Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #1261
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Are you being serious?????

No Reservations and Man vs. Food are on such opposite ends of the non-cooking Food-TV program spectrum, thats its not even fair for EITHER show to try to compare them.

Their personalities, their working knowledge of the preparation of food, and the cultural practices surrounding food, are on totally different wavelengths.

Not to take anything away from Man vs. Food (which I find myself watching all the time) but he isn't even in the same conversation with Anthony Bordain.

you are probably right about Bordain's technical prowess, although he's far from the best or most knowledgable chef on tv.

I just don't really like Bordain's self righteous, pseud-philosophical, hypocritical, I take myself too seriously, angst. In all the interviews I have seen him in, he's always coming off as someone who's above the celebrity chef fray even though that's the very niche he cashed in on.

i like man vs. food because it's a fun food show without any of the pretensions of more "cultured" food show like No reservations. The host of man vs. food seem like a legit non stuckup dude.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #1262
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
you are probably right about Bordain's technical prowess, although he's far from the best or most knowledgable chef on tv.

I just don't really like Bordain's self righteous, pseud-philosophical, hypocritical, I take myself too seriously, angst. In all the interviews I have seen him in, he's always coming off as someone who's above the celebrity chef fray even though that's the very niche he cashed in on.

i like man vs. food because it's a fun food show without any of the pretensions of more "cultured" food show like No reservations. The host of man vs. food seem like a legit non stuckup dude.

I'm not even talking about either of their technical prowess or their culinary abilities.... neither show features them cooking.

How would one know if Bordain is a great chef (other than the fact that he has ran various high-profile kitchens)?? His television show just follows him as he travels and eats awesome food.

As for Man vs. Food... don't get me wrong I watch that show all the time, and it is entertaining for what it is. However, "what it is" is something entirely different than No Reservations, so I don't see how or why they should be compared.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #1263
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
it was done to make it more accessible in the classroom, that it could be taught in more racially sensitive environments. this reasoning could set a dangerous precedent for the future.

That is disgusting to me. Are you to remove the n-word from all rap music because it's offensive? Can we remove slavery or war from the history books because it's offensive? Then answer is hell no. We should not pretend it never happened.

A lot of history has been changed, like a lot of people think Christopher Columbus discovered America. What about the people that were already living here? You see what happened when you start trying to soften up the truth.

The n-word is a very crucial word in the story of HuckFinn. It's use is satirical, and the word is used in the context to show how ignorant these characters are.

What they are doing is criminal. You should read this.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...s-the-n-word/1
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #1264
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by answer
i'd recommend "kafka on the shore," but "norwegian wood" was pretty good too
Kafka is likely the next Murakami novel that Ill read. I have read that it has a similar allegorical meaning as End of the World. Some have even stated that it could be seen as a sort of sequel to it.. so that interests me.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #1265
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I'm not even talking about either of their technical prowess or their culinary abilities.... neither show features them cooking.

How would one know if Bordain is a great chef (other than the fact that he has ran various high-profile kitchens)?? His television show just follows him as he travels and eats awesome food.

As for Man vs. Food... don't get me wrong I watch that show all the time, and it is entertaining for what it is. However, "what it is" is something entirely different than No Reservations, so I don't see how or why they should be compared.

For whoever decided to neg me for this response and claim they're the same style of show:

Sure, both shows travel around the country (or the world with Reservations) and seek out various foods local to the region being highlighted. From there on, the shows are very different in scope and context.

"No Reservation" focuses more on the culture and history surrounding local dishes and cuisines, while "Man vs. Food" has a main focal point of a "big food" challenge but also samples other staples of the local cuisine.

Another difference would be that Anthony Bourdain is a career chef, having worked in and ran many high-profile kitchens in NYC. Adam Richman is an actor and food enthusiast.

I'm not putting down either show, as they both fulfill different interests in my food-related entertainment and are watched very often, but to say they're the same kind of show is simply silly.

[/End Rant]
Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #1266
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
That is disgusting to me. Are you to remove the n-word from all rap music because it's offensive? Can we remove slavery or war from the history books because it's offensive? Then answer is hell no. We should not pretend it never happened.

A lot of history has been changed, like a lot of people think Christopher Columbus discovered America. What about the people that were already living here? You see what happened when you start trying to soften up the truth.

The n-word is a very crucial word in the story of HuckFinn. It's use is satirical, and the word is used in the context to show how ignorant these characters are.

What they are doing is criminal. You should read this.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...s-the-n-word/1

Completely agree. I don't know how anyone can even imagine altering a masterpiece by a leading figure of American literature and history like Twain, much less educators who want to teach about this book. I would refuse to use the censored version of the text in my classroom if I were a teacher. Why do people want to sweep the word under the rug and act like it doesn't exist? It would benefits kids more to discuss things like this because, like it or not, it exists.

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 01-05-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #1267
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
For whoever decided to neg me for this response and claim they're the same style of show:

[/End Rant]

I didn't neg you if that's what you are thinking. It's clear to me that MvF and No reservations probably have different intended audiences and have different focus, low brow vs. high brow. I usually relate two together cause no reservations is always advertised during man vs. food. i watch that show whenever its on. my argument against bordain was also not really related to man vs food, just the man himself.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #1268
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
I didn't neg you if that's what you are thinking. It's clear to me that MvF and No reservations probably have different intended audiences and have different focus, low brow vs. high brow. I usually relate two together cause no reservations is always advertised during man vs. food. i watch that show whenever its on. my argument against bordain was also not really related to man vs food, just the man himself.

I wasn't insinuating you had negged me... even though it would make sense, except for the fact that it was worded like many other negs I've gotten from the Butt-Hurt Brigade

I understand why they're often thought of in the same context, as they feature an adult male who travels the country tasting regional cuisine, and they are some of the only food shows on the same station. I get it.

I can see why Bourdain could rub people the wrong way... I haven't seen any interviews or appearances outside of his show. I'm just totally jealous of him he has the best job. He travels the world eating awesome food, and gets paid and gets fame because of it.

His book thus far is pretty damn good though. Basically its by a chef, for the chefs of America, and anyone interested in the underbelly of the culinary world should check it out. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 AM   #1269
CMsam
Banned

just for the articles.........of course.
CMsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #1270
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMsam

just for the articles.........of course.

For me, its just for the T&A.

If I wanna read current event articles, I'll grab my weekly copy of the Economist.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #1271
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
I need to step up my reading. I am about to finish up my current book. No clue as to what book I'll read next.

Even though I f*cking hate the idea of 'New Years Resolutions," my current goal is to find more time to read.

I literally have a stack of books that I haven't yet made through, that really need some attention.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:01 AM   #1272
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
I have nothing but time to read, now that I am out of work. I've been on a real bender of things to make think and or use my brain in a variety of different ways. I think I might go find that seagull book that JB posted until I can find another longer book to read. I just have no clue which direction to go.

People are always saying (myself included):

"I wish I had time to read, but I just dont"

Literally fifteen minutes a day; instead of reading ESPN.com over dinner, I could pick up a book. Instead of watching 20 minutes of Sports Center before bed, I could pick up a book. Instead of d*cking around on my phone while taking a shit, I could read a book.

Whether people (myself included) realize it or not, they have plenty of time to read.... its simply a matter of doing it.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #1273
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

JLS is a short, easy read. You will be able to finish it one sitting.

Right now I'm reading a bio of John Winthrop for theology:

Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #1274
BoogieWoogieMan
Redemption

the best ghost story I have read so far, a must read for all horror fans!
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #1275
Nelson14
best Dallas PG

starting it later tongiht
Nelson14 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: