Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #181
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: pickup/league play Weekly brag (post yours here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Well yea playing college ballers I wouldn't expect to get off a lot of good looks either. I would hope they know how to play some D That's great practice tho I assume your game has gotten a little better because of it? Should make playing against those other guys easier.

it's pretty good. I'm not saying the big guys come out and play with us. It's usually just these 2 tall white guys, and 2 guards. Playing with them is no fun cuz they just ball hog, but it's not hard to beat them. It's funny though how I just can't seem to get by them, when I can put the same moves on every other kid in the gym and score with ease. It makes playing scrubs real easy
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #182
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

This was a while ago, but I had messed up my knee and was playing ball with these older dudes and went to dunk on this guy and accidentally broke his hand.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #183
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automajic23
it's pretty good. I'm not saying the big guys come out and play with us. It's usually just these 2 tall white guys, and 2 guards. Playing with them is no fun cuz they just ball hog, but it's not hard to beat them. It's funny though how I just can't seem to get by them, when I can put the same moves on every other kid in the gym and score with ease. It makes playing scrubs real easy

Well are you trying to score by crossing them up or are you in triple threat? If you're playing against good competition and aren't real quick then it's hard to score when you aren't in triple threat. Usually by using a series of fakes though you can get by most people at least enough to get up a decent shot. Hey sometimes you just can't beat someone tho... there are those that are either more gifted or simply have good instincts. With those people you need to find other ways to score. You don't always have to get by someone to score either... IMO the spin is perfect for that. If you don't get by them and they are riding your hip just spin off them and either go to score or give em an up fake after your spin.

I don't know... it just takes practice, but there are moves to counter just about anything anybody does... just have to get comfortable with them. I'm not there yet either... but I do know it can be done.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #184
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Well are you trying to score by crossing them up or are you in triple threat? If you're playing against good competition and aren't real quick then it's hard to score when you aren't in triple threat. Usually by using a series of fakes though you can get by most people at least enough to get up a decent shot. Hey sometimes you just can't beat someone tho... there are those that are either more gifted or simply have good instincts. With those people you need to find other ways to score. You don't always have to get by someone to score either... IMO the spin is perfect for that. If you don't get by them and they are riding your hip just spin off them and either go to score or give em an up fake after your spin.

I don't know... it just takes practice, but there are moves to counter just about anything anybody does... just have to get comfortable with them. I'm not there yet either... but I do know it can be done.

Depends on the opposition, find their weakness and expose it.
For instance if you have a defender who is quick on his feet but not strong take him to the post and beat him down low. Remember that if you cant get over the guy by using your explosiveness, cant get through him using power you need to find ways to get around them. Look at tapes from Earl Monroe.
You can always have a positive effect on the game even if the other guy is much better than you. Set good screens, focus on playing good defense and rebounding the ball, give good passes, talk out there and lead the team.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #185
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Quote:

Triple threat on the wings and corners, back to the basket in the low high post getting position. Yeah most people it's not a problem, but I do occassionally run into a matchup where I just can't beat him face up or beat him with my back to the basket so yeah, I do end up looking for backdoor cuts and off screens to get open shots. Doesn't happen a lot but there will always someone out there better than me head to head
Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #186
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Haha yea if I can't score on a guy faceup or back to the basket then I don't have a problem setting screens and trying to find openings. I don't like to admit it tho... It would take a few times of just being shut down for me to say "Okay... this guy just has me". I mean if a guy is like 6'4 and quick then I'm too mad about it cus I'm only 5'11 so whatver... but if he is 6'2 or shorter or just not very quick... I feel like I can take em whenever I want and if I can't I am kind of steamed lol... but I don't show it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #187
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Just got back from the gym a little while ago. Was just going to shoot around with my buddy for a little while but a couple guys (looked like brothers) asked us if we wanted to play 2 on 2. I was like "Yea sure we'll play a light game"... ya know cus I've been ailed for last few months. We start playing though and this damn kid starts playing at 100 mph running from sideline, going for every offensive board, and trying to come up from behind us when we got a board and take the ball... On top of that he is practically shouting "off" on every on of our shots which eventually evolved to "He's not gonna make it" when called out by his brother for playing off of us. Well after getting down 12-5 (my buddy hit 5 in a row to start the game so it was like a 12-0 run) mostly due to me not playing defense because I thought we were taking it light... but I just about had it with this clown (His brother was fine but he was an idiot) and started trying. We ripped off a quick 5 points before missing. They get the board and the brother trys to cross me over... took that shit from him so quick lol he had his back to basket when I guarded him the rest of game and the next one. We ripped off another quick 5 and game was over. Next game we spotted them 10 points or so and then got serious and came back and won again.

Call it ego or whatever... but man that kid pissed me off. I was bumping that little twerp moving him out of the paint for easy layups... Crossed him up about 10 times before it was all said and done... and hopefully demoralized him. My dude hit about 7 or 8 jumpers right in his face too (purposely in his face lol). I think I am developing a Kobe syndrome lol just trying to destroy catz... but it really was escalated by this kids stupidity. Didn't say a word either during all this cus I'm not a trash talker, but I think he got the message

Anyway... after about of an hour of ice and heat application... hammy's feeling alright so I can't hate myself too much for this unnecessary (yet very necessary) act.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #188
Quata
TheBogeyOne

Quata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation here

Playing a club match tomorrow, first time ive played 5v5 in about year and a half. Only done some 2v2/3v3 shit a few times over the past 6 months.
Plowking should be playing as well, so ill let you know how it goes!
Quata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:47 AM   #189
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quata
Playing a club match tomorrow, first time ive played 5v5 in about year and a half. Only done some 2v2/3v3 shit a few times over the past 6 months.
Plowking should be playing as well, so ill let you know how it goes!

Get ready to be tired lol.

Was playing today... first game was ugly. The ball was so crappy to me... no grip, really light... just sucked. I don't know why we were playing with it. My guy picked me a couple times, but I also picked him twice as well... but we didn't score on either of them though and they scored on 1 of mine. Anyway lost that one... then I had to play one terrible game with 2 old guys who wouldn't set screen or do shit... worst game I've ever played honestly. Finally we got a got ball handler and slasher on our team who knew how to play and it was fun... had 2 other other teammates who hustled and could finish and then my dude is a great cutter and finisher. I had like 6 out of 12 points the first game, and then 3 or 4 the next couple until we lost by a point on the 3rd one. My shot was falling for those games and I was in a rhythm... probably because unlike the first couple games, I was inspired to play and I was getting open and also making plays (usually I'm hit or miss on the first game or two and then get in a groove...I guess I get warmed up and comfortable or something). After a game wait I played one last game (hamstrings didn't want any part of it but I just said screw it lol) and that might have been the most fun even though my shots were mostly rimming out. I was out there practicing moves basically... step throughs, pro hops, etc. and they felt good lol.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 02-28-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #190
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

swaggin where do you play out in sac?
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #191
Quata
TheBogeyOne

Quata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation here

First match was also very ugly, pretty sure i air balled like 3-4 shots and got tired every 2 minutes so was walking the majority of the game. Ended up with 8 points. Plowking was our top scorer and blocked a f tonne of shots

But yeh it was the first time most of the team had ever played together and we are all pretty much unfit, but yeah lost by 3 in an easily winnable game, once we get some training sesh's going should see some success.
Quata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #192
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
swaggin where do you play out in sac?

I play at the 24 hour fitness in Roseville. Supposedly it's the best 24 hour to play at in the area... and I'd be willing to bet it's the best gym to play at in the area period. It has a good mix of players of all ages, races, and athletic abilities. everybody is treated with respect for the most part... except at certain times when the comp. is at it's best... Then the old guys or guys that can't play that well can get yelled at lol.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #193
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

DarkSephiroth has an OK reputation so far

We had a hilarious game today in the first game of League at the local park. We have a ridiculously good team, full of guys who used to play college ball, anchored by a 6'9 270lb. center. We won the game, 92-73, against a decent team who had a guy who played overseas, and a couple of solid players on their squad, all Black except the guy who played overseas (He looked hispanic). We generally play in the top leagues in the Valley, often competing against ex-NBA players like Pooh Richardson, Bryon Russell, Mark Jackson, Mitch Ritchmond, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head right now. We're playing this park league because it's our hometown, and we are really good friends with the guy who runs the league. Our plan is to just play one season, dominate everyone, and then play elsewhere next season.

We're just way too talented. Our team is basically me running the point (I am a Steve Nash type Point Guard, played College ball a couple years back), a 6'1 210 lb. bruiser / shooter at the 2 spot (Excellent Offensive player, good for 20 every game but never plays defense.), and then a 6'6 SF (Amazing Defensive player, at 35 years old still blocks about 6-7 shots per game + 3-4 steals to start our fastbreaks.) Our PF is 6'5 and plays a Ronny Turiaf style (Mainly defense / rebound oriented, but he can fill the lanes and run the floor offensively), and the big man Center is 6'9 270 and a complete BEAST. Our bench has a 1/2 combo guard who is extremely solid (He averaged 22 & 10 as a Junior in High School, but ended up being ineligible for senior year and didn't get any luck with college due to that considering he's only 5'9... but he can dunk with ease and is super athletic.), a 6'6 260 lb. big white guy who has great court vision and decent back to the basket game, and a 6'4 defensive minded player who doesn't do too much on offense but fill lanes an make layups. I had 33 & 10 Assists tonight... this team is super run and gun and the style is perfect for us! We pressure the ball and funnel the other teams towards our shot blockers, clean the glass, and just run run run, Phoenix Suns Style! I just push the ball up and find people constantly, and score whenever there's an opening.

But the highlight of the game was a hilarious play involving our big. With 7 minutes to go in the 2nd half, they started making a little run, so I decided to just blow by my man and go to the rim. The opposing big man helped to me immediately, so I just threw a little shovel pass to our big man, who was standing at the dotted line. They rotated, and a guy ended up coming over to help and he decided that he would wrap up the big man so he just bear hugged him. Unfortunately for him, our big gathered the ball with a power hop and went up STRONG with both hands, taking the defender with him for the ride. The defender was still hanging on for dear life, when the ball slammed through the rim, with the sound like a rocket went off down the defender's throat, the force throwing the defender to the floor. Needless to say, it was an And-1, and everyone in the gym went CRAZY. After the game was over, the referee said "Oh my goodness, he bent the rim! Look at it! We've gotta do something about that!"

The guy who got dunked on walked to halfcourt, and overheard me talking about how our big man is extremely good and should be playing somewhere professionally, and he interjected, saying "Naw, he's too small, he ain't good enough to go anywhere." I just started at him blankly, thinking ... "Really.. 6'9 270 is too small to go anywhere? You would really say that after having that happen to you?" But I never talk on the basketball court and I'm a good natured guy, so I just didn't say anything. XD

At the end of the game, some guy tried to do a highlight reel dunk on our PF when we were up by 20, and our PF stopped him in the air with his body and fouled him trying to block the dunk. The guy started talking crap, saying how he was going to dunk on him and all this junk, and my guy was just joking back like "No, you're not, and we're up by 20, who cares?" and the guy started getting all mad at him for saying that and just kept talking and talking, and didn't shake our hand after the game.

LoL, it's hilarious when people have such a ridiculous sense of pride.
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #194
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSephiroth
We had a hilarious game today in the first game of League at the local park. We have a ridiculously good team, full of guys who used to play college ball, anchored by a 6'9 270lb. center. We won the game, 92-73, against a decent team who had a guy who played overseas, and a couple of solid players on their squad, all Black except the guy who played overseas (He looked hispanic). We generally play in the top leagues in the Valley, often competing against ex-NBA players like Pooh Richardson, Bryon Russell, Mark Jackson, Mitch Ritchmond, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head right now. We're playing this park league because it's our hometown, and we are really good friends with the guy who runs the league. Our plan is to just play one season, dominate everyone, and then play elsewhere next season.

We're just way too talented. Our team is basically me running the point (I am a Steve Nash type Point Guard, played College ball a couple years back), a 6'1 210 lb. bruiser / shooter at the 2 spot (Excellent Offensive player, good for 20 every game but never plays defense.), and then a 6'6 SF (Amazing Defensive player, at 35 years old still blocks about 6-7 shots per game + 3-4 steals to start our fastbreaks.) Our PF is 6'5 and plays a Ronny Turiaf style (Mainly defense / rebound oriented, but he can fill the lanes and run the floor offensively), and the big man Center is 6'9 270 and a complete BEAST. Our bench has a 1/2 combo guard who is extremely solid (He averaged 22 & 10 as a Junior in High School, but ended up being ineligible for senior year and didn't get any luck with college due to that considering he's only 5'9... but he can dunk with ease and is super athletic.), a 6'6 260 lb. big white guy who has great court vision and decent back to the basket game, and a 6'4 defensive minded player who doesn't do too much on offense but fill lanes an make layups. I had 33 & 10 Assists tonight... this team is super run and gun and the style is perfect for us! We pressure the ball and funnel the other teams towards our shot blockers, clean the glass, and just run run run, Phoenix Suns Style! I just push the ball up and find people constantly, and score whenever there's an opening.

But the highlight of the game was a hilarious play involving our big. With 7 minutes to go in the 2nd half, they started making a little run, so I decided to just blow by my man and go to the rim. The opposing big man helped to me immediately, so I just threw a little shovel pass to our big man, who was standing at the dotted line. They rotated, and a guy ended up coming over to help and he decided that he would wrap up the big man so he just bear hugged him. Unfortunately for him, our big gathered the ball with a power hop and went up STRONG with both hands, taking the defender with him for the ride. The defender was still hanging on for dear life, when the ball slammed through the rim, with the sound like a rocket went off down the defender's throat, the force throwing the defender to the floor. Needless to say, it was an And-1, and everyone in the gym went CRAZY. After the game was over, the referee said "Oh my goodness, he bent the rim! Look at it! We've gotta do something about that!"

The guy who got dunked on walked to halfcourt, and overheard me talking about how our big man is extremely good and should be playing somewhere professionally, and he interjected, saying "Naw, he's too small, he ain't good enough to go anywhere." I just started at him blankly, thinking ... "Really.. 6'9 270 is too small to go anywhere? You would really say that after having that happen to you?" But I never talk on the basketball court and I'm a good natured guy, so I just didn't say anything. XD

At the end of the game, some guy tried to do a highlight reel dunk on our PF when we were up by 20, and our PF stopped him in the air with his body and fouled him trying to block the dunk. The guy started talking crap, saying how he was going to dunk on him and all this junk, and my guy was just joking back like "No, you're not, and we're up by 20, who cares?" and the guy started getting all mad at him for saying that and just kept talking and talking, and didn't shake our hand after the game.

LoL, it's hilarious when people have such a ridiculous sense of pride.

you guys are EFFing big.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #195
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea WTF a 6'4, 3 6'6's and 6'9? Damn if you guys can run I want no part of that lol
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: