Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
HelterSkelter
High School JV MVP

Default Favorite RB of all-time?

here's mine.

Marshall Faulk

'bout you?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
-primetime-

Default Re: Favorite RB of all-time?

other than every Cowboy RB ever...

I am going to have to say that my favorite all time runner very well may be Adrian Peterson...but that has alot to do with my OU bias...

Bo Jackson was a favorite of mine as a youngster...

obvioulsy Barry Sanders was a spectacle to watch...

but yeah, I have followed Peterson for like 5 years now...he is already my all time favorite excluding Dallas RBs...
Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

Barry Sanders- best football player ever....

phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Biddy77
Keyless' gimmick acct

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18

this.

barry sanders made video game moves.
Biddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
KokeAyne
High School Varsity 12th Man

if your favorite running back isnt Adrian Peterson, it will be soon.
KokeAyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
steve

Timmy Smith.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
TheGreatDeraj
Near-Life Experience

The Bus.

TheGreatDeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
32jazz
Local High School Star

Eric Dickerson

OJ Simpson

Jim Brown

Bo Jackson
32jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
ruslan
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18

agreed
ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Barry Sanders got nothing on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Barry Sanders got nothing on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I've told this story on here more than once, but here:

When I was in fifth grade, I was playing pop warner football, and was actually pretty decent. I played Wide Reciever, and Outside Linebacker, which got moved to Safety in high school.
Anyway, I started playing in fourth grade, then in early summer after fifth grade, I went to a camp called Offense Defense, in Long Island, at the Hofstra campus. It was a five day, sleepaway thing. I roomed with my best friend at the time. Every day there was a guest speaker, the big finale, being in New York and all, was Lawrence Taylor. He was to speak on Saturday because the parents (read fathers) could come early to pick up the kids, and they could bull**** with LT, get some autographs, and all that other stuff.
Apparently that Friday night LT was arrested for possession of cocaine. In retrospect it was my buddy's father who told us that, and he's a Cowboy fan, so that may have been fabricated, but either way, something happened, and LT was unable to make it that final day of camp.
The camp being in a bind had to do something. The Saturday speaker was their feature moment, and there were rumors about every Giant player of the day. My buddy was a Giant fan and was hoping beyond hope they got Mark Bavarro of all people.
They wound up getting stuck keeping the Friday speaker. Walter Payton. He was great that first day. Actually running in drills with us. I got to catch and pass on half back option from him. He was showing us how to do his dead leg move. They were going to pay him for the second day, and keep him in a five star local hotel. But he said not to worry about it, he'd stay in the dorms with the kids. We stayed up all night, the counselors stayed with us, and we played tag all through the quad. The next day we were all exhausted, all of us under 14 years old worn out by this thirty something year old guy who took a beating for a living. The next day we were running relays, just trying to keep the hitting light so no one got hurt on the last day. He was running sprints on his hands faster than some kids on their feet.
Frankly, the guy was incredible. Even on the way out he seemed to remember everyone's names. He and Bird, who my grandfather took me to see at the old Garden all the time (he had season tickets he split with about ten guys), are the two athletes I most connect with in my childhood.

Emmitt Smith may have done more, and Barry Sanders may have hit more longballs, and Jim Brown may be the toughest to bring down. Maybe you like Marshall Faulk's versatility. And people can make any argument they want for those guys. But I'll be damned if anyone will ever get me to say someone was better than Walter Payton.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I've told this story on here more than once, but here:

When I was in fifth grade, I was playing pop warner football, and was actually pretty decent. I played Wide Reciever, and Outside Linebacker, which got moved to Safety in high school.
Anyway, I started playing in fourth grade, then in early summer after fifth grade, I went to a camp called Offense Defense, in Long Island, at the Hofstra campus. It was a five day, sleepaway thing. I roomed with my best friend at the time. Every day there was a guest speaker, the big finale, being in New York and all, was Lawrence Taylor. He was to speak on Saturday because the parents (read fathers) could come early to pick up the kids, and they could bull**** with LT, get some autographs, and all that other stuff.
Apparently that Friday night LT was arrested for possession of cocaine. In retrospect it was my buddy's father who told us that, and he's a Cowboy fan, so that may have been fabricated, but either way, something happened, and LT was unable to make it that final day of camp.
The camp being in a bind had to do something. The Saturday speaker was their feature moment, and there were rumors about every Giant player of the day. My buddy was a Giant fan and was hoping beyond hope they got Mark Bavarro of all people.
They wound up getting stuck keeping the Friday speaker. Walter Payton. He was great that first day. Actually running in drills with us. I got to catch and pass on half back option from him. He was showing us how to do his dead leg move. They were going to pay him for the second day, and keep him in a five star local hotel. But he said not to worry about it, he'd stay in the dorms with the kids. We stayed up all night, the counselors stayed with us, and we played tag all through the quad. The next day we were all exhausted, all of us under 14 years old worn out by this thirty something year old guy who took a beating for a living. The next day we were running relays, just trying to keep the hitting light so no one got hurt on the last day. He was running sprints on his hands faster than some kids on their feet.
Frankly, the guy was incredible. Even on the way out he seemed to remember everyone's names. He and Bird, who my grandfather took me to see at the old Garden all the time (he had season tickets he split with about ten guys), are the two athletes I most connect with in my childhood.

Emmitt Smith may have done more, and Barry Sanders may have hit more longballs, and Jim Brown may be the toughest to bring down. Maybe you like Marshall Faulk's versatility. And people can make any argument they want for those guys. But I'll be damned if anyone will ever get me to say someone was better than Walter Payton.
Wow man I almost cried.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I cried when I read his Bio. I don't read many Bio's, particularly athletes', so the fact that I even had it was a testament to how much I loved the guy.

His reaction to falling ill, and the city of Chicago's response when they finally found out, how they reacted when a local sports talk bobble head said he saw what appeared to be Walter Payton with AIDS. How Payton reacted to that, and saved the guy's job.
The guy actually saved Christmas for the wards of the state of Illinois in Chicago for years, and his foundation continued to do it after his death.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Every kid I knew was in love with that "Super Bowl Shuffle" bears team back then...

they were kind of like Jordan's Bulls to NBA fans...everyone just loved them...(unless they were beating your team's ass of course)

you know you an NFL team made a serious impression when you can remember the kicker's name...Kevin Butler...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: