Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Common, The Roots, Nas, Big Boi, RZA, Reflection Eternal + MORE. Rock the Bells 2009

oh god, another hip hop thread. worth noting though. ridiculous lineup, Rock the Bells has had some dream teams in the past, this year looks to be no exception.

Rock the Bells 2009 lineup

Hosted by KRS-One, Super Natural, MURS, & Pete Rock

Nas & Damian "Jr Gong" Marley
The Roots
Common
Big Boi
KRS-One

House of Pain featuring La Coka Nostra
Reflection Eternal
Tech N9ne
K'Naan
RZA
Raekwon

Sage Francis
MOP
Slaughterhouse
Eyedea & Abilities
Necro
Slum Village
Evidence & Alchemist
Chali 2na
Psycho Realm
Mystic Journeyman
Buckshot
Mickey Factz
B. Dolan
Tabi Bonney

"OK, so it's not as much a big bang as last year (A Tribe Called Quest reunion) or the one before (Rage Against The Machine reunion), but Rock The Bells 2009 does have some interesting artists on the lineup. Besides a welcome reunion (Reflection Eternal) (Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek), one suspect one (House of Pain) and some great repeat offenders (Nas, RZA, Raekwon, MOP, Sage Francis, Slum Village), this year's Rock The Bells also boasts an Outkast (Big Boi), a windy city fave (Common), and a true sicko (Necro)."

Chicago, IL - Saturday June 27th
First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre -

Detroit, MI - Sunday June 28th
DTE Energy Music Theatre -

Toronto, ONT - Sunday July 5th
Molson Amphitheatre -

Washington, DC - Sunday July 12th
Merriweather Post Pavilion -

Boston, MA - Saturday July 18th
Comcast Center -

New York, NY - Sunday July 19th
Jones Beach Theater -

Vancouver, BC - Saturday August 1st
Deer Lake Park

Denver, CO - Thursday August 6th
Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Los Angeles, CA - Saturday August 8th
San Manuel Amphitheatre

San Francisco, CA - Sunday August 9th
Shoreline Amphitheatre

http://www.guerillaunion.com/rockthebells/

Last edited by Lamar Doom : 05-01-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Bean
Local High School Star

Bean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Common, The Roots, Nas, Big Boi, RZA, Reflection Eternal + MORE. Rock the Bells 2009

Compared with the line up last year this is nothing to shout about.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Common, The Roots, Nas, Big Boi, RZA, Reflection Eternal + MORE. Rock the Bells 2

I'll be attending this:

P.S. DMB is my least favorite band in the world. I'm disappointed I'll have to be in vicinity as them and their fans.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Common, The Roots, Nas, Big Boi, RZA, Reflection Eternal + MORE. Rock the Bells 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
Compared with the line up last year this is nothing to shout about.

100% agree, last year's lineup might have been the greatest hip hop show ever compiled (though i don't know how many shows all the headliners were at).
Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Default Re: Common, The Roots, Nas, Big Boi, RZA, Reflection Eternal + MORE. Rock the Bells 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
P.S. DMB is my least favorite band in the world. I'm disappointed I'll have to be in vicinity as them and their fans.

I got into DMB in 1995 before their fan base drove me away from the band. obnoxious. i saw them at HORDE festivals in the late 90's in chicago and they always put on a sick show despite the crop of frat boys and f*ck heads who are there solely to see them. looks like an awesome well balanced eclectic show, better not admit you like Black Eyed Peas on this board, you'll get eaten alive by the purists.

but the first two albums were great

I said it.

Last edited by Lamar Doom : 05-01-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
That video was always on The Box. I had that album on casette at one point. They used to be a very enjoyable group. Now it is only about Will.I.Am and Fergie. app and Taboo get little face time anymore.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Bean
Local High School Star

Bean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
100% agree, last year's lineup might have been the greatest hip hop show ever compiled (though i don't know how many shows all the headliners were at).

Even if that was the case the amount of other acts there that would have filled that void was awesome. After the Roots, RZA, Raekwon and Reflection eternal there is not really much else I would be interested in.

And the line up for that outside lands festivel does look hot apart from DMB as marlo said.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I got into DMB in 1995 before their fan base drove me away from the band. obnoxious. i saw them at HORDE festivals in the late 90's in chicago and they always put on a sick show despite the crop of frat boys and f*ck heads who are there solely to see them. looks like a sick show, better not admit you like Black Eyed Peas on this board, you'll get eaten alive by the purists.

but the first two albums were great
Not a fan of BEP.

Artists I'm interested in seeing in order:

Calexico - arguably my favorite band
Deerhunter - right up there as well, please check out their last album "weird era/microcastle", here is a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oup-m8Hxx4Y
TV On The Radio - awesome
Os Mutantes - Brazilian Psychedelic Pop
The National - Good Indie Rock
Modest Mouse - new sh*t sux but Lonesome Crowd West was a masterpiece
Dengue Fever - Cambodian Bubble Gum Pop/Psychedelic great to do drugs on, hung out with them in SF a few times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQYOGkCk2DA
The Dodos - Chill acoustic/indie pop.
Mastodon - Awesome heavy metal.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
Bean
Local High School Star

Quote:
Not a fan of BEP.

Deerhunter - right up there as well, please check out their last album "weird era/microcastle", here is a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oup-m8Hxx4Y
Dengue Fever - Cambodian Bubble Gum Pop/Psychedelic great to do drugs on, hung out with them in SF a few times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQYOGkCk2DA

Your stock has just be raised.

Also, Ween would be up there.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
Your stock has just be raised.

Also, Ween would be up there.
Ha, Ween is from my home town of New Hope, Pennsylvania population like 5k.

I've seen Ween countless times. They're always hanging at the local bar.

It's pretty typical to see Mickey pick up a guitar at open mic night and just jam for a few hours in front of like 5 heads.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Roots
Common
Big Boi
KRS-One
La Coka Nostra
Reflection Eternal
RZA
Raekwon
Sage Francis
MOP
Necro
Chali 2na

Sick. Why must I live in Nova Scotia?
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

emsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation here

why is nas grouped with damian marley?
emsteez forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
ikoiko
Local High School Star

ikoiko has decent reputationikoiko has decent reputation

judging from the rock the bells list of rappers, my guess is there will be a 25 to 1 ratio of white people vs black people there.
ikoiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Hosted by KRS-One, Super Natural, MURS, & Pete Rock

The Roots
Common
Big Boi
KRS-One
House of Pain featuring La Coka Nostra
Reflection Eternal
Tech N9ne
K'Naan
RZA
Raekwon

Sage Francis
MOP
Slaughterhouse
Eyedea & Abilities
Necro
Slum Village
Evidence & Alchemist
Chali 2na
Psycho Realm
Mystic Journeyman
Buckshot
Mickey Factz
B. Dolan
Tabi Bonney

lineup is good, but not great. i've heard reflection eternal is playing with a band, so that should be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsteez forreal
why is nas grouped with damian marley?

he's releasing an album with him this year.

Quote:
Not a fan of BEP.

oldskool modest mouse is dope. calexico is excellent live (the horn section will get you dancing) and os mutantes is the sh][t. if you get a chance go see q-tip. he has a band with him that is f*cking amazing, and he plays all the tribe called quest stuff. great live performer, too.
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I'll be attending this:

That's some ****ing incredible lineup. Calexico is one of my favourite bands too, I finally got to see them live some months ago and they're ever better than I expected, especially the covers they played. Thievery corporation are awesome too, perhaps too chill for a festival, but great nonetheless. Tv on the radio, os mutantes...damn, so many great bands. ****, lucky you...
EDIT: I uploaded a rare Joy Division cover by Calexico. The quality is rather poor, but it's still awesome.
Calexico - Love will tear us apart.

Last edited by Lebowsky : 05-01-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: