Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #1156
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: What are you reading?

I've been flying through Great Expectations. Great book.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #1157
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Great, great book. Very readable and emotional story. I couldn't help but be immersed by the character of Pip and invest myself emotionally in the story. His relationship with Joe was especially touching. I'd love to punch Pumblechook in the face though.

Dickens' distain for the class structure, upper class, materialism, etc are boldly evident throughout the book.

If you haven't read this book, make sure you do.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #1158
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Forgot I read half of this during the semester and decided to finish it.

Pretty good introductory book on the pros and cons of market behavior and it provides a variety of real life examples to understand how markets operate in a variety of situations. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking to get a basic understanding of markets and how government interventions can hurt/help.

He's big on market design and auctions because that is his particular area of expertise. He helped to design the 1994 auction of the electomagnetic spectrum to the telecommunications industry.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #1159
JerrySteakhouse
WE MISS U CHALMERS :(

Anyone read this?
JerrySteakhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #1160
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I haven't been able to read much lately.. I try to read but my focus is off and I become disinterested. Last week I started two books and I hope to continue them sometime in the near future.

I have read about one fourth pages of Nick Horby's Juliet,Naked and about 50 pages of Stieg Larsson's Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest.
Frakkin' A.. I never returned to reading these books.. I actually started reading the second Charlie 'Bird' Parker novel called 'Dark Hollow' by John Connolly. Ive read about 200 pages out of 520. Im going to end up with a bunch of unfinished novels..
ZeN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #1161
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySteakhouse

Anyone read this?

Yep, I loved it.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #1162
JerrySteakhouse
WE MISS U CHALMERS :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Yep, I loved it.

Good to hear someone liked it. Heard good things about it, planning to read it next.
JerrySteakhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #1163
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

I finished this a week or two ago. To me, Stephen Jay Gould is a truly perfect delegate for science in disseminating technical information to laymens. It's not an easy role to play contrary to popular belief, and a lot of people either abuse it or fail to live up to its importance. But every so often, a Carl Sagan or a Neil Degrasse Tyson or a Brian Green (I know, all my other examples are physicists) comes along and frames the most complex ideas in astonishing simplicity without doing a disservice to the science.

This book is a 'philosophy of science' book. The concept is actually very straightforward, though the ideas are not. Gould corners the seminal works of three fathers of modern geology; one villain, Thomas Burnet, and two heroes, James Hutton and Charles Lyell. Every working geologist has heard of these three most important of men, and their legacies are well documented. Or I should say, they're documented - not very well, according to Gould.

The entire book is a convincing attack on what he coins 'textbook cardboard' - oversimplified and romanticized accounts of scientists which unintentionally cram their reputations and legacies into cookie cutter frameworks, like 'creationist', or 'biblical literalist', or 'empirical scientist'. These reinventions too often fail to recognize the underlying complexity and worldviews of the most famous scientists history can name.

I won't give away any of the storylines that Gould paints for each of these three men, but through direct quotation from both the original works and later interpretations, he exposes as imagined the legacies of each, for better or for worse. The chapter on Lyell in particular was both inspiring and eye opening. The Charles Lyell of textbooks is misrepresented as a sort of empirical robot who finds facts and arranges them in the only way they can be arranged, according to the laws of the beloved scientific method.

I haven't mentioned anything about the title, which is the front and center dichotomatic theme that winds its way through the entire book. SJG writes that he had read each of the three landmark geology texts many times before, but it wasn't until he read them within the context of the age old conflict between time's linear arrow and time's immanent cycle that he truly understood the real thrust of each argument. And using direct quotes, he illustrates the truly grand and masterful visions for which each man stood.

More than anything else, this book is a warning of the disillusions of science. All hail hard evidence has its time and its place and is undoubtedly respectable, but too often the world falls victim to over-flattery of the scientific method, and forgets just what sort of being it is actually acting out the process. Man is not a computing robot, he is a visionary with his own biases and his own interpretations. He is flawed, in short, and while holding him to a standard of perfection like the scientific method is unremittingly beneficial for accuracy, projecting that very standard into real human scientists themselves is a mistake with major consequences. And following that, looking back to times predating the scientific revolution we're still experiencing and laughing at ideas deemed 'primitive' is a worthless endeavor that only highlights our own flaws. Gould takes loony ideas that most people would think to crazy for an internet page and contextualizes them, humanizes their authors, and based on those facts, reinterprets their plausibility.

I think I'm going to return to this book in five or maybe ten years. I'm actually going to plan to do it. Modern scientific paradigms in the realm of the philosophy of science deserve to be critiqued, even if only for its unbridled arrogance. I think as I continue to explore everything scientists around the world are currently undertaking, this book will become more and more important.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #1164
NastaMaverick
College star

Got Jay-Z: Decoded and Larry Bird & Magic Johnson: When the Game was ours for Christmas, switching back and forth atm..
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #1165
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Just started The Picture of Dorian Gray and I'm ****ing mesmorized.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #1166
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySteakhouse
Good to hear someone liked it. Heard good things about it, planning to read it next.

Read all of his books. They're amazing.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #1167
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Just started The Picture of Dorian Gray and I'm ****ing mesmorized.

that's one of my favorite book. Love to hear your take on it when you finish.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #1168
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
that's one of my favorite book. Love to hear your take on it when you finish.

Will do. I always try to remember to post in here when I've finished a book and make a review on my goodreads account.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:59 PM   #1169
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

I got Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain for Christmas. Super excited.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #1170
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

About to finish Huck Finn tonight, and start The Tyranny of Words.

I asked for and got it for Christmas. I can't wait.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: