Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #1471
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What are you reading?

Really great book about the story of two brothers growing up in the Henry Horner Projects in Chicago in the late 80's, some part's are incredibly sad, but such an great book so far.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #1472
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
Yea. No shit. If there was one person I could go back and kill it would be Mao.

Yeah, not only was he tyrannical but he was also completely incompetent. I assume you've read the book. It really was a very good read. I've shed a lot of my ignorance about the region through my east asian civ class.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #1473
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

There is a reason these type of books are best-sellers. I wanted to read something uplifting and inspiring as a change of pace from reading about the tortures of Communist China and this book didn't disapoint me.

The only thing I thought was ridiculous is that the book touches upon charity, kindness, faith, etc and I looked on the cover and the book costs $23 (I didn't buy it I borrowed it from a friend). I understand its a business but it seems hypocritical to charge nearly $25 for a 250 page book that is supposed to be inspiring and uplifting. Of course the person could have bought the paperback which would be cheaper so maybe I'm overreacting. I never buy hardcovers so it could be the standard price for all I know.
I hate this douche. My least favorite reporter.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #1474
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
I hate this douche. My least favorite reporter.

Yeah, he is douchey sometimes but I can tolerate him occasionally. The book wasn't bad although it was a littletoo judgmental which is surprising coming from him. I really hate him when he's on The Sports Reporters or whatever it is on espn.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #1475
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Finished "Catcher in the rye" really enjoyed it!

I'm starting "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" sometime this weekend. Downloaded it for free on my Kindle.

Edit: Decided to read "Lord of the Flies" instead.

Last edited by step_back : 03-12-2011 at 04:43 PM.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #1476
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #1477
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Currently placed two novels I had started on the backburner: White Road by John Connolly and More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon. Ill probably return to them once I get done with The Book of Basketball by Simmons, which Im about half way done with.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #1478
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

It had a really great build up through the first 2 acts and the 3rd was great and also unsuspected. The whole play seemed to me to be about selfishness and the destructiveness that it can cause within relationships and society. Each character displayed selfishness in different ways to their own detriment. Although, the main part of the plot centered around an act of unselfishness so maybe this isn't a very good observation. Selfishness just seemed to be a central part of all the characters in the play.

The final act and Nora's development as a complex and deep character was my favorite part of the play. Ibsen in 1879 which was a period of social movements and reform which could be a factor in the progessive and feminist undertones of Nora's conclusion in the final act and also Mrs. Linde to a ceratin extent. These two characters had an element of female independence and equality (especially Nora in the conclusion of the play). Her wish to explore the world and form her own perspective of not only outside issues and influences but also of herself is definitely and inpsiring call to educate and develop yourself intellectually and emotionally.

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 03-13-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #1479
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Yeah, not only was he tyrannical but he was also completely incompetent. I assume you've read the book. It really was a very good read. I've shed a lot of my ignorance about the region through my east asian civ class.
No I never read that book.

This is what I'm reading for fun:
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #1480
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Dolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back
Finished "Catcher in the rye" really enjoyed it!

I'm starting "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" sometime this weekend. Downloaded it for free on my Kindle.

Edit: Decided to read "Lord of the Flies" instead.

The Catcher in the Rye, now this? You miss your high school days? lol
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #1481
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin
The Catcher in the Rye, now this? You miss your high school days? lol

I didn't get to read any of them in school. I had the same english teacher every year who insisted we read novels by Barry Hines, my teacher grew up and went to the same school as him so we didn't have a choice.

I hated that arrogant prick!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #1482
pete's montreux
Blu Ray Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
No I never read that book.

This is what I'm reading for fun:

This one was recommended to me the other day. Review it when you're done por favor.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #1483
step_back
College superstar

Finished Lord of the Flies!

Easy to read and full of imagination. William Golding nailed the characters and the gentle slide into chaos on the island was convincing and horrifying.

I recommend this book.

I'm having a few days break before I start my next book. I'm taking on my holiday "The Beach" by Alex Garland, will let you know what I think when I get back.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #1484
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #1485
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bill Simmons' The Book of Basketball - 10/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: