Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Splitz77
Good High School Starter

Splitz77 has decent reputation
Default Weak Ankles?

I've been rolling my ankles alot recently, and ive been doing toe raisers, but is their any other excersizes that i can use that will strengthin my ankles.

I mean, yesterday I rolled my ankle just walking up to check the ball..how pathetic is that..

annoying also..
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
tastystaci
Local High School Star

tastystaci has decent reputation
Default Re: Weak Ankles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitz77
I've been rolling my ankles alot recently, and ive been doing toe raisers, but is their any other excersizes that i can use that will strengthin my ankles.

I mean, yesterday I rolled my ankle just walking up to check the ball..how pathetic is that..

annoying also..

I am somebody who has had ankle problems throughout my basketball career, and the one fact of the matter is, once you do it once, you will do it again. The only thing imo is to get a heavy duty ankle brace, and get used to ballin' with it on. It seems the only time I ever "tweak" my ankle now is when I am not prepared.
tastystaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

yea once you do it one time your more prone to do it again.

i rolled by right ankle bad during the summer of my soph year, wore a brace all during the season and by about halfway through my senior year i started to play with it off. i was nervous to at first but at some point you have to let your ankle get strong again. plaid all season fine, and wouldn't you know it i just ****ed up my left ankle today playin, its about as big as my fist.

just gotta strap up a brace and suck it up.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
r1kk12
Can barely lace up my sneakers

r1kk12 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitz77

annoying also..

i use to have a persistent problem with my right ankle after i rolled it badly once a few years ago. Obviously not playin anything for about 6-8 weeks and working on things like a leg press and calf raises will help. I also found that jumping with both feet together over a cone about a foot high.. side to side.. and back and foward helped. Doing this with one leg can help help too.

Hopping helps. Sounds a bit crazy if u have a bad ankle, but i hurt my left calf once and over a month basically taught myself to play on one leg by hopping. It looked ridiculous but it worked. Try playing on one leg - it really will strengthen your ankle. Make sure you;re wearing a ankle strap when you start tho and take it easy at first.
r1kk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

sooo i rolled my ankle on a tuesday at an open gym. tried to get back on the court the next day, but obviously wasn't happenin. So i just chilled for the rest of the week, iced it, didn't do a great job of stayin off it, but i tired. anyways, played in a tourney on the same weekend, dropped 27 in the first game back.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
sooo i rolled my ankle on a tuesday at an open gym. tried to get back on the court the next day, but obviously wasn't happenin. So i just chilled for the rest of the week, iced it, didn't do a great job of stayin off it, but i tired. anyways, played in a tourney on the same weekend, dropped 27 in the first game back.

haha money. I dropped 19-10-1-1-2 line (pt-rb-ast-stl-blk) last saturday vs a scrub team in my north philly league. ended up winning by 30. Team was short handed so no bench, we just breaked on them every chance we got
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
1manfastbreak
just win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automajic23
haha money. I dropped 19-10-1-1-2 line (pt-rb-ast-stl-blk) last saturday vs a scrub team in my north philly league. ended up winning by 30. Team was short handed so no bench, we just breaked on them every chance we got

yea its annoying when games get like that. their not even fun to play in. we beat a team in that tournament by 73, it was 88-15 and there was still 5 minutes remaining when they called the game.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
Splitz77
Good High School Starter

Quote:
yea its annoying when games get like that. their not even fun to play in. we beat a team in that tournament by 73, it was 88-15 and there was still 5 minutes remaining when they called the game.

riiigghhtt.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Get better shoes man... I don't think ankle strength has anything to do with rolling ankles. Hell, I'm sure everyones "ankle strength" is about the same. Besides better shoes (better as in more ankle support) just be more aware of your feet, and try a brace.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I blew out my ankle really bad about a year ago. I went up for a jumper from about 40 feet away and naturally i jumped really high to get some power on my shot. I came down on my friends foot and I rolled straight sideways. I was on crutches or hopping for about 2 weeks because I couldnt walk at all.

About 3 months after the injury I went out and bought a heavy duty ankle brace and some new high top bball shoes. It definitely took about a month or two before I felt comfortable and confident on my ankle and that was with the brace on. I played with that brace until about 7 months after my injury occured. Finally I felt fine with no brace, and these days my ankle feels stronger than it did a year ago. I never rolled my ankle again with the brace, and I havent rolled my ankle once since then.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #11
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh man. I've landed in terrible positions perhaps over 60 times, but my ankle stability is excelently durable.

Guys here's what you do:

747's. Trust me, I'm not here to scam or ly. You balance on one foot and bend forward at the waist, and elevate your other leg. Now try to maintain stability while leaning forward, sideways, and backwards. You're going to hop superfast to maintain your balance, but if you do this 30 seconds every day, left and right you'll see improvements.

When your seated.. workout your shins by lifting your toes in a controlled fashion. It toughens up the front part of your lower leg.. you can feel the actual muscle as well.

Always stretch achilles tendon, calves, feet after practice too.

Good luck.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Something you can try is doing single leg exercises on a bosu ball. It will force you to stabalize yourself on an instable surface. Will improve your balance and ankle stability.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #13
Splitz77
Good High School Starter

Quote:
there were 6 kids on the team, it was a team full of native americans, none of which were over 5'10". and 1 kid could actually dribble. couldn't make it up if i tried.

im part native american bro, what does that have to do with it.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
CroqueMort
I brick open layups

CroqueMort has an OK reputation so far

Strap and McDavid !!!
CroqueMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm not usually one to pump a shoe, but I found that I had substantially less issues with the Nike Boing series. They weren't my favorite shoes, there a little heavy, and I'm not going to attribute it to the springs. I think it's just that they have a particularly wide heel box, which makes it harder to tip it.

I've done my ankles seemingly hundreds of times. It's true that once it goes it will go again. I never liked the braces, but they do work to a degree. I just found that the heavier ones are so wide they looses the shoe as you play and actually make you less stable.

As for excercise, balance work is the best option, and even that's mainly just preventative. If you come down on someones foot you could Berishnakov and it's still gonna roll. As I got older I started stretching them, especially along the arch and achilles. It won't stop it from happening, but it does seem to make the turn far less traumatic.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: