Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here
Default Which coach would you want to play for?

Was talking about this after a basketball game with some friends the other day. If each of us had a choice to play for any coach in college basketball, who would it be? I'm not talking about the recruitment process and choosing a school and what have you, but just as a basketball player, whose system do you fit best in?

I'd have to say I'd love to play for Jon Beilien. Stand around shoot 3s and play a 1-3-1 zone on defense. Sounds like my kind of game. I also love that he doesn't wear a sports jacket during the game, just rolls up his sleeves as if he's in the middle of a pressure filled day.

A few of the other answers my teammates put out:
Jay Wright - Figures, he went to Nova..really a homer pick. I still believe that Jay Wright is still more of a recruiter than a coach.
Roy Williams - He's 6-5 and loves playing down low. Very physical player.
Bill Self - Likes the fact that Bill is willing to ride the hot hand.
Rick Pitino - Easily my most athletic friend, likes to run and dunk as much as possible.

That's about it. As much as I love my Bruce Weber, I'd think I'd fail in his system. Hard. Mostly because my defense has never really been that good and that's a pre-req to play for him. It's mostly because I'm 6-2 with good lateral movement (having played soccer as long as I've been playing basketball), but horrible end to end speed.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Which coach would you want to play for?

If I were a top high school athlete I would go to Syracuse. You get to sit back in a 2-3 and Boeheim gives his players the freedom to just go out and play.

Me personally? Hmm I'll have to say Coach K. My play style is similar to Jon Sheyer and he obviously thrives in that system.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Coach K is a good pick. However, because of my aforementioned lack of speed, I never have been able to to utilize screens very well. I barely get open as is off screens from my teammates in a rec league. I'm much better at catching and shooting from the wing rather than curling off a screen.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'd have to agree with Beilien as far as where I'd fit best. I played the 1-3-1 freshman/sophomore years of high school and loved it. Got to play the 1 at the top of the key and got a lot of steals in that zone.

Also they were 3rd in Div. 1 in 3 pointers attempted and 1st as far as major conference schools. I'm a chucker baby.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I've never played for a zone in a formal setting. I've played man all my life and the only time I used a zone was for a basketball tournament my friends and I joined my sophomore year of college. It was basic 2-3 zone that shifted into a box 1 depending on the team we played against. It was pretty good seeing how no one in that tournament could really shoot and the fact that we were athletically outmatched at times. The 1-3-1 looks like a fun trapping defense when it gets going.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Roy Williams. Especially if I was a potential NBA player.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
NYK-Bball
CATCH ME IN TRAFFIC

NYK-Bball has an OK reputation so far

Rick Pitino or Jay Wright
NYK-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

fran dunphy seems like a great teacher and person.

john chaney is my all-time favorite coach.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Roy Williams. Especially if I was a potential NBA player.

This is what I was hoping to avoid. Lets be real here, you don't want to play for Roy Williams as much as you want to play for UNC. Bob McKillop could be coaching for UNC and you would've said him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYK-Bball
Rick Pitino or Jay Wright

Any particular reason?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

I think Tim Floyd or John Calipari will do a great job showcasing my offensive abilities but I wouldn't mind playing for Ben Howland because I know that he will help me improve my defense. You look at recent UCLA guys like Aaron Afflalo, Jordan Farmar, Russell Westbrook, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, and they were all prepared defensively to be in the NBA. Darren Collison and Josh Shipp will also be good defenders if they can make it on a NBA team, and if Jrue Holiday stays another year or so his defense should improve as well.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
NYK-Bball
CATCH ME IN TRAFFIC

NYK-Bball has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three

Any particular reason?

Pitino because i like his press and up tempo style and Jay Wright because he utilizes guards and perimeter players in his system a lot and I'm a guard.
NYK-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Terp in LA
I airball my layups

Terp in LA has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0
I think Tim Floyd or John Calipari will do a great job showcasing my offensive abilities but I wouldn't mind playing for Ben Howland because I know that he will help me improve my defense. You look at recent UCLA guys like Aaron Afflalo, Jordan Farmar, Russell Westbrook, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, and they were all prepared defensively to be in the NBA. Darren Collison and Josh Shipp will also be good defenders if they can make it on a NBA team, and if Jrue Holiday stays another year or so his defense should improve as well.

Co-sign.
Terp in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #13
d_white089
Let's Go.....

d_white089 has an incredible reputation hered_white089 has an incredible reputation hered_white089 has an incredible reputation hered_white089 has an incredible reputation hered_white089 has an incredible reputation hered_white089 has an incredible reputation here

Jon Beilein is an excellent choice. I don't know about the guys at Michigan but everyone loved playing for him at WVU.

My other choice would be Bob Huggins.
d_white089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Probably Pitino.

I like to run and use my athleticism as much as possible. I'd also have the freedom on offense and not be limited to only a certain thing.

Definitly the kind of ball I like to play. Run on offense and work hard on defense.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I can't stand Roy Williams personally, his hang dog expression, and holier than though attitude when going through the Kansas/UNC transition just really rubbed me the wrong way.

But for me as a PG I don't think there's something I'd prefer to run than his secondary break as a first option. All the looks, all the decision making. That to me is more interesting and fun than just pure tempo.

Beilien is a great choice because for me too because of his varied approach. Switching schemes on both ends of the floor.

Anyone interested in the pure intensity and simply being tougher than the other guy approach of Tom Izzo?
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: