Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 10-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation
Default Blue and White Scrimmage at UNT

Billie the tree attended the scrimmage Friday and wrote the following recap. Enjoy.

Quote:
Just got back from the scrimmage, good times were had by all. Here's just some quick observations:

-Right off the bat 2 things were established. One is that Anthony Johnson is a very pesky defender, as he got an early steal from Josh Howard and took it all the way back for an easy dunk. And two, Devin still can't shoot. He missed two early, open shots from inside the 3 point line. Good news is he is still as quick as ever.

-Most of the new guys seemed to fit right in on the team. I really like Deaven Georges game. He started out guarding Dirk, and he did quite a good job for the limited time he had on him. Knocked down a 3, and generally kept the offense moving. Bucker did a really good job playing defense, and hit a few shots. AJ also did well not only on D, but scoring in the limited amount of time he had.

-It really worries me to see Stack getting very limited time, and when he's not playing to have to huge bags of ice on his knees.

-Ebi is good at nothing. Even during layup drills, he spent the whole time shooting jumpers, and I don't think I saw him hit one.

-It's obvious that Avery is making good on his promise to get the big men more involved in the offense. Throughout the game you saw all Damp, Diop, and DJ getting the ball much more, usually just inside the elbow or at the free throw line. It looks like they are going to use them much like San Antonio typically uses their centers. Getting them short jumpers in the lane or just outside to keep the defense honest. It was very effective for both teams, except DJ who couldn't seem to find his shot.

-Pops was MIA, where did he go? Croshere was there, but did not play. To bad.

-Pat Carrol has a really sweet jumper, too bad we have no room for him. Also, Jose Barea is quick as a whip, and he has a shot too. He won't ever come close to sniffing the roster.

-Ager definitely lived up to the hype as he sure can shoot. Now whether he can finish at the rim or not is another question. He blew atleast 2 layups, though they were contested.

Pops has a respiratory virus and is being kept away from the team in case he is contagious. Croshere was held out due to minor back problems.

I like what I'm seeing so far about Anthony Johnson. The paper had an article about him saying pretty much the same.

Not too thrilled about Devin's shooting still being off. But it's the first scrimmage, hopefully not a sign of things to come.

I really like Ager and am looking forward to seeing what he can do in preseason. But I have a feeling he will be in d-league off and on this year.

Not too worried about Stack. I don't mind him getting limited action right now and taking care of himself. He'll be there when it's time.

If they are going to have the centers taking 10 footers it favors DJ. He seems to be the only one who might hit that shot consistantly. Unless Diop worked on it over the summer. I just don't see Damp hitting it with any regularity.

Last edited by Silent Mav : 10-07-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Good job page. How's UNT? BTW silent where did u get that?
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
billie the tree
Can barely lace up my sneakers

billie the tree has no real reputation yet.

I think a lot of people are underrating Diop's jumper. He honestly has the skill, all he needs is some confidence in himself, and that comes from getting plays run for you. His jumper is actually much better than even DJ's, he just won't use it.
billie the tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

You could tell from his free throws that he has a good form and seemed comfortable shooting. Make you wonder if it was confidence or coach's orders not to shoot it last year.

Don't forget his 3-pointer in the final regular season game to keep the streak going!! He was 1 for 2, 50% baby!!

Last edited by Silent Mav : 10-07-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
BullsBigMan29
I hit open 5-footers

BullsBigMan29 has an OK reputation so far

I'm going to tell you guys

Pops Mensah Bonsu will be a monster for your team when he gets healthy

You got a steal in the draft.
BullsBigMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

We actually signed him as a free agent. I wish he would get healthy and get on the court. He did some good things in the summer league. I was looking forward to see what he could do. Some people think he's going to do a lot of d-league time this year.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: