Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #376
T.O.RAPS
Raptors|FC Barcelona

Default Re: What are you reading?

latest slam issue

T.O.RAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #377
kenuffff
I rule the local playground

i just finished up the new james ellroy , blood's a rover.. love his stuff
kenuffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #378
AmoebaD
hip to be square

i think it would be cool if someone posted a link to a nice short story and then if people wanted, they could read it. instead of one person giving their opinion, people who want to read a classic short story could make a mini discussion. it is more engaging then the set up of this thread. i'm just saying.

go read http://www.moonstar.com/~acpjr/Black...Elephants.html. it is a classic shorty that i'm sure some of you have read, but it would be nice to talk about it.

just throwing that out there.
AmoebaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:18 AM   #379
ZeN
Stormblessed

Just got my hands on this yesterday.. Ive read a couple chapters so far...

Meet Peter Brown, a young Manhattan emergency room doctor with an unusual past that is just about to catch up with him. His morning begins with the quick disarming of a would-be mugger, followed by a steamy elevator encounter with a sexy young pharmaceutical rep, topped off by a visit with a new patient--and from there Peter's day is going to get a whole lot worse and a whole lot weirder. Because that patient knows Peter from his other life, when he had a different name and a very different job. The only reason he's a doctor now is thanks to the Witness Protection Program--and even they can't protect him from the long reach of the New Jersey mob. Now he's got to do whatever it takes to keep his patient alive so he can buy some time...and beat the reaper.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:24 AM   #380
tr3bla
Not airballing my layups anymore

Reading the Structure of Scientific Revolutions - paradigm, paradigm, paradigm
tr3bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #381
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Just got my hands on this yesterday.. Ive read a couple chapters so far...

Meet Peter Brown, a young Manhattan emergency room doctor with an unusual past that is just about to catch up with him. His morning begins with the quick disarming of a would-be mugger, followed by a steamy elevator encounter with a sexy young pharmaceutical rep, topped off by a visit with a new patient--and from there Peter's day is going to get a whole lot worse and a whole lot weirder. Because that patient knows Peter from his other life, when he had a different name and a very different job. The only reason he's a doctor now is thanks to the Witness Protection Program--and even they can't protect him from the long reach of the New Jersey mob. Now he's got to do whatever it takes to keep his patient alive so he can buy some time...and beat the reaper.

Its comical, yet not as much as I would hope.. yet, Im reaching here in thinking that maybe its a slow starter, and that it will get krunk by the mid to latter portion...

Bout a third done with it..
Old 10-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #382
HealthieJunky
Saw a basketball once

Self help books. They are the best.
HealthieJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #383
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Its comical, yet not as much as I would hope.. yet, Im reaching here in thinking that maybe its a slow starter, and that it will get krunk by the mid to latter portion...

Bout a third done with it..

The premise sounded good, so that's too bad. Keep us updated, because if it turns out good I may put it on my list. Although I'm way behind on stuff I already own.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:33 AM   #384
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
The premise sounded good, so that's too bad. Keep us updated, because if it turns out good I may put it on my list. Although I'm way behind on stuff I already own.

I'm currently at the midway point. Its not as interesting because the narration feels too amused with its self. Pretentious, smug.. words like those come to mind. The story is solid, but there lacks a fun energy that I would hope it would carry.

Yet, I think that Christopher Moore has ruined me to all out comedic novels, for his always hold a certain lucid dynamic that makes his stories resonate with humor and memorability.

Ill make sure to post a final thought once I finish it, but my estimation of it may not be as pleasant as most.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #385
Fatal9
owwwww

I've avoided Austen, Bronte books for the longest time. Always thought of them as 19th century chick-lit (ignorant...I know). Have read a little more than half of it, and can say so far this is one of the best (and strangest) Victorian novels I've ever read.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #386
ZeN
Stormblessed

Im currently stuck on 'Speaker of the Dead' and 'Beat The Reaper' each is okay but not specifically appealing to me at the moment.

I just read 'The Poet' again.. due to nostalgia from reading the sort-of sequel in Michael Connelly's 'The Scarecrow' which I read about a month ago (?).

Read this last few dayz..

"The Poet is 100% Brilliant - A Crime Fiction Masterpiece"

"The Poet" is a stunning and suspenseful psychological thriller.

Jack McEvoy is a crime reporter working for the Rocky Mountain News. His only brother is a homicide detective, that committed suicide, because of depression from a traumatizing case. In hot pursuit of the truth, relating to his brother's death, Jack becomes involved in a stellar pursuit of a killer called "The Poet".

A killer of detectives, who's calling card is leaving lines from Edgar Allen Poe poems, at crime scenes.

"The Poet" is a fantastic, thrilling, suspenseful, crime fiction novel. Contains a strong leading man and a strong leading woman, that is sexy also. The story and narration, are riveting and tenacious. The prose, is filled with depth and resonates with dark despondency.

Michael Connelly infused "The Poet" with masterful substance. With great ambition, he created characters and plot points, that cement you, to your seat. It's filled with action but does not forget the impact and grip, of emotions.

The enemy of the story is cleverly created. He is a killer that evokes evil and a nemesis whose actions grip and fill you, with great anticipation of his ultimate demise.

-ZeN
Old 10-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #387
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #388
Dasher
NBA Superstar

Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote