Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #901
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
I like MC. I really liked Timeline. What the Hell was wrong with that book lol?

He definitely has some shit books, Next was awful, but I like quite a few of his books.

Edit- yeah, Twilight was seriously written horribly. Her writing was extremely redundant. It's a ****ing fantasy book, therefore lending itself to infinite possibility in how creative she can be with it. The story itself has potential at the roots, but she follows every single cliche in the book and makes a massive failure. She literally showed zero creativity, aside from making vampires sparkle like ****ing diamonds in the sun. Those books are literally mindless. Characters are boring for the most part.

You know what's really funny?

here's an excerpt form the wiki entry on Twilight:

Quote:
According to the author, her books are "about life, not death" and "love, not lust".[15] Each book in the series was inspired by and loosely based on a different literary classic: Twilight on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, New Moon on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Eclipse on Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights, and Breaking Dawn on a second Shakespeare play, A Midsummer Night's Dream.[16] Meyer also states that Orson Scott Card and L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series are a big influence on her writing.[13]

How could this woman be so delusional that she believes there's ANY connection between the dribble she's put on paper as compared to the works of Shakespeare, Austen, Orson SCott Card etc is pretty funny to me.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #902
BoogieWoogieMan
Redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
I was partly exaggerating for effect. The point I was trying to bring up was "book phenomenals" like Twilight and Harry Potter have in large part changed the way publishing firms approach authors and books in an industry that has seen gradually decreasing profit margins.

But yes MC is infinitely better than Stephanie Meyer. Meyers writes like she's mentally handicapped.

MC has been around a lot longer then the twilight and Harry Potter series and a lot of people enjoy his books, especially time line. I hate the fame that the Harry Potter books have received but they are a decent read yet no where near a master piece like some people consider it to be.

And i fully agree that Stephanie Meyer has to be retarded and it sickens me why these teenie boppers are throwing their money away to watch this junk.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #903
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I felt that the concept behind Next was decent but his execution of the idea was horrid. The writing was worse than pedestrian. Its too bad that he never refined his writing because it would have been great to see along with his good story lines.

Yeah, I definitely felt that he could have done better with it. Compared to his other works, I thought the concept was still weak (Aliens, Time travel, nanotechnology evolution, etc). In regards to the characters, he spread himself too thin, with too many characters. It's hard to get real attached to 10 different characters and really care what happens to them when they are spread out over 500 pages.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #904
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
You know what's really funny?

here's an excerpt form the wiki entry on Twilight:

How could this woman be so delusional that she believes there's ANY connection between the dribble she's put on paper as compared to the works of Shakespeare, Austen, Orson SCott Card etc is pretty funny to me.

That absolutely blows my mind. I've read both of those Shakespeare works (as they are probably the two most common/popular ones; at least to my knowledge) and I find it ludicrous that she could even say she based her books on anything remotely close to Shakespeare. I don't draw any parallels between them really. Maybe at the lowest possible level, but it was so poorly done that it is irrelevant, as in you could see where the inspiration can be paralleled, but the execution would never make me guess that in a million years.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #905
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid

Sputnik is probably one of the most heartfelt and personal of murakami's novels. Underrated as hell too. I'm glad someone else is enjoying it. I remember when I was a young teenager, books like sputnik sweetheart provided me company when I felt disconnected from the rest of my peers. In many ways Murakami has been an important figure in my adolescence, his presence always comforted me in my most difficult times. Hope that his novels have similar effects on you.l
Old 07-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #906
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

According to the author, her books are "about life, not death" and "love, not lust".[15] Each book in the series was inspired by and loosely based on a different literary classic: Twilight on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, New Moon on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Eclipse on Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights, and Breaking Dawn on a second Shakespeare play, A Midsummer Night's Dream.[16] Meyer also states that Orson Scott Card and L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series are a big influence on her writing.[13]

that's....just unbelievable. pride & prejudice and great expectations are my favorite novels and for a writer to .......i'll just stop.

i love classic literature. i just love how the language flows, i love the subtlety of the works; they're not as much about criticising the social realities of the time in which they were written as high school and college courses would have you to believe. they're just more of poking fun at the situations that the respective authors had to deal with in their time. it's the type of thought that has always existed, but nothing today is quite as eloquent. even wuthering heights, a novel in which none of the characters have redeeming qualities, is more gripping than modern writing to me.

i've been trying to break out of the 'classics' mode and read some more contemporary stuff. i always liked bret easton ellis after american psycho, which i admittedly read after seeing the movie. but there's something there, there's something in that novel, a current that runs through all legitimate authors.

currently i'm reading charles bukowski's women and another of his novels, ham on rye. it's definitely not high literature, but it doesn't pretend to be. it's just the honest stories of a 50-60 year old drunk enjoying his minor fame, and reminiscing on his childhood and events that lead to him becoming a drunk poet who bangs 20 year-olds.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #907
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

One of the best books, I've read in a long time. So much detail, facts and stories. I watched a clip of Bill Walton talking about this book just the other day and he said how the book captured his imagination, well, it has certainly captured mine. Just a fantastic book and I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #908
Dasher
NBA Superstar

Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #909
Bird
I Drain 3's

Currently reading "The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to the Sports Guy", by Bill Simmons.

It's my second time through. The book (and this past season) have really brought me back to the sport of basketball.

I basically walked away from really watching it after the 06 Finals and it was made easier when I got stationed here in Germany, as it is almost impossible to watch any live games.

If you haven't read it, I highly suggest it. Some really good things in the book.

Next up for me is Jonathan Kellerman's "Bones". Big Kellerman fan, i've never read it, have high hopes for it.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #910
Bird
I Drain 3's

I also forgot to mention that I have 1984 on my reading que, it's actually on my laptop.

Whenever I have late night duty, I am sure it will make a great read (read it in High School, enjoyed it then).

Anyone happen to have a decent copy of Aminal Farm? I haven't read it since high school and all the copies I have found since then were absolutely in terrible shape.

Or know a place other than eBay and Amazon that sells books?
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #911
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
currently i'm reading charles bukowski's women and another of his novels, ham on rye. it's definitely not high literature, but it doesn't pretend to be. it's just the honest stories of a 50-60 year old drunk enjoying his minor fame, and reminiscing on his childhood and events that lead to him becoming a drunk poet who bangs 20 year-olds.

Bukowski is awesome. I certainly wouldn't feel the need to apologize for liking his books. Check out Post Office, that was my favorite of Chinaski novels.

If you are trying to get into some more contemporary novels I recommend
The Movie Goer, great book from the 60s. If you enjoy existenialism or any sort of philosophy the book will have you glued.

Pale Fire if you never read this check it out. You mentioned you enjoy language from classic books and poems well Nabokov's use of language and structure is unprecedented here.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #912
ZeN
Stormblessed

I am currently reading all the books in the Onslaught saga.

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #913
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Bukowski is awesome. I certainly wouldn't feel the need to apologize for liking his books. Check out Post Office, that was my favorite of Chinaski novels.

If you are trying to get into some more contemporary novels I recommend
The Movie Goer, great book from the 60s. If you enjoy existenialism or any sort of philosophy the book will have you glued.

Pale Fire if you never read this check it out. You mentioned you enjoy language from classic books and poems well Nabokov's use of language and structure is unprecedented here.

i saw this post, and appreciate the reply. i'll get back to you once i get to checking out this stuff, and not just 'sucking on some beers' as ol' chinaski would put it.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #914
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

I am currently reading all the books in the Onslaught saga.

Haha, brushing up on your comic knowledge I see.

(I was actually considering doing that myself, but I have never liked comics ).
Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #915
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932

(I was actually considering doing that myself, but I have never liked comics ).

First I was like: Then I turned:

Reaction Due To Your Being In The Comic Book Draft..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: