Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #826
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

Two classic must-reads from the 80s. Much much better than the films they inspired.

I love Tom Wolfe. He totally immerses himself in the world he is writing about.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #827
sawyersauce
I rule the local playground

Just finished my first Faulkner book. The man could paint with words. He's by far the most talented writer of imagery I've read, more than even McCarthy and Pynchon. I might go pick up The Sound and The Fury tomorrow. My only real complaints are that the prose are very dense, because of all the description and detail, one page read likes ten. Which I suppose isn't necessarily a bad thing. And I'm not really that interested in the whole post-civil war South setting.
sawyersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #828
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Two classic must-reads from the 80s. Much much better than the films they inspired.

I love Tom Wolfe. He totally immerses himself in the world he is writing about.

They have been on my list for a while. When I found them hidden behind other books, I snatched them up with the quickness, cradling them in my arm as if I had found a long lost child. Forget the fact that no one else was even in the book section and that they were probably there for a while just collecting dust.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #829
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersauce

Just finished my first Faulkner book. The man could paint with words. He's by far the most talented writer of imagery I've read, more than even McCarthy and Pynchon. I might go pick up The Sound and The Fury tomorrow. My only real complaints are that the prose are very dense, because of all the description and detail, one page read likes ten. Which I suppose isn't necessarily a bad thing. And I'm not really that interested in the whole post-civil war South setting.

I know it's blasphemous being from the South but I've always thought Faulkner and that book in particular are overrated. He borrows too much from James Joyce who I don't particularly like either but at least he was original.

The critics love him of course. Just not my taste.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #830
nolebball
Decent playground baller

nolebball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #831
Alonzo Magic
Mourning Glory

Trying to read Orwell's 1984. He's using unnecessary big boy words and the novel seems a little dormant.
Alonzo Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #832
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo Magic
Trying to read Orwell's 1984. He's using unnecessary big boy words and the novel seems a little dormant.

Buy a freakin' Dictionary.

1984 is brilliant. Plus, it doesn't matter if you don't read much because its a small book. You need to man up.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #833
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

1984 is brilliant. Plus, it doesn't matter if you don't read much because its a small book. You need to man up.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #834
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Right now Im reading 61 Hours by Lee Child. Im about 3/4 done..

I just finished 61 Hours. I liked Jack Reacher as I always do. However, this is one of the worst stories Lee has writen, the story hold very little characterization, the plot is boring and generic, and the cliffhanger is bland and uninspiring. Im surely going to read Lee's sequel that caps the story, this coming fall.. but Im not very excited about doing so. Lee Childs needs to return to the solid Man Fiction that he was churning out before..

I give 61 Hours a 7 out of 10.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #835
sawyersauce
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I know it's blasphemous being from the South but I've always thought Faulkner and that book in particular are overrated. He borrows too much from James Joyce who I don't particularly like either but at least he was original.

The critics love him of course. Just not my taste.

Yes, I'd agree that Faulkner wasn't the most innovative modernist author. But he certainly mastered his art. I haven't read The Sound and The Fury, so I can't comment specifically on that. But basing my opinion of Faulkner entirely on Absalom Absalom, I find him more accessible than Joyce (or tangible i suppose). He uses stream of conciousness as an effect rather than a mode of writing.

I didn't buy Sound and Fury.
Quickly brushed through a Koontz novel called "Your Heart Belongs to Me". I never admire or appreciate his work, but I usually enjoy it. Because I can just switch off - kind of like watching trashy action movies. But this was just so terrible I was actually embarrassed. I mean, I know he's just a pulp horror mass producer. But he needs to stop pumping out a novel every three months and actually dedicate himself to writing a book - come up with a decent concept and execute it - and stop using the same hackneyed desciptions over and over and forced "witty" dialogue.
sawyersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #836
Alonzo Magic
Mourning Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

No need to be condescending. The language hasn't grabbed me, and I didn't like one feature of the plot. Now, I'm not keen on a few of Orwell's theories regarding art, disagreeing, for instance, with his view that all art is in some sense politicised or propagandist, which formulation could, I think, just as easily and more truthfully be turned round.
Alonzo Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #837
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I've still yet to read anything by Faulkner or Kafka. I think I might read one of their works next.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #838
Clifton
talk less, say more

Quote:
Trying to read Orwell's 1984. He's using unnecessary big boy words
It's been awhile since I've read Orwell, but I remember his language being especially down-to-earth and easy to read. I definitely don't remember him using the wrong words. He always struck me as incredibly concise.

Quote:
I've still yet to read anything by Faulkner or Kafka. I think I might read one of their works next.
"Alas," said the mouse, "the whole world is growing smaller every day. At the beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad when I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said the cat, and ate it up.

-

You have now. What do you think?

I don't like Kafka that much. I'll take Jerzy Kosinski's Steps over anything Kafka's done.

As for me, I'm finally reading Lord of the Rings. I'm about 120 pages in so far.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #839
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

That tiny experpt from Kafka actually does look good to me despite the fact that its a small sample completely out of context. I think I'll move on to him next and then maybe Faulkner. I still have Atlas Shrugged that I want to get through this summer but it seems so daunting.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #840
artex
♫♪♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

You should check out Haruki Murakami
artex is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: