Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #2806
Le Shaqtus
Go Pack Go

Default Re: What are you reading?

About to start this today:

Le Shaqtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #2807
oh the horror
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
About to start this today:

Step dad said this was a good one.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #2808
Le Shaqtus
Go Pack Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
Step dad said this was a good one.

Good to know!
Le Shaqtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #2809
Shade8780
Banned

Bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.101
Finished reading

Great start to the trophy can't wait to find it what's really going on reading book #2 the scorch trials now
My mom and English teacher want me to start reading more books as I have big exams this year in school, so I tried looking for a book. Went here and first thing I saw was this. Fits the description of something I'd like. Sci-fi, only a few years old, and is in a series of books. The plot sounds very interesting too, I like post-apocalyptic stuff. Gonna try and see if I can get it in the local book shops tomorrow, and hopefully I can get it done by the end of October when the movie comes out.

It should be a change of pace for me, as I can't remember the last time I read a fiction book at home, usually I only read biographies.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #2810
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
Bump.

My mom and English teacher want me to start reading more books as I have big exams this year in school, so I tried looking for a book. Went here and first thing I saw was this. Fits the description of something I'd like. Sci-fi, only a few years old, and is in a series of books. The plot sounds very interesting too, I like post-apocalyptic stuff. Gonna try and see if I can get it in the local book shops tomorrow, and hopefully I can get it done by the end of October when the movie comes out.

It should be a change of pace for me, as I can't remember the last time I read a fiction book at home, usually I only read biographies.
You should look for something more understandable and less mysterious ambiguous. It lacks characterization and 3/4th of the time you won't understand shit cause it lacks clarity.

If you like Sci Fi Enders Game is good unless that foul movie ruined it for ya. Also, for a beginner Sphere by Michael Chricton or Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer would be good. The latter being under 300 pages as well.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #2811
DwnShft2Xcelr8
Next LAL Coach

I've been reading "Contact" by Carl Sagan. I enjoy reading novels about first contact with extraterrestrials and I was highly recommended this novel, but it is too slow.
DwnShft2Xcelr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #2812
Shade8780
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
You should look for something more understandable and less mysterious ambiguous. It lacks characterization and 3/4th of the time you won't understand shit cause it lacks clarity.

If you like Sci Fi Enders Game is good unless that foul movie ruined it for ya. Also, for a beginner Sphere by Michael Chricton or Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer would be good. The latter being under 300 pages as well.
Right now, I'm just looking for a book I'll enjoy rather than a book that would help my writing skills.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #2813
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
Right now, I'm just looking for a book I'll enjoy rather than a book that would help my writing skills.
That's exactly why I'm suggesting those.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #2814
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Watching Ender's Game now. They really ****ed up the scenes after the final battle which is pretty much unforgivable. All of the reactions were wrong and they were way too on the nose with the dialogue. Plus they ****ed up his realization about the game and totally changed the story. I am disappoint.

Movie is over now. Holy **** did they butcher that ending. It was possible to be true to the book but the director/writers/studio were either too lazy or lacked the talent.

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 09-01-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #2815
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Mostly about boxing lately.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #2816
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

I just finished "The Dream and the Nightmare" by Myron Magnet. Insightful. My next book will be fiction. Not a big fiction reader, but I'm trying to broaden my horizon's. I got "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian". I hope I like it. Fantasy fiction.
senelcoolidge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #2817
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

I just read Volden and it's now making me go crazy. I can no longer let some of the contemporary society nonsense fly, which I was sometimes able to do before... It's so overboard now. Seeing people going to the mall and everything, overhearing them talking about their jobs and what things they still need to buy. Oh my.

kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #2818
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I just finished Galveston, a sort of neo noir novel by Nic Pizzalatto, the writer of the True Detective series.

I liked it a lot. I'm not the world's biggest fiction fan. But I just came off a pretty wild Zodiac true crime book, and the cleanliness of well written fiction was appealing. When I do read fiction it's usually with a Sci - Fi angle.

Galveston is a simple story, but really richly written. Particularly in the descriptive elements, and the internal dialogue.

If you liked the series, the tone is similar. He's obviously comfortable in the region. And there's some other small nods from the show.

He gets credited with being influenced by Carmac McCarthy, and that's not hard to notice.

I've tracked down some other neo noir type novles, some of them bordering on horror, but haven't purchased anything yet.

Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #2819
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I just finished Galveston, a sort of neo noir novel by Nic Pizzalatto, the writer of the True Detective series.

I liked it a lot. I'm not the world's biggest fiction fan. But I just came off a pretty wild Zodiac true crime book, and the cleanliness of well written fiction was appealing. When I do read fiction it's usually with a Sci - Fi angle.

Galveston is a simple story, but really richly written. Particularly in the descriptive elements, and the internal dialogue.

If you liked the series, the tone is similar. He's obviously comfortable in the region. And there's some other small nods from the show.

He gets credited with being influenced by Carmac McCarthy, and that's not hard to notice.

I've tracked down some other neo noir type novles, some of them bordering on horror, but haven't purchased anything yet.

You should check out The Last Policeman (it's part of a trilogy but works just fine as a standalone. It's noir-like with shades of detective grit and with a pre-apocalyptic feel to it.

It's about the world is soon to end due to a meteor hitting the earth but the main character cares about solving the case despite a near end to things. Nihilistic man on a mission type thing. It develops into more than that though.

Quote:
What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway?

Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact.

The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. The economy spirals downward while crops rot in the fields. Churches and synagogues are packed. People all over the world are walking off the job—but not Hank Palace. He’s investigating a death by hanging in a city that sees a dozen suicides every week—except this one feels suspicious, and Palace is the only cop who cares.

The first in a trilogy, The Last Policeman offers a mystery set on the brink of an apocalypse. As Palace’s investigation plays out under the shadow of 2011GV1, we’re confronted by hard questions way beyond “whodunit.” What basis does civilization rest upon? What is life worth? What would any of us do, what would we really do, if our days were numbered?

Last edited by ZeN : 09-02-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #2820
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
You should check out The Last Policeman (it's part of a trilogy but works just fine as a standalone. It's noir-like with shades of detective grit and with a pre-apocalyptic feel to it.

It's about the world is soon to end due to a meteor hitting the earth but the main character cares about solving the case despite a near end to things. Nihilistic man on a mission type thing. It develops into more than that though.

That sounds pretty cool. I'll at least put into my wishlist.

Have you read the whole series?

When I get home I'll post the 10 or so books I have in my wishlist and see if anyone has any suggestions. They're all pretty highly regarded Noir novels. And I have a few True Crime books in there too.

I searched out a bunch of "Top True Crime Novels" type lists, and was astonished by how much I've already read. The lists only vary slightly as you go from one to the other. I mean ... Helter Skelter ... In Cold Blood, and a few others are just mortal locks to make any list. But even with that said, I had read almost everything of consequence it seems, except for Ann Rule's "The Stranger Beside Me", which is her first book about working next to Ted Bundy. It's crazy to me that a prolific crime author just happened to be sitting next to a prolific serial killer during their youthful sort of meaningless work careers. And I'm surprised I've never read it. But I'm not a huge Ann Rule fan, and honestly Bundy isn't the most interesting of the serial killers to me, and I've already read a bunch about him.

It was also interesting to me how quickly critical acclaim for most of these books plummets. Outside of a the classics, and another maybe 25 or so well recieved books, it all reviews as either pulpy exploitative shlock, poorly researched drivel, or confused sloppy narrative, that may be both exploitative and poorly researched to boot.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: