Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 AM   #706
sawyersauce
Great young streetballer

sawyersauce has decent reputation
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
I do agree about him having a formulaic approach to his characters and overall outline of his plots/stories. Like you said, the expert (Typically physically incompetent), with the main female (If my memory serves correct rhoughout the books, typically blonde) who is in good physical shape and attractive and basically everything the protagonist isn't. The main character seems to be consistently a little naive even though super smart. Rising Sun is my favorite of his books and I agree. It was the first of his books that I read. Yeah, I respect your opinion and reasoning behind it; I was just curious. I really like his stories, personally, and I find the majority (save Congo and Next) really page-turners. Though I still enjoyed Congo.

Lol, that's hilarious that you call them airport fiction, because I first got into Crichton when I had to do a project on a book and my dad, who used to travel a lot on business, would always buy books and read them on the flight, and he gave me Rising Sun (That still had the plane ticket for the bookmark, haha). I can definitely see where you're coming from. I enjoyed both parts of the book, and I'm more-so on the flip-side of you, in that I liked the second-half better than the first. I was waiting for the action to start as I really enjoy those parts of his books.

Who are your favorite authors and some of their books? Just so I can see what kind of style and books you like and if any of them would interest me.

All that being said, I am still a Crichton fan. Andromeda Strain, Sphere and J Park are true sci-fi greats and Rising Sun is outstanding crime work. Andromeda Strain has less action than most of his stuff, it's more of a medical/sci fi mystery - Like a cross between the TV shows the X-Files and House. I think you'd enjoy it.

Here's some of my Fav Author's and books.

Hemmingway - which is mostly character driven, alcohol drenched literary fiction; The Sun Also Rises, The Old Man and The Sea, A Farewell to Arms.

Asimov - Hard Sci-fi and speculative fiction; The Gods Themselves, Any of the Robot short story collections, The Last Question is an awesome non-robot related short story.

McCarthy - Tends to be violent but ornate westerns, The Road is very different; Blood Meridian, Sutree, No Country, The Road.

William Gibson - Cyberpunk; Neuromancer (It's like a cross between the Matrix and Ocean's 11), Burning Chrome, Mona Lisa Overdrive.

King - Horror; The Stand, Skeleton Crew, Dark Tower Series especially The Drawing of the Three, Cell... He can be a little hit or miss.

General sci fi -
Orson Scott Card; Ender's Game
Frank Herbert; Dune
Kim Stanely Robinson; The Mars Trilogy

Surrealist -
DeLillo; Running Dog, White Noise.
Pynchon; Gravity's Rainbow.

Literary -
Chabon - Kavalier and Clay
sawyersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #707
RoTM
Local High School Star

RoTM has an OK reputation so far

warhammer 40k horus heresy - flight of the eisenstein

working my way through the whole series
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #708
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersauce
Hemmingway - which is mostly character driven, alcohol drenched literary fiction; The Sun Also Rises, The Old Man and The Sea, A Farewell to Arms.

Asimov - Hard Sci-fi and speculative fiction; The Gods Themselves, Any of the Robot short story collections, The Last Question is an awesome non-robot related short story.

McCarthy - Tends to be violent but ornate westerns, The Road is very different; Blood Meridian, Sutree, No Country, The Road.

William Gibson - Cyberpunk; Neuromancer (It's like a cross between the Matrix and Ocean's 11), Burning Chrome, Mona Lisa Overdrive.

King - Horror; The Stand, Skeleton Crew, Dark Tower Series especially The Drawing of the Three, Cell... He can be a little hit or miss.

General sci fi -
Orson Scott Card; Ender's Game
Frank Herbert; Dune
Kim Stanely Robinson; The Mars Trilogy

Surrealist -
DeLillo; Running Dog, White Noise.
Pynchon; Gravity's Rainbow.

Literary -
Chabon - Kavalier and Clay

I like your taste. I loved The Drawing of the Three.

Do you read Neal Stephenson? His post-cyberpunk writing is outstanding.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #709
sawyersauce
Great young streetballer

sawyersauce has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I like your taste. I loved The Drawing of the Three.

Do you read Neal Stephenson? His post-cyberpunk writing is outstanding.

Cheers,
I've heard good things about Snow Crash, but haven't actually read any Stephenson. I'm guessing you'd recomend him?

Drawing of the Three definately surprised me. It was probably the book that changed my perception of King, from being just a light-read entertainer to a serious prose-artist and storyteller. I suppose part of that is my preference for character centric novels, which it satisfied - but in general it had a more experimental/high concept feel to it.

This seems to be a pretty good thread. I don't post much on here and read mostly the NBA forum, the off court looks to have some interesting threads floating around though.
sawyersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #710
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersauce
Cheers,
I've heard good things about Snow Crash, but haven't actually read any Stephenson. I'm guessing you'd recomend him?

Drawing of the Three definately surprised me. It was probably the book that changed my perception of King, from being just a light-read entertainer to a serious prose-artist and storyteller. I suppose part of that is my preference for character centric novels, which it satisfied - but in general it had a more experimental/high concept feel to it.

This seems to be a pretty good thread. I don't post much on here and read mostly the NBA forum, the off court looks to have some interesting threads floating around though.

I would definitely recommend Neal Stephenson.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #711
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I just finished Blink, and I'm torn over what's next.

I've got more social science stuff. I can keep going backwards through Gladwell's stuff. I haven't read The Tipping Point yet and have it. And I have Super Freakenomics, and The Drunkard's Walk.

I read more true crime than anything, and I have Havanna Nights at home, about the Cuban/Mafia connection pre revolution.

I've also been sitting on Chariots of The Gods for a little more than a year, does anyone know if it's worth reading?
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #712
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #713
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Michael Connely "Black Ice."

Thanks for the reccomendation, Zen
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #714
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Michael Connely "Black Ice."

Thanks for the reccomendation, Zen

No problem.. Glad that you are sticking with that reccomendation.. Black Ice may not be his best but it will divulge a lot about Harry Bosch and his personality, its good but maybe not great.

The two following B.I. are stellar. 'Concrete Blonde' and 'The Last Coyote' will blow you away.

Hope you enjoy reading his novels.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #715
Waking_Life
El Fuego Del Saber

Waking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #716
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Has anyone read 'The Sixth Extinction'? I've been interested in reading it, but haven't gotten around to it.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #717
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

just finished Book I and it's excellent so far
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #718
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Im revisiting my childhood and reading up on the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. I hope im smart enough to remember to give my children these books when its time.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #719
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy20
Im revisiting my childhood and reading up on the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. I hope im smart enough to remember to give my children these books when its time.

It cannot be more emphesized how important it is to teach children the proper fundamentals of reading and writing. Also, you must inculcate love for literature in your children.

America is the land of the dumb.. we need to alter it one child at a time.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #720
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I was torn between a bunch of stuff, and finally decided to go with some light, ascerbic fiction, which I rarely read. So I just started Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Obviously a satirical retelling.

I've just started, but it's not really my thing. Even with zombies, I'm not a fan of the time period. And it's written in those short disjointed chapters, just like the real PnP, with the stuffy language that's particularly tricky with regard to describing zombie attacks. Mr. Darcy is a bad mo-fo though. And all of the daughters are well schooled in the deadly arts.

I'll stick it out.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: