Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
icemanfan
Local High School Star
 
icemanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,788
Default what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nba

Quote:
So when Rondo walloped Miller across the face on that climactic drive Tuesday night, it was his single smartest play of his phenomenal first round. He had no chance of blocking the shot, and he had to hit Miller as hard as he could to prevent the and-one, so screw it ... SMACK! (He even admitted this after the game.)



http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...e=Fouls-090429

Quote:
Rondo prevented a tying layup by slapping Miller upside the head, about the most blatantly obvious flagrant foul you could commit, yet the zebras called it a normal two-shot foul. They didn't even huddle about it.


Quote:
"You always talk about playoff basketball, no layups. Rondo did it on the very last play, and it won the game for us."

Sure, it was a great foul -- in 1982. Nowadays, it's supposed to be outlawed. Rivers may be right on that last point, though.



Quote:
Rondo had no play on the ball, which was a yard beyond his reach. So he hit what he could, and it worked beautifully.

So with the call so completely blown and so obvious to anyone with the basketball IQ of CYO year one how come the league issued this trype?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4112697

Quote:
"We felt Rondo was making a basketball play and going for the ball after a blown defensive assignment by the Celtics team," Jackson said. "In terms of criteria we use to evaluate a flagrant foul penalty 1, generally we like to consider whether or not there was a wind-up, an appropriate level of impact, and a follow through.
this last piece of trash from the league has no place in the rule book which is very clear...don't make a play on the ball then its a flagrant. He was beat by a mile and no way he was going for the ball. Wind up? So what does this mean? The door is now wide open for head shots as long as there is
Quote:
not there was a wind-up, an appropriate level of impact, and a follow through
and stitches and blood don't count. GL Celts. I doubt you find the payback as palatable as you did the original.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
Derka
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

I like how the league that makes the rules regarding flagrant fouls even says it wasn't a flagrant...and people still hate. Obviously the people who define what a flagrant foul is are wrong, and the people on the internet are the ones who are right!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
burnsy87
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 867
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanfan
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nba




http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...e=Fouls-090429







So with the call so completely blown and so obvious to anyone with the basketball IQ of CYO year one how come the league issued this trype?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4112697


this last piece of trash from the league has no place in the rule book which is very clear...don't make a play on the ball then its a flagrant. He was beat by a mile and no way he was going for the ball. Wind up? So what does this mean? The door is now wide open for head shots as long as there is and stitches and blood don't count. GL Celts. I doubt you find the payback as palatable as you did the original.

We already know the refs are all hot and bothered over rondos nuts. At this point I've accepted that the league is more interested in the Celts winning than having fair games. This will only make it sweeter if the Bulls impose their own will on this mockery of a league and win.
burnsy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
burnsy87
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 867
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
I like how the league that makes the rules regarding flagrant fouls even says it wasn't a flagrant...and people still hate. Obviously the people who define what a flagrant foul is are wrong, and the people on the internet are the ones who are right!

Oh yeah because a league where refs bet on games is so reliable. Get out of here you homer.
burnsy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
halffttime
shorty doowop
 
halffttime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 3,387
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

the referees are whack.. they're so incosistent.. if you're gonna make a call, make it.. don't let the tempo of the game or situation decide the calls for you.. if that same play happened first quarter into the game, guaranteed that's a flagrant..
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Derka
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy87
Oh yeah because a league where refs bet on games is so reliable. Get out of here you homer.
You are so unashamedly anti-Boston, you're not worth discussing things with.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
spree43
Made that high school varsity squad
 
spree43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 667
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

It really annoys me when the refs don't have the guts to make the call in a close game
spree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
reppy
Apparently likes anime
 
reppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,004
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

How was that foul by Wade today a flagrant and not this one? Come on.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #9
oh the horror
NBA Legend
 
oh the horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 15,713
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
How was that foul by Wade today a flagrant and not this one? Come on.


Because one hard foul decided a game, so everyone is crying about it.


Sooner or later people will insist it wasnt called because the league is fixed.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 AM   #10
Gevz2kX
Logician
 
Gevz2kX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 743
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
How was that foul by Wade today a flagrant and not this one? Come on.

because it wasn't the same refs in both those games. It shouldn't be so hard to understand that different refs make different calls.
Gevz2kX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 AM   #11
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 16,968
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

Quote:
I like how the league that makes the rules regarding flagrant fouls even says it wasn't a flagrant...and people still hate. Obviously the people who define what a flagrant foul is are wrong, and the people on the internet are the ones who are right!

So all sports leagues are correct after someone in an office reviews a call and judges it one way or the other when public perception is at best split and likely heavily in one sides favor? What makes the person who made that call "righter" than everyone else other than the fact they have to make the final call? Its gonna go one way or the other. Something this heavily argued is never as cut and dry as "Well...____ says this and that proves this side is right". Plenty of calls will be argued forever and nothing any league says ends that. THe NBa, NFL, and MLB have all come out saying one thing or another on questionable calls. At times flatly contradicting themselves from earlier.

This is almost like saying the Rodney King beating really was legal because state employees are the ones who did it and the state defines the laws and a state court oversaw the trial that freed the police. A governing body deciding something is ok doesnt make it consistient with the rules they judged it by. Just means they have the power to make the call and can then explain it how they like because you cant do anything about it. People have been executed and then found innocent with DNA evidence after death....when the law assumes the people were innocent unless proven guilty. The law can be bent to "prove" factually innocent people guilty and kill them. But a basketball decision is automatically right because the people who get to make that decidion say it is?

We have all seen that kind of play called a flagrant a hundred times. The NBA saying that now it isnt doesnt make it consistient with their rules. It means they said it is. And saying something doesnt make it true. Even if the person saying it is given the power to decide. Doesnt make it right.

A windup, intent, impact, and follow through are matters of opinion no matter who is juging it. And id bet anything that same play is called a flagrant by most who know what one is(or has been the last few years).

NBA saying it isnt is irrelevant. People dont become infallible when they are named to some position in the NBA front office.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 04-30-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #12
Splitz77
Good High School Starter
 
Splitz77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 873
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffttime
the referees are whack.. they're so incosistent.. if you're gonna make a call, make it.. don't let the tempo of the game or situation decide the calls for you.. if that same play happened first quarter into the game, guaranteed that's a flagrant..

ya'll need to understand that the refs are people too, they make mistakes. Get over it, their not going to see everything, or call everything.
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 AM   #13
burnsy87
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 867
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitz77
ya'll need to understand that the refs are people too, they make mistakes. Get over it, their not going to see everything, or call everything.


They watched a replay of it numerous times. If they couldnt see that, then they are absolute morons and deserve to be fired.

Wades attempted block shot today is a flagrant but Rondo intentionally hitting another player in the face to prevent him from scoring isnt?!?! what the ****?!?!?
burnsy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:19 AM   #14
reppy
Apparently likes anime
 
reppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,004
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevz2kX
because it wasn't the same refs in both those games. It shouldn't be so hard to understand that different refs make different calls.

The league reviewed it after the fact and said the correct call was made. I disagree. Lots of people disagree. And now we see Wade getting a flagrant for a similar play. Will the league rescind it because it was the wrong call?
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #15
burnsy87
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 867
Default Re: what did the press say Rondo say vs NBA said

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
The league reviewed it after the fact and said the correct call was made. I disagree. Lots of people disagree. And now we see Wade getting a flagrant for a similar play. Will the league rescind it because it was the wrong call?

Wades wasnt even similar. He actually came close to blocking the ball...like half an inch close. Rondo literally just punched miller in the jaw with zero play on the ball. Theres no debate to it. The league is all over the Celtics nuts just because of the amount of bandwagon fans they have buying their bull**** merchandise.
burnsy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy