Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
mmsupra
MDOTM

mmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Looking for a JOB

So I was a Asst.Manager at Circuit City and have been outta work for 2 months now. So I posted my resume on Careerbuilder.com yesterday. I was wondering if anyone has ever paid for that additional fee for up to 150 dollars for employers to see your resume and or make it stand out to them.I have been looking and applying everywhere in Tampa/Orlando/Lakeland markets so far no luck. Any suggestions things are starting to really get tight and max unemployment is not cutting it.
mmsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Looking for a JOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsupra
So I was a Asst.Manager at Circuit City and have been outta work for 2 months now. So I posted my resume on Careerbuilder.com yesterday. I was wondering if anyone has ever paid for that additional fee for up to 150 dollars for employers to see your resume and or make it stand out to them.I have been looking and applying everywhere in Tampa/Orlando/Lakeland markets so far no luck. Any suggestions things are starting to really get tight and max unemployment is not cutting it.

craigslist?

the easiest way is to just talk to people, find jobs through people who know people ect. social networking. Thats how i've gotten all of my jobs.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Hey! This is a place for escapism and your trying to ruin it for all of us! Way to go Captain Buzzkill!

On a more serious note though, indeed things may get tight but persevere buddy. I suggest you look more towards mom/pop establishment or local owned buisness places before going for a large faceless company because instead of hearing "sorry, not hiring right now" you can actually reason with sombody you can make a personal impression on.

Large places of buisness are either hiring exactly who they want out of a large crowd or they are on a freeze while mom and pop store owners are more easily able to allow a few extra (think 20-) hours a week to a trusted neighbor/community member. Thats how I picked my old job back up a few weeks ago, and while I wasnt working alot of hours, I still got a steady cashflow.

Best of Luck!
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

I wouldn't pay jack **** to make your resume appear better to prospective employers. Bottom line, you have to apply at a bunch of different places and call people up or email them directly. Tell them I'm looking for work, period.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Sriracha
Clubbing baby seal

Sriracha has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsupra

Nah dude, don't pay them. Good luck on your job search though.
Sriracha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Couldn't you parlay that into another nutrition store?
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's all about networking. Online Job searches are a joke.

Write down some places where you want to work, and are qualified for... then go get a job. Don't take no for an answer.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
I wouldn't pay jack **** to make your resume appear better to prospective employers. Bottom line, you have to apply at a bunch of different places and call people up or email them directly. Tell them I'm looking for work, period.

i agree. there's too many other options to settle for paying someone else to just show your resume. send out resumes and keep calling back to check on the status of them. good luck as i'm unemployed also.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #9
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

male jiggalo.. if u sexy enuff that is.

jk..
id say be a bit more proactive and scope out actual places in real life, if u havent already. especially if you know of a place that is hiring, definitely hop by and drop your resume off in person. its a bonus if a manager is around and sees you do it, and who knows maybe even have a quick talk/hand shake. shows a greater level of interest/willingness if you do something like this rather than jus chill on the interweb and wait around for offers.

assistant manager in a retail environment should be good enough credential for you to get a job somewhere. if u want another job in a retail place it seems very likely you get hired, since u'd have dealt with multiple types of customer service situations/experiences.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #10
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

you don't want to be an assistant manager anywhere. you likely have some talent; music, fine art, film/theater, carpentry, making clothes, whatever. focus on your craft for a while and if it doesn't work out you can go back to hourly living.

watch this, it's 2 minutes long. listen closely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2MmqbAaoZA
Lamar Doom is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: