Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #1366
ZeN
Stormblessed

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Connelly used to be one of my favorite authors few years ago. I read most of his Harry Bosch books up to Echo Park then I haven't picked up another one. Might go back to it soon as I finish Clive cussler's Skeleton Coast, still have 200 pages to read.

Lincoln Lawyer was a great book... Chasing the Dime was great!! The Poet was also great. I don't remember the other books I read from him...
You might want to start by reading the sequels to the Lincoln Lawyer, The Brass Verdict and The Reversal. Both of those are great and each contains a Bosh supporting role.

Also, another solid choice is Scarecrow which is an indirect sequel to The Poet, since it stars Jack McAvoy. Rachel Walling the FBI agent from Poet also comes out in it.

I recommend these before the latest Bosh novel Dragon 9.. since I didnt really like that one, like I did previous Harry Bosh novels.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #1367
LiLharvard
Capital Steez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Connelly used to be one of my favorite authors few years ago. I read most of his Harry Bosch books up to Echo Park then I haven't picked up another one. Might go back to it soon as I finish Clive cussler's Skeleton Coast, still have 200 pages to read.

Lincoln Lawyer was a great book... Chasing the Dime was great!! The Poet was also great. I don't remember the other books I read from him...

Yeah , he's a great author... the Harry Bosch series was genius .. One of my fav's is "The Closer" give it a read if you havn't
LiLharvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #1368
Disaprine
College star

Disaprine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #1369
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

The story had a presence about similar to how the forest in the story had. I can't really describe what I mean by that but it just had this looming effect that is just there. I could probably read this story 20 times and still have that sense of mystery and grandeur. It really had everything I could ask for from a story and is one of the best things I have ever read. There is the cynical and harrowing commentary on the intentions and effects and dillusions of colonialism, the characters were rich and deep and the description and setting were incredible and a character in and of themselves, and the story was full and developed in both the large brush strokes and the small details.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #1370
vinsane01
National High School Star

Conspiracy Club by Jonathan Kellerman

Going to read Atlas Shrugged next..
vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #1371
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

I just bought a sh*tload: The Idiot, Life of Pi, Club Dumas, Catch-22 and the Alchemist. Should be fun.
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #1372
fiddy
Banned

Just finished
Through my own eyes: An awakened unconcious by Theodore Isaac Rubin

Just started

fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #1373
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

I know I've mentioned it before in this very thread, but I'm enjoying it so f*cking much that I have officially felt the need to share it again with you all that may or may not care.

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

by Anthony "Tony" Bourdain

For the record, as he explains in the preface, this book is not specifically for the lovers of food, the prospective chef, nor the soon-to-be restauranteur. Bordain's self-account of the restaurant industry is for the cooks themselves.

He cares not how literary critics may see his prose and delivery, but more so to give a gift back to the world of professional food.

I give it six-stars out of five, and would recommend it to anyone.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #1374
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
I know I've mentioned it before in this very thread, but I'm enjoying it so f*cking much that I have officially felt the need to share it again with you all that may or may not care.

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

by Anthony "Tony" Bourdain

For the record, as he explains in the preface, this book is not specifically for the lovers of food, the prospective chef, nor the soon-to-be restauranteur. Bordain's self-account of the restaurant industry is for the cooks themselves.

He cares not how literary critics may see his prose and delivery, but more so to give a gift back to the world of professional food.

I give it six-stars out of five, and would recommend it to anyone.

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #1375
step_back
College superstar

Just finished The Great Gatsby, I was going to start Lord of the flies but I'm headed to Kenya next month so I figure that would be much more engrossing to read as I will be out in the Masai Mara at the time.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #1376
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

Never heard of the Spiritualist movement before so this has been a very interesting read. Pretty cool to read about the famous figures in history and their position on the movement.

Nice book about an almost missing piece of history or at least it goes largely uncovered in general history books. It was very interesting to read about the entire movement and how it laid the foundation for the women's rights movement and its role in the abolition movement. There were some heavy hitters during this time period that bought into the movement that gave it some intellectual credibility. I'd be interested in reading more about the core belief and investigation of the religion along with this books presentation of the religion and its social impact.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #1377
ZeN
Stormblessed

The Killing Kind by John Connolly - 8/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #1378
heyhey
stay mad golden state

lol I haven't contributed anything to this thread since the semester started. One book I read daily is this:

will scan last 10 or so pages to see what people are recommending.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #1379
alenleomessi
W

Is this any good?

alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #1380
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

looks like a real thriller, heyhey. how was Kant's 'Critique'?

i just read the intro and prologue of Confessions of an Economic Hitman and i'm looking forward to digging in, though i'm not expecting to be blown away. i had to check out a few reviews to see just how out of wack or on point the critical world believes this guy to be. i found more criticism than i was expecting, but for issues like this, it's always worth it to give the stories a chance even if in the end, they might well consist mostly of exaggeration. the writing seems pretty good in any case.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: