Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #961
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are you reading?

Picked up a few books today:

I don't have a lot of interest in the subject (it is baseball, though)....but it's Stephen King, and it was dirt cheap.

and........

mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #962
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
In vein of these type of books I recommend Sex, Drug and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman. One of the best popular culture essayist around. His humorous yet insightful observations cerainly will make you look at your friends and peers in different light.

I've read most of Klosterman's stuff. I always feel like his essays are a little hit or miss. I remember reading something of his and thinking it was brilliant, and then a chapter later wondering why the hell I was reading it. I really love the ride along he did with the Guns n Roses cover band, and the whole cover band culture.

He's also spectacular in long form interviews. I love when he's on Bill Simmons' podcasts. He never seems like an expert on stuff, but he has just enough base knowledge on such a wide array of topics that he can seemingly make these weird connections from almost any topic to almost any other.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #963
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I dont think Ive picked up a novel in two weeks.. caught up watching The Wire..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #964
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I dont think Ive picked up a novel in two weeks.. caught up watching The Wire..

Nothing wrong with that.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #965
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Nothing wrong with that.
Im currently 3 episodes away from finishing Season 4. Im quite sure that it wont take me too long to finish season 5 as well..

Then I may get some time to read a bit more..
Old 07-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #966
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 8/10

Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #967
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i need to pick up another book soon, before i get into the grind of college
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #968
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

I just read all of The Lovely Bones in one day. Great book. It drags on a little but in a good way. It explains what happens to the characters.

I felt like the first 270 or so pages were the main story and the last 100 were explaining what happens after the main story. Which I like because I hate reading a book and having questions as to what happens next to the characters. Its a good book.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #969
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
i need to pick up another book soon, before i get into the grind of college
I would never have found this completely hilarious until I graduated college and realized what I called a "grind" during my four years of school is dramatically different than the real world "grind."
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:12 AM   #970
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really like this book. Has anyone ever read any of the other Billy Chaka stories? Are they all pretty good?
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #971
DirtBag
Hero's Herald

DirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just started it as bathroom material, pretty good but only finished the first chapter
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #972
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I would never have found this completely hilarious until I graduated college and realized what I called a "grind" during my four years of school is dramatically different than the real world "grind."

yeah, i feel you, but the college grind really did hurt my ability to appreciate reading material of my own choosing, since the work part of college is essentially all reading, with the occasional shake-up of writing.

and i'm reading national geographic's october 1986 "soviets in space" issue. amazing how much of their resources the soviet union devoted to space exploration compared to their relative lack of resources to the united states.

Last edited by brooks_thompson : 08-09-2010 at 06:54 AM.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #973
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well, I was reading bill simmons book of bball. Pretty entertaining, especially the footnotes, but I grew tired of all the rankings and lists, since I see all that as a waste of time.

My current shitter book is Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to all Creation, which I am re-reading. Very entertaining writing style and a ton of interesting reproductive biology presented.

I have also started reading a newer book, Pandora's Seed, by spencer wells, a renowned geneticist.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #974
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag

Just started it as bathroom material, pretty good but only finished the first chapter
I have this book. Read it a couple years ago so a lot of it has left my mind, but I remember it being an interesting read especially when he starts training at Fairtex.

Gonna start this 900+ page bad boy today. Anyone read it before?
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #975
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

airchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just finished...

Just started..

airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: