Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #1156
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
I kind of enjoyed the alchemist when I read it a long time ago, but that was before realising how big of a douche Coelho is. Now I can't stand the guy or his spiritual charlatanism.
I'm currently re-reading Hopscotch, by Julio Cortázar for the 3rd. time. I strongly recommend it.

That book is so awesome. I want to eventually read it every possible way.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #1157
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
That book is so awesome. I want to eventually read it every possible way.

The first time I read it I followed a straight order, and the second time I followed the alternate order suggested by the author. Two completely different novels. Now I'm reading it in a totally random order. It's probably one of the most amazing books ever written imo.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #1158
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Would you guys reccomend the James Patterson Alex Cross series?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #1159
Quata
TheBogeyOne

Quote:
I kind of enjoyed the alchemist when I read it a long time ago, but that was before realising how big of a douche Coelho is. Now I can't stand the guy or his spiritual charlatanism.
I'm currently re-reading Hopscotch, by Julio Cortázar for the 3rd. time. I strongly recommend it.
After a while you start to realise that the majority of authors are all just self-obsessed souls striving to assert their views onto you and/or just love to spew bs. I try and take the good with the bad, coelho has been through some shit in his life and has actually experienced a tonne of things, so at least it is based on personal experience at times.
Aldous Huxley is a cracker, he just trips out and writes jibberish, very interesting/sometimes insightful.

Will definitely check out hopscotch sometime soon, on hols so muchos reading time, heard good things about it from others too.
Quata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #1160
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
The first time I read it I followed a straight order, and the second time I followed the alternate order suggested by the author. Two completely different novels. Now I'm reading it in a totally random order. It's probably one of the most amazing books ever written imo.

Yeah, I agree. The concept of the book is mindblowing. Im not even sure how someone would go about constructing something like it. Its truly a work of genius.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #1161
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

I'm finishing the last book in the Hyperion series, "Rise of Endymion"

Just finished the John Starks autobiography
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #1162
Fatal9
owwwww

Starting this tonight. Hope it's good. Tom Sawyer was my favorite novel growing up. Huck was good too (liked Tom better, both the novel and the character). Prince and Pauper, I remember not really liking but I should revisit it. This one I've been meaning to read for a while though, bought the book 3-4 years ago and completely forgot about it.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #1163
EarlTheGoat
Banned

"Meditations" of Marco Aurelio.

Wise but boring.
EarlTheGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #1164
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

The Passage by Justin Cronin - 8/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #1165
vinsane01
National High School Star

Abduction by Robin Cook
vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:24 AM   #1166
momo
Value Ape.

His Way: An Unauthorized Biography Of Frank Sinatra
Kitty Kelly

Fukcing crazy... I knew some of his history already but I had no idea how wild some of it was. He was wild as hell, extremely powerful, violent, generous to a fault and a zillion other contradictions.

Great read so far, I recommend it to anyone. Don't have to be a fan of the Chairman or even a music fan to appreciate it.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #1167
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9

Starting this tonight. Hope it's good. Tom Sawyer was my favorite novel growing up. Huck was good too (liked Tom better, both the novel and the character). Prince and Pauper, I remember not really liking but I should revisit it. This one I've been meaning to read for a while though, bought the book 3-4 years ago and completely forgot about it.

i love this book, found it way funnier than tom/huck.

i was hoping somebody would write something like that in the lotr setting, with a title like: "a space marine in middle-earth"
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #1168
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I'm determined to finish Absalom, Absalom! by Friday afternoon. I've neglected it due to finals and have a little over 100 pages left.

Tonight I'll be reading this in between listening to music/watching the rest of the Mavs game:

Haven't read much of anything from Eliot before picking this up and I immediately became a fan after reading The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #1169
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

wuthering heights by emily bronte.

i thought i hated it the first time i read it last year. but, something has compelled me to pick it up and read it again. all of the characters are despicable, but as i get into it for a second time, i think that's something that makes the book worthwhile.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #1170
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

The book was slow in development and I was lukewarm about the first half of it. I didn't find the characters of Ellen, Rosa, Judith, etc to be very compelling.

However, the first half had the important purpose of developing the myth of Thomas Sutpen and the events between Henry and Charles Bon which would be further developed in the last 150 pages or so of the book in the dicussion between Shreve and Quentin.

Those last 150 pages are as good as any work of fiction I have ever read. The language used by Faulkner seems to be just as beautiful and eloquent as the first half of the book but is now supported by the deep characters and plot between Sutpen, Henry, and Charles. The language seems less frivolous and redundant than before and develops a more poignant quality.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: