Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #901
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: What are you reading?

It took me months, but I've finally given up on Pride Prejudice and Zombies. That victorian era language just absolutely kills me. I have the damndest time keeping track of who's who. The fun parts are really pretty fun. The attacks are pretty well written. And Lizzy's acerbic wit has more than one moment, but I'm about half way through it and I just need a break. That was like a three month stretch, of which I did get heavily distracted by a video game (Red Dead Redemption), among a few other things, but it did include a week off from work convelesing from knee surgery, and a jury duty stint. And I still just couldn't muscle through it.

So I picked up something I've had for a while that looked right up my alley. Sway. It's one of those parade of Malcolm Gladwell knockoffs that float around these days, but it sounded good, so I grabbed it. I ripped through a quarter of it last night, about 70 pages, and could easily finish it this weekend. Maybe this light psych study can loosen me up enough to get back to the serious business of victorian zombie novels. If you like Gladwell's stuff, which I do, and have read it all and are looking for something in the same vein, even seventy pages in I'd strongly recommend it. I also have The Drunkard's Walk, which is another of the Gladwell inspired books, but haven't started it. And Super Freakenomics, of which the first I loved.

Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #902
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Screwtape Letters was brillaint. 10/10.

I feel like I need to expand on why the book was so great.

The amount of insight and wisdom packed into that short little book is incredible. There were times when I would put it down mid-letter and just say, "Holy shit." It really made me take a step back and re-evaluate the way I viewed certain things and the way I was living. It also has a ton of quotable moments.

Here is one of my favorite where he talks about how people get upset about when they are forced to spend time they weren't planning on doing or "wasting" time doing something for another. Basically considering time "ours" and that it is being taken from us:

"Man can neither make, nor retain, one moment of time; it all comes to him by pure gift; he might as well regard the sun and the moon as his chattels."

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 07-07-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #903
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I think I'm going to read this next:

Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #904
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

Dean Koontz's Odd thomas is a really good read, highly recommend it

BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #905
ZeN

I too, love Odd Thomas. The first 3 novels I really enjoyed, but the fourth one (Odd Hours) was a horridly sad dissapointment. It really held no story nor ending, and I hope the next installment makes some sense of that book.

Dean Koontz has really dissapointed me in his latest works.. and Im hesitant to explore any of his new stuff. The last Frankenstein book was a dissapointment.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #906
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I too, love Odd Thomas. The first 3 novels I really enjoyed, but the fourth one (Odd Hours) was a horridly sad dissapointment. It really held no story nor ending, and I hope the next installment makes some sense of that book.

Dean Koontz has really dissapointed me in his latest works.. and Im hesitant to explore any of his new stuff. The last Frankenstein book was a dissapointment.

I feel the same about Stephen King, they both hit a point where their writing is still top notch but their story telling has fallen apart. their lastest books have been below average. But because of their name is practically a brand now, they sells are pretty high, its like they don't even try anymore.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #907
ZeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
I feel the same about Stephen King, they both hit a point where their writing is still top notch but their story telling has fallen apart. their lastest books have been below average. But because of their name is practically a brand now, they sells are pretty high, its like they don't even try anymore.

I think Dean Koontz is trying to milk his 'brand name' for all its worth. He will create a book out of any flimsy idea. His novels, lately, are complete rush jobs. He has a novel out like everything 3 months.

If he really cares about not burning his name out, he should stop and meditate on good concepts and limit himself to a couple novels a year. If he continues with his current M.O. a lot of people will end up abandoning him as I am flirting with doing. Koontz really does seem to just be duplicating his previous work and rehashing the same ideas.

King is somewhat the same way.. but I cant really speak ill of him because I have enjoyed many of his 'modern' novels. I loved his Dark Tower series.. so I give him more room for error.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #908
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

I just started this one, 50 pages in, I was suppose to read it a long time ago but was flopping hard. Finally decided to give it a chance and its looking good so far

Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #909
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
I just started this one, 50 pages in, I was suppose to read it a long time ago but was flopping hard. Finally decided to give it a chance and its looking good so far

I would suggest you stop. Michael Crichton is an alarmist hack. The success of writers like him and the chick who wrote Twilight makes me fear for the future of the publishing industry.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #910
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
I would suggest you stop. Michael Crichton is an alarmist hack. The success of writers like him and the chick who wrote Twilight makes me fear for the future of the publishing industry.

He surely wasn't the best at what he did, but to compare Crichton with that twilight ***** is just insane and a really big stretch, she should seriously rot in hell. I'm going to still give the book a chance and see where it goes but when i start feeling I'm only reading the book for the sake of finishing it, I will stop.

thanks for the heads up tho
Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #911
ZeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey

MC may not be a laureate.. But no way should he be compared to Stephenie Meyer.

Sure MC has delivered a good amount of duds but novels like Sphere, Jurassic Park, Disclosure, and The Rising Sun should gain him some measure of respect.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #912
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
MC may not be a laureate.. But no way should he be compared to Stephenie Meyer.

Sure MC has delivered a good amount of duds but novels like Sphere, Jurassic Park, Disclosure, and The Rising Sun should gain him some measure of respect.

I was partly exaggerating for effect. The point I was trying to bring up was "book phenomenals" like Twilight and Harry Potter have in large part changed the way publishing firms approach authors and books in an industry that has seen gradually decreasing profit margins.

But yes MC is infinitely better than Stephanie Meyer. Meyers writes like she's mentally handicapped.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #913
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

I like MC. I really liked Timeline. What the Hell was wrong with that book lol?

He definitely has some shit books, Next was awful, but I like quite a few of his books.

Edit- yeah, Twilight was seriously written horribly. Her writing was extremely redundant. It's a ****ing fantasy book, therefore lending itself to infinite possibility in how creative she can be with it. The story itself has potential at the roots, but she follows every single cliche in the book and makes a massive failure. She literally showed zero creativity, aside from making vampires sparkle like ****ing diamonds in the sun. Those books are literally mindless. Characters are boring for the most part.

Last edited by Juges8932 : 07-11-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #914
ZeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
He definitely has some shit books, Next was awful, but I like quite a few of his books.

I felt that the concept behind Next was decent but his execution of the idea was horrid. The writing was worse than pedestrian. Its too bad that he never refined his writing because it would have been great to see along with his good story lines.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #915
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: