Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
tastystaci
Local High School Star

tastystaci has decent reputation
Default Re: Worst baseball crime: Taking steroids or tipping opponents off to pitches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
Taking steroids = illegal. Without a prescription, you're supposed to be arrested.

Tipping opponents = though not against the law, is poor sportsmanship.

Basically, both represent poor sportsmanship. But, there's a huge difference between saying "Hey Johnny, Joey's throwing a fastball over the middle of the plate" and becoming a legend through cheating and breaking the law. I've played schoolyard ball. Everyone has displayed poor sportsmanship at some point. But, taking steroids was never one of those things.

Again, the thread says "worst BASEBALL crime". I'm not Johnny Cochran, and I don't care which is illegal. One is making yourself better(which would help your team), the other is throwing your own teammate under the bus, hurting your team. Flawed logic once again.
tastystaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Worst baseball crime: Taking steroids or tipping opponents off to pitches?

I didnt know people disliked Aroid so much. He never rubbed me the wrong way.

But hearing these new allegations that he was juicing since high school? Wow. I wonder how legit that is. He might take it to his grave since you really cant prove it. Or after he is done with baseball and years later could write a book. Maybe this is just BS. I'm not saying i believe he did. But it just raises an eyebrow like The Rock.

So long as my man Griff Jr didnt do anything I couldnt care less. I'd be crushed if some crap came out about him.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I didnt know people disliked Aroid so much. He never rubbed me the wrong way.

But hearing these new allegations that he was juicing since high school? Wow. I wonder how legit that is. He might take it to his grave since you really cant prove it. Or after he is done with baseball and years later could write a book. Maybe this is just BS. I'm not saying i believe he did. But it just raises an eyebrow like The Rock.

So long as my man Griff Jr didnt do anything I couldnt care less. I'd be crushed if some crap came out about him.

You know what? Griffey knows about all the crap he could've taken to stay healthier, or come back from his injuries sooner, but he chose not to. That makes him a truly great player. He's officially the greatest non-dead ball era player, IMO.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Agreed pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc3792
go die gobb

Rep me before i proceed to off myself
Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #20
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Selena Roberts needs to leave the guy alone. Every time I look up there is some more Alex centered outrage, and I believe it all stems from jealousy. When he was still a modestly paid, for a major leaguer, and playing for The Mariners, he was loved. As soon as he signed that contract with The Rangers, everyone and their aunt started taking shots at the guy. Personally I like A-Rod. The guy can come across as plastic sometimes, but I can't blame him for that. No matter what he says or does he will be picked apart and hated for it regardleses. He worked harder than everyone else to get where to he is today. When he found that he could not improve anymore naturally, he began to enhance his performance artificially. I have no problem with a guy using whatever tools he has at his disposal to get to the top of his profession.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #21
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Guys were just as good as he was, even better doing it naturally. That just means he didn't work hard enough.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #22
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Selena Roberts needs to leave the guy alone. Every time I look up there is some more Alex centered outrage, and I believe it all stems from jealousy. When he was still a modestly paid, for a major leaguer, and playing for The Mariners, he was loved. As soon as he signed that contract with The Rangers, everyone and their aunt started taking shots at the guy. Personally I like A-Rod. The guy can come across as plastic sometimes, but I can't blame him for that. No matter what he says or does he will be picked apart and hated for it regardleses. He worked harder than everyone else to get where to he is today. When he found that he could not improve anymore naturally, he began to enhance his performance artificially. I have no problem with a guy using whatever tools he has at his disposal to get to the top of his profession.

I have no problem with someone using a turbo controller as i play xbox 360 online. Yet there is an unfair advantages and you have to find creative ways to defeat those with them. And at times you run into streaks of getting smacked. This is sorta the same thing with Arod, the unfair advantage. Natural? He was tough to contain. Now add the artificial preservatives and

There probably is some jealousy, envy at him getting paid insane bucks. I mean he signed one of the most notable contracts in sports history. Then he got paid even more the 2nd go round. Damn he is filthy rich. Is Pujols seeing the same financial benefits? Just curious...lost track on how much these dudes be getting paid.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #23
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastystaci
Again, the thread says "worst BASEBALL crime". I'm not Johnny Cochran, and I don't care which is illegal. One is making yourself better(which would help your team), the other is throwing your own teammate under the bus, hurting your team. Flawed logic once again.
but it also uses the word crime. so there you go. Regardless, I think the steroids is worse, since it gives an advantage at every at bat rather than selectively. What do you think of VC tipping plays when he was in toronto?
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #24
HisJoeness
ISH's Best Looking

HisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher

I agree with you save for the last sentence. The speculation on Roberts part is ridiculous. It boggles my mind that she would try to bring this sort of allegation to light without concrete facts.

Last edited by HisJoeness : 04-30-2009 at 06:31 PM.
HisJoeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #25
Dasher

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Pujols aint making that ARod money. He is actually a bargain. Chumps like C.C., and Marky T are making way more monopoly money than he is. Pujols is getting paid Kevin Brown money.

Baseball is a game that is full of unfair advantages. It has been about bending rule more probably more than any sport, and because of that, ALL the records and accomplishments have in my eyes always been suspect.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Did A-Rod turn Selena down for a date or something? What she's got is some personal vendetta for the man. She doesn't care about the sanctity of the game.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #27
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Sheffield was never good enough for anyone to care about him being an a**hole. Everyone knew Bonds was juicing, so him being an ******* isn't much of a surprise. Remember a few years ago when everyone was saying, "Whew! Thank God we all know Arod isn't on the juice, I knew it all along! He's now the true GOAT. The greatest 'cause he did it naturally!" I do. Everyone and their mother said it when Bonds was accused. Now look at the situation. People are angrier at Arod now because of their niave thoughts a few years ago. Everyone viewed his as the saviour of baseball, the best, the natural. And now that he's been ousted, plus the fact that everyone thought he was an ******* even when they thought he was pure, and were willing to overlook it, the hate has been elevated beyond his peers. And to be accused of something like tipping off oppenents is enough. It doesn't matter if he's guilty or innocent, just the fact that he was accused now puts the thought into everyone's minds and he'll be forever associated with cheating, in every shape and form of it.

How can you not see that? Arod fanatic?

Sheffield was never good enough to be noticed for his attitude? Okay.
I don't think people viewed him as the savior of baseball, it was a lesser of two evils. Bonds generates more hate than Alex (then and now), so fans saw him as hope to surpass Bonds for the HR record. Don't know about saving baseball. The baseball fans were angry that Alex admitted to steroid use? Really? I don't think I know of a single person who was angry at alex for admitting to steroid use.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #28
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Did A-Rod turn Selena down for a date or something? What she's got is some personal vendetta for the man. She doesn't care about the sanctity of the game.

Just a wild guess. Maybe this helps her career somehow you think?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #29
Dasher

She already has a consistent column at SI, that I skip on the regular. Her writing is bland on a good day, and libelous on average to bad days. Maybe she thinks that she is gonna pull a Mark Fainara-Wada and use her book to get a gig with ESPN.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #30
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
Sheffield was never good enough to be noticed for his attitude? Okay.
I don't think people viewed him as the savior of baseball, it was a lesser of two evils. Bonds generates more hate than Alex (then and now), so fans saw him as hope to surpass Bonds for the HR record. Don't know about saving baseball. The baseball fans were angry that Alex admitted to steroid use? Really? I don't think I know of a single person who was angry at alex for admitting to steroid use.

I didn't say Sheffield wasn't good enough for anyone to notice his attitude, I said he was never good enough for everyone to hate him like everyone hates Bonds/Arod, and he wasn't. Bonds and ARod at one time or another were both considered the GOATs, both currently and all time. Sheffield was never on their level.

I don't know where you were when Bonds was ousted, but everyone, I mean everyone was talking about ARod and how he was now the true GOAT and the best in the game, and how he was all natural, and how we have to learn to really appreciate his stats and what he brings to the game. Even Tim Kurkjian went on a stats rant about ARod on ESPN when Bonds was de-crowned. Am I the only one who remembers this? Can I get a confirmation?

People hated ARod for whatever reason, but they still respected him because of his abilities. I did. I hated his guts, but I used to always say, "I hate him, but goddamn is he the greatest. And he's doing it naturally, not like Bonds that cheatin' f*ck." People needed that one guy, the greatest, and for a time, ARod was it. Bonds was before, and now? Griffey Jr. is the greatest. Savior was probably the wrong word. He wasn't the savior, he was the guy that filled the GOAT void when Bonds happened.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: