Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

Default Our First Off-Season Signing

Quote:
The Pistons decided this week to bring back a player who provided some of the season's few bright spots. On the day president Joe Dumars talked about his plans to rebuild the team into contenders, the team picked up the option of backup point guard Will Bynum on Wednesday.Detroit Free Press

This was a smart move obviously. For only $800,000 we aren't going to get a better 3rd PG. I don't really think he is a #2 and he's definately not a starter yet, but he is a very good spark off the bench who can finish well at the basket. He will never be the type to lead a team to a championship. Being only 5'10" makes it hard for him to match up defensively much like Iverson. He is also a little turn over prone. Nonetheless, he did play pretty good at the end of the season and I'm glad to have him back.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Geandily
Local High School Star

Default Re: Our First Off-Season Signing

I like Bynum, good signing! I didn't realize he was that short though, wow!
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
A. Blackmon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
This was a smart move obviously. For only $800,000 we aren't going to get a better 3rd PG. I don't really think he is a #2 and he's definately not a starter yet, but he is a very good spark off the bench who can finish well at the basket. He will never be the type to lead a team to a championship. Being only 5'10" makes it hard for him to match up defensively much like Iverson. He is also a little turn over prone. Nonetheless, he did play pretty good at the end of the season and I'm glad to have him back.

Will Bynum is definitely back-up point guard but not a #3.

He's not a defensively liability at the point guard position. If anything he is an asset. His quickness and strength make if difficult for defenders to get around him.

He reminds me of a combination of Mike James and Lindsey Hunter from 2004.

He is just a shorter version of Stuckey, if he could become a consistent jump shooter, and I was the coach, I would consider starting him over Stuckey
A. Blackmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Blackmon
Will Bynum is definitely back-up point guard but not a #3.

He's not a defensively liability at the point guard position. If anything he is an asset. His quickness and strength make if difficult for defenders to get around him.

He reminds me of a combination of Mike James and Lindsey Hunter from 2004.

He is just a shorter version of Stuckey, if he could become a consistent jump shooter, and I was the coach, I would consider starting him over Stuckey

If I'm a gaurd that is 6'3" to 6'5" with some meat on my bones why would I not take advantage of that and use it against a guy who is 5'10"? He's basically AI without the attitude. He is most certainly a liability defensively, especially when gaurds have to switch on screens and he's on someone who is bigger than that. I'm not saying I don't like the guy. I can appreciate someone who is small that is a freak of nature athlete. Nonetheless he still has his limitations that will make him a 3rd string type gaurd against different teams and a 2nd stringer in other situations. He is definitely not a starter though. There is no way that guy leads a team to a championship as a starting PG. If he's our starting PG we can be sure it's going to be an even harder season for us next year.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

On a seperate note, since we already have Bynum why would we want another under sized gaurd in Gordon???? I hate having to even read about it. A small PG is one thing, a small SG is an entirely different story. Hopefully he is not our 2nd off-season signing. That would be a complete waste of money. We are solid at SG with Hamilton (who is better) and we have Afflalo to back him up. That's fine. They need to focus on big men first. There are plenty of tiny gaurds in the draft if they really want one.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
A. Blackmon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
If I'm a gaurd that is 6'3" to 6'5" with some meat on my bones why would I not take advantage of that and use it against a guy who is 5'10"? He's basically AI without the attitude. He is most certainly a liability defensively, especially when gaurds have to switch on screens and he's on someone who is bigger than that. I'm not saying I don't like the guy. I can appreciate someone who is small that is a freak of nature athlete. Nonetheless he still has his limitations that will make him a 3rd string type gaurd against different teams and a 2nd stringer in other situations. He is definitely not a starter though. There is no way that guy leads a team to a championship as a starting PG. If he's our starting PG we can be sure it's going to be an even harder season for us next year.

According to NBA.com:

Will Bynum 6-0, 185 lbs.

T. J. Ford 6-0, 165
Jamaal Tinsley 6-3, 185
Luke Ridnour 6-2, 175
Rajon Rondo 6-1, 171
Devin Harris 6-3, 185
Chris Duhon 6-1, 185
Nate Robinson
Lou Williams 6-2, 175
D. J. Augustin 6-0, 180
Luther Head 6-3, 185
Jameer Nelson 6-0, 190
Rafer Alston 6-2 175
Jose Barea 6-0, 175
Aaron Brooks 6-0, 161
Mike Conley 6-1, 180
Chris Paul 6-0, 175
Tony Parker 6-2, 180
Sebastian Telfair 6-0, 175
Sergio Rodriguez 6-3, 176
Steve Blake 6-3, 172
Monta Ellis 6-3, 180
Jordan Farmar 6-2, 180
Steve Nash 6-3, 178

These are all point guards who are either starters or have a starter potential. Will Bynum is just as tall or as big as any of these players. Also other than maybe Jameer Nelson he is probably the strongest of them all.

It's about game not height. Do you remember Ben Wallace?

With an improved jumper Bynum is a solid backup on good teams and good starter on a bad team.

2008-2009 NBA season Bynum>Stuckey
Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

He's a good player who can provide a good spark off the bench and somehow Detroit develops another PG
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
la bomba
Local High School Star

saw him play for maccabi. not a fan. mind you the NBA might suit him better.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
A. Blackmon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
saw him play for maccabi. not a fan. mind you the NBA might suit him better.

?

How could a player be better in a more competitive league?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Easy - different rules. International rules are different from NBA rules. It's more important to have a PG who can be a good spot up shooter and distributor in the international game. Bynum could very well be a more valuable player in the NBA than for a Euroleague team for that very reason. Same with Josh Childress, who was better for the Hawks than he has been for Olympiacos.
SixersFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
dd24
College superstar

Plus if you are just looking at numbers there are less minutes in a game overseas so the numbers are lower because the players are getting less PT.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: