Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
Kujo
National High School Star

Kujo has decent reputation
Default Re: 6-11 HS junior Jeremy Tyler leaves school to play pro ball in Europe

Jeremy Tyler may want to re-consider.

Pretty eye opening piece on Brandon Jennings experience over there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/sp...24recruit.html

I think Tyler would be better off just going to college for one year. There's a chance he won't develop, and get the playing time he thinks hell get.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 6-11 HS junior Jeremy Tyler leaves school to play pro ball in Europe

His reasoning for not playing his senior yr in HS is sad lol
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:00 AM   #18
JP59500
Can barely lace up my sneakers

JP59500 has an OK reputation so far

interesting news
JP59500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #19
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

Im kind of 50-50 on this. The good side is that, like a couple of you said, he is playing with pros and i was always taught that you had to play with the best in order to become the best, so it could be could for him. It could also be bad if he sucks or gets injured because then he doesn't even have a high school diploma under his belt whereas had he gone to college he would have had at least a year or two of that to fall back on. I think this is high risk for Tyler but if it works out to his advantage he could be set for a long time.
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #20
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

lukeridnour08 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
Im kind of 50-50 on this. The good side is that, like a couple of you said, he is playing with pros and i was always taught that you had to play with the best in order to become the best, so it could be could for him. It could also be bad if he sucks or gets injured because then he doesn't even have a high school diploma under his belt whereas had he gone to college he would have had at least a year or two of that to fall back on. I think this is high risk for Tyler but if it works out to his advantage he could be set for a long time.

I disagree with this.
Your only reasoning is because he might get hurt and won't even have a high school diploma??

First of all, a high school doesn't really mean sh!t. If you disagree, your wrong.
He is getting a GED also.
There is no job you can get with a diploma that you can't with a GED.
I agree though that he should go to college and get that degree (for free), but realistically, is gonna stay long enough to get a degree??? Hell no.

Your other reason is he might get hurt.
Doesnt he have that same possibility this upcoming year in HS, and his first year in college??
Not to mention the 100+ games he would be playing in this spring/summer in AAU.

However- I know what your saying, I just have another reason why this is a bad idea

First-his development is going to be hindered severely.
To be frank, There is no way Tyler would start and contribute for any BCS conference team if he were in college at this point. And Europe is ALOT better competition then college basketball.
What I am saying is his development is going to be hindered severely by playing in

With this, his confidence is going to be in the ditches.
He's gonna be thinking, "man, if i cant get any playing time and do good in my minutes in Europe, then what am I gonna do in the NBA?"
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #21
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
First-his development is going to be hindered severely.
Also not true. The amount of time devoted to practice and player development greatly exceeds the time that he would be able to spend with coaches in either high school or college. The days between games in Europe gives teams the opportunity to practice more, and European teams take advantage of that time. He should be a way more polished big man when he declares for the NBA draft.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #22
Hammertime
Our Enes is bigger

Hammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Also not true. The amount of time devoted to practice and player development greatly exceeds the time that he would be able to spend with coaches in either high school or college. The days between games in Europe gives teams the opportunity to practice more, and European teams take advantage of that time. He should be a way more polished big man when he declares for the NBA draft.

Also, no one has ever suffered from having to play against superior opposition. Usually, your improvement tends to stall for the opposite reason.

By going to Europe, the yardstick he will be measured by changes as well. If he can hang on and become a productive member of a decent team, that's success. No one's going to expect 30PPG from him.

People forget that with European players, their draft position is usually based on potential, since they've been playing in the pros since their mid-teens, and have never had a chance to put up ridiculous stats HS players in the US do.

Last edited by Hammertime : 04-27-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #23
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I saw him play a few times last summer, and he is impressive. He's a big who actually plays like one. He does have some face up shooting game too, although I didn't think his handle was as good as it was touted to be. Although I just saw some summer league stuff.

I heard from my buddy.

Jeremy Tyler has been a hot topic around the southern california news wire this winter and now, around the country (I read some articles on Yahoo and ESPN). I don't know if I told you but last fall, three high level players mysteriously showed up on campus. 1. 6'5 senior, ranked in the top 50. 2. 6'11 junior ranked in the top 20 and 3. local, very good, junior guard. Things seemed a little fishy, and yes, they were. Our head coach and some of his staff were found guilty by the state high school athletic commission of paying security deposits and rents for some of the players and having undue influence to bring them to San Diego High. We, the SDHS basketball team, seemed to be on the front page of the sports section everyday for the entire winter. Very embarrassing if you ask me. Did you happen to see our nationally televised game vs. Fairfax (an LA powerhouse) on ESPN2? Needless to say, without the firepower that allowed us to have the confidence to schedule such a game, we got our doors blown in. Jeremy was playing with, what ammounted to a JV squad all season. Even without any help, the team was in the running for the league championship, until we had to forfeit two wins because the dumbass head coach played the three players, named above, before they were cleared to play. Bye, bye championship. Needless to say, it's been total drama around here. But at least it's given us something to talk about in the coach's office. I believe this move, for Jeremy, may be a wise one. He was basically wasting time here (the teachers and his). He would wonder around campus more than be in the classroom. To say he was not an academic minded individual would be an understatement. So with proper supervision, I believe living in Europe could be of tremendous value. If for nothing else, to knock him off his high horse and hopefully learn that, in fact, he is not the center of the universe. And getting knocked around by high level talent for two years, with the proper coaching, could speed up his development. There is no question he has tremendous up sides when it comes to basketball, maturity is my concern.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #24
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

After reading an SI OP-ed about the story, I am even in more favor of him making the jump to Europe.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #25
John Brown
Can barely lace up my sneakers

John Brown has an OK reputation so far

Regarding Tyler’s move to the European pros hoops leagues, early from high school? I say it’s about time! And let's just hope that in turn, a viable American and later, an international pro basketball minor league will finally come to fruition as a result of these early drop-outs.

For far too long, the myth/ruse of the upper-level, basketball-playing “student-athlete” has been the norm, accepted by colleges as "the price of doing business." That myth and the NCAA sham organization that promotes it are a total joke. There’s never been any “student” in the equation. None at all for many decades at DIV I.

These hoops kids (with few exceptions) have proven through their lack of graduation rates, drop-out rates, ineligibilty, etc. that they - and their parents and culture that most come from - simply don’t care at all about a free college education. They just don't care or see its value to them.

For them, it’s all about the money through hoops. Many have already been receiving money for most of their teens. The quality of their futures after playing is all but forgotten. But almost none will make the NBA with only 440 jobs available. Most will never return to schooling of any kind. Most will end up bankrupt. Those are the facts - check them out. Sadly, most are deceivng themselves and selling their post-hoops lives down the toilet, with the NCAA and NBA's blessing.

However, if Tyler IS successful in Europe and makes it in the NBA, maybe we can prevent a few more of these “future would-be pros” from taking the place of legitimate, qualified students in college classrooms. They can be trained on the courts for the next level, without the sham and embarrassment of charading as "student-athletes," especially with those test scores.

Has it ever been more apparent that we need a minor league for pro basketball?

And income for DIV I college sports be damned! They’ll be fine. Perhaps the DIV 1 hoopsters of tomorrow will actually be representative of the student body at large, and as academically qualified? They’d be finer if they’d adopt a “need-based” system like the Ivies but that’s another discussion.

With the graduation (or lack thereof) rates of star coaches like Lute Olsen, Gary Williams, Bob Hutchins, John Calipari and Rick Pitino, et al. well documented, isn’t it time to put the Tylers of the world where they belong by choice? On the courts of a good, professional minor league - here in America and an international minor league in the future? With major NBA & international support, not D-League chump change - real incentive salaries.

And if Tyler gets injured or craps out? Well then, he's made his bed hasn't he? Let him and other “short-sighted folk of the hoops culture” lie in it. He could always go back to fourth grade (the level that many read at) and work up to a GED. Or he could just play video games for life and talk about what might have been.

The Tylers, for whom we cheer, are so under-educated that they could never qualify for ANY university if they didn't play hoops. So why not end the joke and allow them pursue to their dreams - through an international NBA minor league both here and abroad.

John Brown
John Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #26
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputation
Default Jeremy Taylor

Jeremy Taylor leaves the Isreal team.

Dude should have went and played with the Cardinals in Louisville.

ESPN reports:

Former U.S. high school basketball star Jeremy Tyler quit Israeli team Maccabi Haifa and returned home Friday, cutting short a disappointing first pro season.

The 18-year-old Tyler arrived in Israel on a wave of publicity in August after deciding to skip his senior year at San Diego High School to gain professional experience...

Tyler's frustration was evident. Last month, he walked out on the team at halftime to protest not getting more minutes. For the last three games, he sat on the bench not wearing a uniform after being left off the Haifa squad.

Ndiaye said he spoke to Tyler earlier this week and "everything was cool."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5008825

Last edited by insidehoops : 03-19-2010 at 04:02 PM.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #27
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Jeremy Taylor

Good job
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #28
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Jeremy Taylor

It's Jeremy Tyler.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

bump
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #30
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

The biggest difference, in comparing his situation to Jennings, is the position they play.

Guards are NBA ready much younger. The skill set required is something they've been doing for years.

Bg kids have easily dominated teir competition all their lives. Things like footwork and positioning required to play at the NBA level usually come late to them. Plus, even good college big guys, in many cases, aren't ready physically for the pounding.

It's a much tougher transition, and it appears the kid, his parents, and advisors have made a bad choice.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: