Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #1186
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: What are you reading?

Where would you download books from on that e-reader? Is there an option for a kindle app or something like that? My dad and his wife (yes I'm petty enough to refuse to not say stepmom) just got an Ipad and Kindle so I can use those if I want to but I can get the same books for even cheaper at the local used book store. I also prefer having the book in my hands.

And definitely make time to read The Picture of Dorian Gray. I'm a little over half way through and its great.
Jailblazers7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #1187
LilBTheBasedGod

Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #1188
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

A zombie apocalypse told through the eyes of a soldier in journal format.

Last edited by glidedrxlr22 : 12-29-2010 at 01:12 PM.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #1189
chrisxuk

I'm reading The Situation's book, lol.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #1190
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
So my mother got my some third rate e-reader for Christmas. It's a Literatti, from the Sharper Image. I've never really wanted any of these e-readers. I for some reason like having an actual book in my hands. I was gonna return it, but I found out she got it with a bunch of cupons, and during some huge sale, so I'm only gonna get like 70 bucks for it. At that rate, I sorta feel like I'm better off just keeping the thing. How bad could it be? Anyone know anything about it?

I've always wanted to read Dorian Gray.
If you are a torrent downloader then you can get thousands of books online.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #1191
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

My wife has a kindle and loves it. It's great when traveling/on vacation because you have multiple books with you without them taking up room in your luggage.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #1192
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
My wife has a kindle and loves it. It's great when traveling/on vacation because you have multiple books with you without them taking up room in your luggage.
I too love having 100's of books in my phone.. My only issue with reading them is that the bright light tends to mess with my eyes after a considerable amount of reading time.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #1193
chrisxuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I too love having 100's of books in my phone.. My only issue with reading them is that the bright light tends to mess with my eyes after a considerable amount of reading time.

And that's why ereaders are excellent. Their E-ink means there is no strain on your eyes. It looks as if you are reading off've paper like from a normal book.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #1194
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I might just reference this entire book when asked about my favorite quotes from literature. There are so many golden quips and social observations in this book. Some are clever, some thought provoking, some humorous. There is no denying Wilde’s incredible talent for storytelling and wit.

Lord Henry was the driver of the story. The aphorisms presented through this character are whimsical and clever but also hold some truth about society and the individual. These observances are really what made the book so fascinating for me. This is partly because of the quotes themselves and partly because of the way they affected Dorian and molded his character. The cynical and flippant nature of these quotes should be taken into consideration, which is something Dorian fails realize and becomes a fatal flaw. Dorian’s youth was a focal point of his character but, instead of being something for him to benefit from and enjoy, it actually corrupts him because of his naiveté. His youth was a detriment because he was unable to see past the surface of Lord Henry’s charming theories and ideas. He lost the innocence that Basil saw in him and began an unfulfilling life that fit the imagination of Lord Henry. There is a quote in Ch. 2 that goes, “Because to influence a person is to give one’s own soul. He does not think his natural thoughts, or burn his natural passions…” This quote pretty much sums up the degradation of Dorian’s soul and Dorian’s effect on those that he associates with later on in the book.

I think it’s kind of surprising that this novel was used against him in his trials that led to his imprisonment and exile. It depicts characters that are highly immoral but the character of Dorian is more of a cautionary tale than a glorification of a pleasure chasing lifestyle.

Anyway, I thought the book was fantastic. Beautifully written by a true master of literature.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #1195
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Been reading Prufrock and Other Observations by T.S. Eliot tonight. Rhapsody on a Windy Night is someting I hadn't read until tonight and the last 4 or so lines really punched me in the gut. Great collection of poems.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #1196
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I'm more than halfway through "Worth Dying For" by Lee Children. Great, easy read, and full of the usual Jack Reacher action.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #1197
jasonresno
Banned

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I'm on book 2 right now. This is my second time through it.
jasonresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #1198
Dasher
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
So my mother got my some third rate e-reader for Christmas. It's a Literatti, from the Sharper Image. I've never really wanted any of these e-readers. I for some reason like having an actual book in my hands. I was gonna return it, but I found out she got it with a bunch of cupons, and during some huge sale, so I'm only gonna get like 70 bucks for it. At that rate, I sorta feel like I'm better off just keeping the thing. How bad could it be? Anyone know anything about it?

I've always wanted to read Dorian Gray.
Most libraries give you the option of checking out e-book versions of their collections. I have considered copping an e-reader just to be able to do that.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #1199
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisxuk
And that's why ereaders are excellent. Their E-ink means there is no strain on your eyes. It looks as if you are reading off've paper like from a normal book.
I havent done any research on them because it seemed futile for me to get an e-reader since I have a phone that allows me to read ebooks. However, if the reading quality is that big of a difference.. then I may have to seek out some info.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #1200
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I'm more than halfway through "Worth Dying For" by Lee Children. Great, easy read, and full of the usual Jack Reacher action.
I love all the Reacher books.. But im getting a bit tired with the 'small town' setting.. it seems that he has duplicated the location and story type in multiple novels.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: