Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #1366
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are you reading?

8.5/10

Kind of an updated version of Kitchen Confidential written from the author's new perspective of a knowledgeable outsider looking in. Brutally honest and often times hilarious. Here he describes going to St. Barth's for a week with the crazy rich coke whore he met right after his divorce:

Quote:
We spent a somewhat less than romantic New Year's Eve at a party hosted by the Gaddafis. That should tell you something. Enrique Iglesias provided the entertainment. A detail that lingers in the memory like the birthmark on one's torturer's cheek.

Who had the bigger boat, wore the better outfit, got the best table seemed all that mattered. There were decade-old feuds over casual cracks long forgotten by everyone but the principals. They circled each other still- waiting to identify a weakness -looking for somewhere and some way to strike. People jockeyed for position, cut each other's throats over the most petty, nonsensical shit imaginable. This from the people who, it gradually began to dawn on me, actually ran the world.

I was lingering over the buffet on a Dr. No-sized yacht with the appropriately Bond-esque name Octopus: huge interior docking inside the hull, a six-man submarine, landing space for two helicopters, Francis Bacon originals in the crapper. I looked up from the sushi and got the impression that anybody there -any of the guests dancing, schmoozing, chatting politely at the party- would have watched my throat getting cut without the slightest change in expression.

By the time she lost her wallet for the third and last time, I was ready to dig a hole in the sand and drop her in it, had I thought for a second I could get away with it. But she spoke daily with "Mom." And the option of simply walking out on her, leaving the wallet-less, fund-less, coke-crazy schizo-bitch to her just deserts, broke-ass in a hotel room from which I had every expectation she would be removed at any hour -this, too, I was uncomfortable with.

I also had a very real concern that even were I to do something as measured and sensible as simply walk out on her, what remained of my Caribbean sojourn might end with the arrival of two thick-necked fellows from Chechnya holding a tarpaulin and hacksaws.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #1367
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
I bought The Passage on the cheap and I'm now about 550 pages in. It's pretty trashy (it was cheap and it is cheap lol), but at least it's an easy read. Just makes the cut for me at 55/100.
I found the beggining great.. and then progressively it got less interesting. Plus, it never really focus on what I really wanted them two, the obvious interest is in the virals.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #1368
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

airchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back

The Road.

So far it has been incredible. About 2/3rds the way through it.

Edit: Just spent all afternoon reading. Have now finished, the verdict?

AWESOME!

Hell yeah. My favorite book.
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #1369
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

airchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm trying to read a ton of bestsellers. Never covered the Catcher in the Rye in high school, but I read it last week and hated it. It's devoid of a plot---just an aimless, sensitive, capricious kid with money and free time.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #1370
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchibundo507
I'm trying to read a ton of bestsellers. Never covered the Catcher in the Rye in high school, but I read it last week and hated it. It's devoid of a plot---just an aimless, sensitive, capricious kid with money and free time.

I'm also going through some of the very bestsellers and highest rated books.

So far this year I have read

I am Legend
The Road.

I have the following to read.

The Great Gatsby
Lord of the flies
The count of Montecristo

Was going to read Catcher in the rye but it has very mixed opinions, your not the 1st person I've heard say it was a let down. So I might give it a miss.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #1371
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Currently reading Frankenstein: the original 1818 text. Got a paper due on it in the end of march.. So far the book is pretty good.. only like 4 chapters in though.
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #1372
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The Great Gatsby
Lord of the flies
The count of Montecristo

All fantastic books. I actually enjoyed Catcher In The Rye but that may be because my roommate junior year was Holden Caufield.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #1373
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
All fantastic books. I actually enjoyed Catcher In The Rye but that may be because my roommate junior year was Holden Caufield.

Were you Stradlater then? lol
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #1374
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Were you Stradlater then? lol

No, I was way too poor to be any character in that book.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #1375
ZGalifianakis
I hit open layups

ZGalifianakis has an OK reputation so far

Best book evar
ZGalifianakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #1376
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I found the beggining great.. and then progressively it got less interesting. Plus, it never really focus on what I really wanted them two, the obvious interest is in the virals.

Yeah it started out pretty well. Some of the storylines had potential, but they all ended anticlimactically to me.

The thing that bugs me is that it's all forgettable stuff. The author just threw a bunch of barely related stuff together that I'm barely going to remember a year from now. Which is a serious problem for a book that approaches a thousand pages.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #1377
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Yeah it started out pretty well. Some of the storylines had potential, but they all ended anticlimactically to me.

The thing that bugs me is that it's all forgettable stuff. The author just threw a bunch of barely related stuff together that I'm barely going to remember a year from now. Which is a serious problem for a book that approaches a thousand pages.
I agree that the length was the biggest issue.. It seemed like a lot of narrative for a story that has little momentum. Good character development was displayed but it never progressed to anything deeper..

The Passage is suppose to be the first part of a trilogy. So from an introduction stand point I get why it was the way it was.. But it still doesn't explain why a vampire beginning needs to be verbose.. Im interested in reading the second novel to see if Cronin takes things to the next level.. but I may become hesitant if he comes out with another massive tome.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #1378
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Quote:
I'm also going through some of the very bestsellers and highest rated books.

So far this year I have read

I am Legend
The Road.

I have the following to read.

The Great Gatsby
Lord of the flies
The count of Montecristo

Was going to read Catcher in the rye but it has very mixed opinions, your not the 1st person I've heard say it was a let down. So I might give it a miss.

Catcher is relatively short, though. You might as well give it a try. You never know what side you might fall on when opinions are mixed.

What's next on my list are the Invisible Man and probably Lord of the Flies.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #1379
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchibundo507
Catcher is relatively short, though. You might as well give it a try. You never know what side you might fall on when opinions are mixed.

What's next on my list are the Invisible Man and probably Lord of the Flies.

I will probably get round to it at some point. Lord of the flies is what I'm going to read next. Quite a short book as well. Picked up "Catch 22" at a charity shop today for 1.... Freaking sweet!
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #1380
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: