Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #931
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Default Re: What are you reading?

Pretty good read. Fast-paced and attention-getting writing style.

8/10
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #932
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh

Pretty good read. Fast-paced and attention-getting writing style.

8/10

The whole Myron Bolitar series is really good. Coben is one of my favorite mystery writers.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #933
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I'm thinking about taking on Stephen King's "The Stand."

If I'm not feeling up to that, I may get "Duma Key." Sounds intriguing, though some of his newer books are really hit/miss.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #934
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I'm thinking about taking on Stephen King's "The Stand."

If I'm not feeling up to that, I may get "Duma Key." Sounds intriguing, though some of his newer books are really hit/miss.

Duma Key is the only Ive liked from his newer stuff. It has solid characterization and the supernatural is creepy. Its a long one as usual but certainly worth reading.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #935
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Duma Key is the only Ive liked from his newer stuff. It has solid characterization and the supernatural is creepy. Its a long one as usual but certainly worth reading.

How do you have time to read all this stuff? If you never posted online, things would be different.

Do you just never sleep?
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #936
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

short stories of ernest hemingway. they can be hit or miss at times, but some of them are just incredible.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #937
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by benJAMin
Just finished:

Just started:

Preston and Child are probably my favorite authors. I read The Relic when it came out and have hooked on them since.

I read very little fiction, but I did read Preston's colaboration with Mario Spezi, The Monster of Florence, and it was great. One of my favorites. I do read a lot of true crime, which isn't always so elegantly written, but that was exquisitely done for the genre, and a fascinating story, and it's got more than a little first person, as he gets himself involved in the case, which would probably be even more interesting for you than it was for me seeing as your actually into him.

All that's assuming you haven't read it, which you may have.

I just finished Sway, and as I suspected, it's a shameless knockoff of a Malcolm Gladwell novel. It started out pretty strong, but felt like it was repeating itself but renaming it's theories as it went on. A really easy read though. I think I finished it in four days.

I haven't started up anything else yet. I may jump on Super Freakonomics. Loved the first one. I could go back and try to finish Pride Prejudice and Zombies, but I'm just not ready to dig back into that awfull victorian linguistics again. Not finishing something really burns my biscuits though.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #938
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

I haven't started up anything else yet. I may jump on Super Freakonomics. Loved the first one. I could go back and try to finish Pride Prejudice and Zombies, but I'm just not ready to dig back into that awfull victorian linguistics again. Not finishing something really burns my biscuits though.

report back on freakonomics pt. 2. i loved that first one. it came out right as i declared my econ major in college so i was all over it. the concepts discussed are a little gimmicky, and obviously embellished for marketing purposes ("a rogue economist investigates..."...need i say more) but as far as i've been able to look into the data used, it's pretty solid. the first was an interesting read for anybody, i think. i even used the abortion chapter to spin off a couple of research papers.

and pride and prejudice and zombies, i'm offended someone would use pop culture to sully that novel. i can easily understand people not taking to the "victorian linguistics" as you put it, but i love that novel, and as i get older and become more of a stickler, i just hate to see this kind of thing happen.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #939
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
short stories of ernest hemingway. they can be hit or miss at times, but some of them are just incredible.

Short stories of Julio Cortazar, all hits and no miss. haha, but seriously I want to recommend some spanish writers like

Borges
Cortazar
Marquez
Allende

whose short stories have all been better than their novels imo

Magic realism is such an amazing genre a lot of contemporary american writers have borrowed many elements and devices from spanish writers in their writing and have been in part unfairly heralded as imaginative.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #940
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
Short stories of Julio Cortazar, all hits and no miss. haha, but seriously I want to recommend some spanish writers like

Borges
Cortazar
Marquez
Allende

whose short stories have all been better than their novels imo

Magic realism is such an amazing genre a lot of contemporary american writers have borrowed many elements and devices from spanish writers in their writing and have been in part unfairly heralded as imaginative.

this was something i was extremely into in college. discovering this whole genre/style of writing, whatever you want to call it, is great. the thrill of it, if you will, didn't last for me, but this type of stuff convinced me to follow through on a spanish major. (yes, my last two posts in this thread have summed up my college reading experience).
Old 07-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #941
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

In vein of these type of books I recommend Sex, Drug and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman. One of the best popular culture essayist around. His humorous yet insightful observations cerainly will make you look at your friends and peers in different light.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #942
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
How do you have time to read all this stuff? If you never posted online, things would be different.

Do you just never sleep?

I post and read at work. I work the graveyard shift and it gives me heavy pockets of free time to do as I wish. I post from my phone and read downloaded ebooks on my phones.

Working at night really screws up your sleeping.. so it does feel like im awake at all kinds of hours.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #943
SportyShorty
Saw a basketball once

Dan brown - angels and Demons
SportyShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #944
LMS4
Learning to shoot layups

Oh just the good ol' Twilight Series. I love to reread them.

But, I will have to read and soon, Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare.
I have never been interested in his literature, but I guess we'll see.
LMS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #945
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

A book about Tet 1968.

Shit fascinates me.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: