Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
unbreakable
National High School Star

unbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Im thinking about getting my first credit card...

Ive gone 24 years without one.. but Im thinking aBout getting one for a couple reasons : to consistently buy my protein supplements every month and for any type of emergency I may ever have..

Im a college graduate with no history of credit.. what do yall think I should look into as far as credit cards? Visa? MC? Discovery?
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Im thinking about getting my first credit card...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbreakable
Ive gone 24 years without one.. but Im thinking aBout getting one for a couple reasons : to consistently buy my protein supplements every month and for any type of emergency I may ever have..

Im a college graduate with no history of credit.. what do yall think I should look into as far as credit cards? Visa? MC? Discovery?

I have 1 credit card.. and its perfect for creating a positive credit rating... Use the card and make sure you pay it off on time... you dont buy huge things on it and you dont buy things like gasoline or food from mcdonalds on it...

I use mine to improve my credit rating...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
JJ81
Good college starter

JJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this board

lol
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
John Smith
Local High School Star

John Smith has decent reputation

you should have had one YEARS ago. it's an easy way to build great credit. you can't buy a brand new Cadillac without great credit, son.

you don't have to pay it off in full either, just make sure you pay the minimum balances off and don't miss any payments.

creditors actually prefer people who have debt because they know they can make more money off of them through interest rates.
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Why would you want to risk getting in debt while you're still in college? Doesnt make sense.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Why would you want to risk getting in debt while you're still in college? Doesnt make sense.

As long as you have common sense about it then it's not gonna throw you into debt. I've gotten 2 in the past year or so for the same reason Rasheed1 said, to build up some type of credit. I just spend about $20-$40 on it a month and make sure i keep up the payments and it makes it easier to make big purchases later on when they check your credit history and see that you've never been late or missed a payment. Only ones who run into problems are the idiots who get cards and run $500+ on them while they're still in college.

As long as you know what you're doing it's actually a really good idea to start building up credit while you're still in college so you can get a nice place to live when you graduate
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
As long as you have common sense about it then it's not gonna throw you into debt. I've gotten 2 in the past year or so for the same reason Rasheed1 said, to build up some type of credit. I just spend about $20-$40 on it a month and make sure i keep up the payments and it makes it easier to make big purchases later on when they check your credit history and see that you've never been late or missed a payment. Only ones who run into problems are the idiots who get cards and run $500+ on them while they're still in college.

As long as you know what you're doing it's actually a really good idea to start building up credit while you're still in college so you can get a nice place to live when you graduate

That wont be a problem since I'll have the money to pay for it. It's better to not risk it while you're in college. A credit card is just another thing I have to worry about.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
John Smith
Local High School Star

Most bums on the street have a better financial situation than most Americans. They might have 75 cents in their cup but at least they don't have negative dollars!

hey have you slackers ever heard of going to college and working full time?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Good advice in this thread. Get one, don't spend too much on it every month, make your payments, and once you're ready to buy a car or get an apartment, you have great credit to back you up.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

I'm thinking about getting one too. Just to build credit. So when I go to get a car loan down the road it's not gonna be 25% interest.

Maybe just get one of those AAA gas card things where you get a discount on gas... would that help my credit?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
That wont be a problem since I'll have the money to pay for it. It's better to not risk it while you're in college. A credit card is just another thing I have to worry about.
Awesome let's put off crucial things because they are annoying.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Hawker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
Awesome let's put off crucial things because they are annoying.

It's not crucial if I have the money and if I have a constant source of income. I'll pay for a car with straight cash or check. The only thing I'd pay with a credit card would be a house.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
John Smith
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
I'm thinking about getting one too. Just to build credit. So when I go to get a car loan down the road it's not gonna be 25% interest.

Maybe just get one of those AAA gas card things where you get a discount on gas... would that help my credit?

you don't even need a car loan. you can lease and then buy. that's what i did. i pay $421 a month for a brand new Cadillac and have the option of paying 15 G's when the lease is up. I put down 3 G's with taxes and everything. nevermind the 9 G's I put into rims, sounds, LED's, tv's, lambo doors, etc.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
It's not crucial if I have the money and if I have a constant source of income. I'll pay for a car with straight cash or check. The only thing I'd pay with a credit card would be a house.
So you're just going to go out and buy a house with no credit rating? Especially a few years after this whole debacle has happened?
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
Hawker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
So you're just going to go out and buy a house with no credit rating? Especially a few years after this whole debacle has happened?

If this debacle has shown anything, it's that credit cards are stupid.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: