Agency

Trollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
Too bad they weren't able to make a good TV show out of it I think it could be just as popular as Game of thrones if not more.

Did you read all of the Witcher books ? My favourite so far is Baptism of Fire.
Yeah, I did (well, not counting the new one the was published in November). I like the first two short stories collections the most, as I feel Sapkowski had some pacing issues with the saga, but they are still fantastic books.

The TV show was just awful. But well, what can you expect from a Polish TV production of the early '00

It could of course be popular if made with quality but I heard that those few English translations are pretty bad and the books lose a lot of their slavic feeling and magic. I am not sure it would be as good with English/American production and I am not sure you could find a budget it deserves in Europe. And of course, lots of people would just call it a GoT copycat even thought Geralt is older.
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #2765
B-hoop
High school junior varsity star

B-hoop has decent reputationB-hoop has decent reputation

I am interested in the Witcher's series, what's the author's name? Btw anyone know where i can find a huge torrent file with over 50.000 sci-fi and fantasy novels? I remember downloading it a few years ago from demonoid..
B-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #2766
Trollsmasher
Testing Free Agency

Trollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-hoop
I am interested in the Witcher's series, what's the author's name? Btw anyone know where i can find a huge torrent file with over 50.000 sci-fi and fantasy novels? I remember downloading it a few years ago from demonoid..
Andrzej Sapkowski

Only 3 books out 7 have been translate to English though.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #2767
B-hoop

The other books are going to be translated or has the project been dismissed?

I found Blood of Elves and The Last Wish, that's book 1 and 2?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #2768
Trollsmasher
Testing Free Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-hoop
The other books are going to be translated or has the project been dismissed?

I found Blood of Elves and The Last Wish, that's book 1 and 2?
There are 7 books in the series (well, 8 now, as Sapkowski published a new one in November).

The first two books are a collections of short stories that set up the characters, the world and the future events.

Those events are depicted in the 5 book saga.

The Last Wish is the 1st short stories collection. Blood of Elves and Times of Contempt are the 1st two books of the saga (so in fact books 3 and 4 in the series).

Those books are translated into English. I have no idea why they decided to jump over the 2nd short stories book, as it is pretty important for the series progress. I also have no idea what they plan to do in the future with translations or if they even have any plans at all. There have been problems with it for years.

There are some fan translations of the rest on the internet and I have heard they are "solid", but that's it.

Pretty confusing, isn't it? That's what you get when you want to read an "eastern European" fantasy literature. For once I am glad Poland is our neighbour, the languages similar and Witcher has a pretty big fanbase in my country.

Last edited by Trollsmasher : 01-08-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #2769
B-hoop

Damn, thats messy. I will read Last Wish if i like it i guess i'll read the fan translation books.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #2770
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mother recommended it.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #2771
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

MightyWhitey has decent reputationMightyWhitey has decent reputation

The book I am reading is called 'White Girl Bleed Alot'. Here's a youtube video on it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbuGEYg7CC8
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #2772
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #2773
Ratnik
Decent playground baller

Ratnik has not been impressing people

Mein Kampf. Expected more.
Ratnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #2774
Akrazotile
Cavs fan since forever

Akrazotile has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratnik
Mein Kampf. Expected more.

Never heard of it. What's is about?
Akrazotile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #2775
Le Shaqtus
Knights, Jags, Magic

Le Shaqtus has an incredible reputation hereLe Shaqtus has an incredible reputation hereLe Shaqtus has an incredible reputation hereLe Shaqtus has an incredible reputation hereLe Shaqtus has an incredible reputation hereLe Shaqtus has an incredible reputation hereLe Shaqtus has an incredible reputation hereLe Shaqtus has an incredible reputation here

My girlfriend gave me "The Visible Man" to read, no idea what its about so I hope its good.
Le Shaqtus is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: