Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #751
ZeN

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are you reading?

Caught by Harlan Coben - 8.5/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #752
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson - 8.5/10

Good writing and incredible research. The way he set the scenes with description and historical accounts was great to read. I didn't even know about the fair or the serial killer till I pickup this book.

Dune by Frank Herbert - 10/10

I got completely and totally swept up in the story. The depth of the political and religious elements was incredible. Great storytelling and the totality of his creation of the entire universe and its history is staggering. I loved it and recommend it to everyone.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #753
ZeN

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Dune by Frank Herbert - 10/10

I got completely and totally swept up in the story. The depth of the political and religious elements was incredible. Great storytelling and the totality of his creation of the entire universe and its history is staggering. I loved it and recommend it to everyone.

I read it not too long ago. I found it amazing how after so many years the concepts have held up so well, the commentary is still fresh and spot on.

I hope to read Dune Messiah some time soon.. I just have so many on my list already, that it may take a while. Plus, I've been lazy with my reading lately.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #754
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ill prob read the other 4 books in the series at some point. There are some books by Herberts son too but I doubt ill read those.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #755
ZeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Ill prob read the other 4 books in the series at some point. There are some books by Herberts son too but I doubt ill read those.

Ive read that the books written by his son and another author were not very good. Plus, Im always suspicious of books that are released posthumous.. because typically the products are made with money as its sole motivator. It reminds me of Eric Van Lustbader writing the Bourne books after Robert Ludlum's passing.. all the novels were awful, packed with nonsensical action and vacant of a good story.

Ill be reading Herberts Dune novels but not his son's...
Old 05-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #756
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

its ok right now. not that far into the book. its still not what i usually prefer though.

anyone know any actual books about someone young 13-15+ who is forced to learn how to fight, grows up, kills, etc... i dont think it exists.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #757
EroticVanilla
Sexual Chocolate=GOAT

EroticVanilla is popular on this boardEroticVanilla is popular on this boardEroticVanilla is popular on this boardEroticVanilla is popular on this board

Someone recommend me a thought stimulating book, something that truly explores the depths of the human condition/consciousness.
EroticVanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #758
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
anyone know any actual books about someone young 13-15+ who is forced to learn how to fight, grows up, kills, etc... i dont think it exists.

Yes, there is. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, check it out. The main difference is that the guy is younger than 13 (I think 10 maybe?). He is supposedly one of the smartest guys on the planet, and they need to train him to fight a war against an alien species. While training, he learns how to fight and then kills somebody during the training in space. It is a great book, slightly depressing at times. I think you will enjoy it though and learn much about the inner-being. I suggest reading the entire series, series (or journey rather) later becomes very spiritual at times - and no, not religious - especially when you get into the 4th book in the series called Children of the Mind and 5th book Speaker of the Dead. I do not know if you will go that far, try Ender's Game first. All of them won multiple awards (Ender's game and Speaker of the Dead each won Hugo and Nebula awards the year they each came out).

Last edited by bladefd : 05-22-2010 at 01:54 PM.
bladefd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #759
ZeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroticVanilla
Someone recommend me a thought stimulating book, something that truly explores the depths of the human condition/consciousness.

Have you read the bible? I mean that seriously.. because even if you dont 'believe' it still holds basic concepts and illustrations that help affirm a positive human condition.. Plus the poetic expressions of Psalms are freakin' stellar.. and the dark and despondent imagery in the book of Revelation are delectable to the depressive soul. And if you are seeking simple practical advise then read the book of Proverbs.. it gives basic principles that will aid you to be a better person. Even if you are not religious.. the content is still potent knowledge.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #760
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool

next up

Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #761
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Starting The Ghost Writer by Philip Roth now.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #762
EroticVanilla
Sexual Chocolate=GOAT

EroticVanilla is popular on this boardEroticVanilla is popular on this boardEroticVanilla is popular on this boardEroticVanilla is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Have you read the bible? I mean that seriously.. because even if you dont 'believe' it still holds basic concepts and illustrations that help affirm a positive human condition.. Plus the poetic expressions of Psalms are freakin' stellar.. and the dark and despondent imagery in the book of Revelation are delectable to the depressive soul. And if you are seeking simple practical advise then read the book of Proverbs.. it gives basic principles that will aid you to be a better person. Even if you are not religious.. the content is still potent knowledge.
Only the childrens bible

I only have a little pocket bible at my house, I could read it but it was my grandfathers so it's old and also one of the few things he left my dad, so I don't want to touch it in fear of ruining it.
EroticVanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #763
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #764
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Only about 20 pages in but if I could be one writer it would be Philip Roth. His style and storytelling is technical and elegant at the same time. I f'in worship this guy.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #765
ZeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroticVanilla
Only the childrens bible

I only have a little pocket bible at my house, I could read it but it was my grandfathers so it's old and also one of the few things he left my dad, so I don't want to touch it in fear of ruining it.
Dont underestimate the power of The Word..
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: