Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
highwhey
PBS Media

Default question for the doctors of ISH

I have psoriasis. thankfully the very potent cream my doctor gave me worked well, but this is like cream #3, the previous didn't work well.

anyhow, i was reading online about the causes and triggers for psoriasis when i ran into this little snippet that had me facepalming.

Quote:
in males, excess alcohol consumption (at levels higher then 100g/day) appears to be a risk factor for the development and increased activity of psoriasis.
Quote:
Interestingly, the cutaneous distribution of psoriasis in heavy drinkers tends to be predominantly acral, involving the dorsum of the hands and digits

i was a binge drinker up until recently, am a young male, and my psoriasis is acral, specifically in the dorsum of my hands. it is not present anywhere else on my body.

just as they described.

i've stopped drinking and my psoriasis has stopped spreading, is their any chance of long term(years) remission if i don't touch alcohol again?
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
HenryGarfunkle
Henry The Great

Default Re: question for the doctors of ISH

Stop eating
HenryGarfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
Annyong!
I rule the local playground

You are doomed either way.
Annyong! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Nick Young
Banned

no offense meant bro, but I think psoriasis is linked to obesity more than it is alcohol.

Of course I am not a doctor. Whatever the cause, hope it clears up. (no sarcasm)
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Nilocon165
Cavs

RIP
Nilocon165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
Poetry
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
i've stopped drinking and my psoriasis has stopped spreading, is their any chance of long term(years) remission if i don't touch alcohol again?

"Alcohol appears to affect psoriasis in men more strongly than in women. One study found that heavy drinking actually lowered treatment response in men. Other studies have shown that men with psoriasis drink more than men without, that there is a significantly higher incidence of psoriasis in alcoholics, and that abstinence can improve the severity of the disease.

Dr. Naldi confirms that "data concerning alcohol consumption are less clear-cut. It seems that only young men who are heavy drinkers are at a higher risk for psoriasis, but other studies have shown that drinking alcohol has a negative effect on clinical response to treatment and on the likelihood of remission."

In addition, it should be noted that alcohol can have dangerous side effects when combined with certain psoriasis medications, such as methotrexate or acitretin (brand name Soriatane) in women of child-bearing potential."

https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/ho...fect-psoriasis
Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
Draz
The People's Choice

btch did you fck someone with that?
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
fiddy
Raider of Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
btch did you fck someone with that?
That ratchet Jam?
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Wife is a RN and its a product in your system , attacking it's self.

I have a neighbor that has it ,,, I feel for you.

BEST to you/
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #10
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
i don't see why not. if it's something that didn't exist before and got exacerbated by a specific activity, then i'd say odds are good for long-term remission.

also, the type of hooch you consume may make a big difference in this area. beer is basically liquid bread, so if you're one of the many people whose health suffers due to consuming processed grains, just cutting that alone out may make a yuge difference.

different liquors are of course made from different mashes, get processed differently, get filtered differently, and contain different impurities. so you might react strongly to a certain tequila but not most vodkas, for example. this is something you can experiment with.

diet almost certainly plays a role in this as well. food can be medicine or poison, depending, so it's always worth improving your diet IMO.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #11
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i don't see why not. if it's something that didn't exist before and got exacerbated by a specific activity, then i'd say odds are good for long-term remission.

also, the type of hooch you consume may make a big difference in this area. beer is basically liquid bread, so if you're one of the many people whose health suffers due to consuming processed grains, just cutting that alone out may make a yuge difference.

different liquors are of course made from different mashes, get processed differently, get filtered differently, and contain different impurities. so you might react strongly to a certain tequila but not most vodkas, for example. this is something you can experiment with.

diet almost certainly plays a role in this as well. food can be medicine or poison, depending, so it's always worth improving your diet IMO.

This.

Also, how much sleep are you getting? Are able to sleep until you are no longer tired everyday? This is always underrated, even by dermatologists, in treating psoriasis/eczema. Try getting enough sleep for a month or two straight and you will probably see a big improvement.
Cleverness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #13
highwhey
PBS Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
If you were wondering why your Obamacare premiums went up, this is why. Illegal getting free medical care... SMH Thanks Obama!
breh, i am a natural born citizen. and i pay a pretty expensive premium with a ridiculously high deductible.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #14
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Maybe it's the shampoo you using bruh? Try anti nizoral

Maybe a scalp brush would work for you too?
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #15
dude77
NBA rookie of the year

you have an allergy to something and/or you're a fatass .. it stopped when you dropped the liquor .. so there's one culprit .. excess refined sugar .. sodas, sweets shit like that can bring it on .. yeah, it will stay away as long as you stay away from all that garbage .. also, regular exercise and good sleep will keep it in check .. trust me I know what I'm talking about .. also, being a fatass can trigger it so if you're a fatass, get in shape
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: