Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #346
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

Default Re: pickup/league play Weekly brag (post yours here!)

Busted some old guys ass in a game of 1 on 1. 3 games in a row. He insisted on playing competitively so I let him have it. My step back covers about 5 feet so I had he lost on a few possessions. Even caught him gambling and went in for the dunk. Fun stuff.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #347
ClutchBucketz
I hit open 5-footers

Threw a pretty lazy pass which got intercepted and ignited the break last night.. Decided that i wasn't just gonna watch so i chased the guy down and he was going to lay it in for the right and i came across from the left and swatted it straight outta there. Pretty sure it hit the underside of the backboard on the way out. Was probably the most emphatic chase down block i've ever had, i've got guys onto glass before but usually only tipping it
ClutchBucketz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #348
Rnbizzle
Banned

I went completely on fire last saturday in my game and went 5 for 5 on threes in the 3rd quarter, ended up 7 made threes and 29 points on for the game. Was an amazing feeling to be that hot.
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #349
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Pick-up game to 15. My team was struggling, down 11-9. I buried three straights treys to win the game. The first shot was an assisted set shot off penetration. The second one was off the dribble, pulling up after dribbling between the legs. They started double teaming me so I brought the ball up the floor on the final possession and launched it from deep.
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #350
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

Played some 2 on 2 at the local YMCA against a guy who used to play pro overseas. 6'6 220, long, and crazy handles. I'm 6'2 175 for comparison. I definitely held my own for a while...hitting some nice jumpers and actually handling him down in the post 2-3 times. Overall, we lost by a point or two because the guy kept posting me up and he was just too strong. He literally scored 5-6 times in a row by backing me down. He only did it because his iso game wasn't working and I was quick and long enough to give him trouble when he drove or pulled up for a jumper. Can't wait until the next time I play him...
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #351
Big164
I hit open layups

I now average at least a dunk or 2 per game when playing 2 vs 2. The goal is to do it in a 5 on 5 game by years end.

Any tips out there on how to get open for the slam? And how do you approach it against a defender on a fast break?
Big164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #352
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big164
I now average at least a dunk or 2 per game when playing 2 vs 2. The goal is to do it in a 5 on 5 game by years end.

Any tips out there on how to get open for the slam? And how do you approach it against a defender on a fast break?

If your a guard start leaking out as soon as the opposing team's shot goes up and get the outlet pass.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #353
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

I say, get fast. If you're fast, get faster. Though, I guess it depends on your size. At 6'3'', 99% of my dunks come in transition. It's tough, but I try to lock in on defense. On the wing, I won't hesitate to play passing lanes (though not recklessly).

Without knowing how tall you are and what kind of dunker you may be, if you're guard-sized, I'll say make sure you're dunking off one foot. For years I was drawn to the two-foot slam but every time I was out on a fast break, the necessary gather would always allow opponents to catch up and take me out (or I'd slip trying to set both feet on the run). It wasn't until I decided to re-learn one foot dunking that I was then able to outrun my defenders and rise at full speed.

When there's defense running alongside on a fast break (or just a little bit ahead), one must develop the mindset of a killer. Instead of wondering if they're going to be able to stop me, I attack the rim assuming they won't be able to stop me. To be truthful, no one wants to get dunked on and it's actually kind of hard to block slams, so the attacker is definitely at an advantage.

I must admit, oftentimes, I can tell when a defender has at least a tiny bit of hesitation before contesting my dunk attempt. Sometimes a defender knows what's coming and won't even jump. Other times, it's a battle. I've missed dunks against contesting defenders and I've had dunks blocked. It's all a part of the game.

Recently, I rediscovered my own personal key to dunking in half court settings (off a drive). For me, I must keep my dribble low. For some reason or another, the lowered center of gravity allows for quicker steps alongside sharper and prompt explosion.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 11-23-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #354
Big164
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I say, get fast. If you're fast, get faster. Though, I guess it depends on your size. At 6'3'', 99% of my dunks come in transition. It's tough, but I try to lock in on defense. On the wing, I won't hesitate to play passing lanes (though not recklessly).

I cant thank you enough for your advice in this post! I dunked for the first time ever in a 5 on 5 game and it was the most insane adrenaline rush ever!

It came off transition just like you said... I had about a 3 step head start but was so nervous that I jumped early outside the left hash of the key. It felt like I was suspended in air, waiting for gravity to happen. I made the 2 handed jam easily and its probably the farthest Ive ever dunked.

Quote:
To be truthful, no one wants to get dunked on and a it's actually kind of hard to block slams, so the attacker is definitely at an advantage.
This helped me more than anything else you said. I needed that attackers mentality. That was the ingridient that was missing. Ive been playing this game since 1993, 9 years old and Ive always wanted to do that. I cant thank you enough.
Big164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #355
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I cant thank you enough for your advice in this post! I dunked for the first time ever in a 5 on 5 game and it was the most insane adrenaline rush ever!

It came off transition just like you said... I had about a 3 step head start but was so nervous that I jumped early outside the left hash of the key. It felt like I was suspended in air, waiting for gravity to happen. I made the 2 handed jam easily and its probably the farthest Ive ever dunked.

This helped me more than anything else you said. I needed that attackers mentality. That was the ingridient that was missing. Ive been playing this game since 1993, 9 years old and Ive always wanted to do that. I cant thank you enough.
Good stuff, man. Glad to hear it. Feels great, right?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #356
IGOTGAME
Very good NBA starter

I play ball about 2 or 3 times a week. 1 league game and sometime I hit up open gym once or twice. My league games are fun. But, my open gym games suck. People throwing there body around trying to get fouls and then constantly fouling me on the post.

This is literally what happens. I score a couple easy points down low. then they start to intentionally foul me when I get the ball in on the block. Just repeatedly slapping me on the arm, even sometimes grabbing me BEFORE I make a move. We actually played some of the same guys in a league game and it was funny because I gave em around 25 points. 12 came from the free throw line. All I could do was laugh and say it different with refs huh.

But, back on topic its just annoying. The games turn into a 3 point shootout + bitching over fouls. It is funny because they are try to draw fouls, constantly throwing there body into people. Don't really know how to handle it because my boys aren't able to make the open gyms. All the bitching kinda takes the fun out of it.

I just don't get where people think they can throw there body around and get fouls.
IGOTGAME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #357
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
I play ball about 2 or 3 times a week. 1 league game and sometime I hit up open gym once or twice. My league games are fun. But, my open gym games suck. People throwing there body around trying to get fouls and then constantly fouling me on the post.

This is literally what happens. I score a couple easy points down low. then they start to intentionally foul me when I get the ball in on the block. Just repeatedly slapping me on the arm, even sometimes grabbing me BEFORE I make a move. We actually played some of the same guys in a league game and it was funny because I gave em around 25 points. 12 came from the free throw line. All I could do was laugh and say it different with refs huh.

But, back on topic its just annoying. The games turn into a 3 point shootout + bitching over fouls. It is funny because they are try to draw fouls, constantly throwing there body into people. Don't really know how to handle it because my boys aren't able to make the open gyms. All the bitching kinda takes the fun out of it.

I just don't get where people think they can throw there body around and get fouls.
Open gyms really numbed me to contact. Offensively, I learned I have to attack hard and throw my body around, or else someone else will throw my body around for me. Historically, my style has always translated well to leagues, as it works out to a fair amount of free throws per contest.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:12 AM   #358
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Open gyms really numbed me to contact. Offensively, I learned I have to attack hard and throw my body around, or else someone else will throw my body around for me. Historically, my style has always translated well to leagues, as it works out to a fair amount of free throws per contest.

I feel you. I eat up the slow help defenders down low. So easy to get calls when refs are involved. :)
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #359
ClutchBucketz
I hit open 5-footers

Drained 4 3's in a row tonight.. Crazy good feeling.
ClutchBucketz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #360
Ai2death
Local High School Star

I'm 5'7 jump shooter. And I blocked the other teams massive center, straight back down his throat it was a crazy feeling!
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: