Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
hateraid
Is it in you?

Default FDA Warning on Hydroxycut

I just got off a conference call with my company and it looks like FDA has put out a warning on a product called Hydroxycut. This is your typical run of the mill fat burner. Iovate Health Sciences who is the maker of this product has agreed to do a recall of all hydroxycut products including Hydroxycut, Hydroxycut Hardcore, Hydroxycut Max, and HC Green Tea.

According to FDA, this product causes liver damage, heart failure, and other health issues.

This reminds me of 2001 when all diet products with ephedrine were pulled off the market. This is big for my industry because the way it looks all diet products are gonna be pulled. This is the equivelant of banning eggs from a grocery store. It's 17% of our business. That $3200 just became really handy!
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Default Re: FDA Warning on Hydroxycut

No surprise. The FDA is all about money, not the best interest of the public. They frequently approve products without adequate testing.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
No surprise. The FDA is all about money, not the best interest of the public. They frequently approve products without adequate testing.

They really don't even check products. They wait until people are being written off for them to come in and flex their muscles. There's so many products out there on a technical standpoint that are not good for you. It's up to us to be informative and warn people of side effects. Problem is these are vanity products so people don't care and people will abuse. But FDA is so loose, they should be going after the pharmecutical industry before us.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
aycaramba
I airball my layups

Phuck hydroxycut to lose weight. All you need is ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin (optional) .
aycaramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Big One
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by aycaramba
Phuck hydroxycut to lose weight. All you need is ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin (optional) .

yea ECA stacks are good if you use them within reason and not overboard thought....

im plannin on taking it soon to get cut up, would you recommended it haterraid?

also it is illeagal to use now though right?
Big One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Kute

Can you still buy ephedrine?
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

i used this for like, 2 weeks and i had pretty bad anxiety problems for a while, as well as hyperventilated a lot.
emsteez forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsteez forreal
i used this for like, 2 weeks and i had pretty bad anxiety problems for a while, as well as hyperventilated a lot.
Me too, I had that exact same problem when I started taking it. In addition to that, a frequent rapid heartbeat and I started to have a hard time sleeping. That's why i eventually just decided to discontinue taking them and threw out the rest.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
embersyc
Lurker

Quote:

Hydroxycut falls under the Dietary Supplement category. None of those things are even evaluated by the FDA whatsoever.

Of course the FDA can't really test the longterm effects of any drug without adding 50+ years to the time it takes it to get to market.

Anyway even Ephedrine is back on the market now, perhaps not as abundantly as before, but you can get it, and that's because its only really harmful if taken in large quantities.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
PistolPete
The Pistol

Heh and I just took 2 of these about 30 mins ago. I've been taking Hydro for about 3 years now with no significant side effects. Maybe some blurry vision from time to time, but I'm also getting old. Do you have link to this, brosh?

I only take it when I work out to boost my energy. I just got done doing dips, push-ups and some sit-ups.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Heh and I just took 2 of these about 30 mins ago. I've been taking Hydro for about 3 years now with no significant side effects. Maybe some blurry vision from time to time, but I'm also getting old. Do you have link to this, brosh?

I only take it when I work out to boost my energy. I just got done doing dips, push-ups and some sit-ups.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/01...ut.fda.recall/
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
PistolPete
The Pistol

Good enough for me. I'm done with it.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
Sriracha
Clubbing baby seal

Quote:

The FDA is actually doing its job very well making sure that a drug is safe before it is release. Its just that Hydroxycrap is a supplement, not a drug therefore FDA authority over it is limited. Supplement does not go under the scrutiny that drugs do.

Its a shame because if Hydroxycrap was to be sold as a drug, it would have to go through pre-clinical testing, three phases of human testing, then FDA reviews the data that the manufacturer provide and makes the final decision. The process takes more than 20 years!!!! Can you imagine that? The "new" prescription drugs that you are using now was actually discovered 15-20 years ago. In this case, Hydroxycrap would have been discontinued during the pre-clinical phase.
Sriracha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #14
jaydacris
BTE One Hit Wonder

interesting, just heard about it on tv as well
apparently there was one death too

its gotta be thru non recommended dosage imo. cuz ive taken non-stim/stim/thermogenic fat burners.. following regular dosage dont do **** for me heh

its pretty crazy tho, hydroxycut is pretty fukin huge...
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #15
reppy
Apparently likes anime

What, you thought you could cheat with no consequences? Anyone ever watch that documentary "Bigger, Faster, Stronger" about steroids and performance enhancing drugs? The "nutrition" industry is shady as ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vxrTMYXpZo

Last edited by reppy : 05-02-2009 at 04:02 AM.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: