Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
crounsa810
National High School Star

crounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Math Help

I have a test tomorrow on Logarithmic & Exponential Functions.

I have no clue what the hell is going on. I've studied like crazy, tried to do the problems, and everything.

I don't get it. I'm confused as all hell.

The chapter contains these sections (in this order):

Combining Functions
Inverse Functions and their Representations
Exponential Functions and Models
Logarithmic Functions and Models
Properties of Logarithms
Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
Constructing Nonlinear Models

Can anyone help me? I want to do well on the test. I want an A. But I just don't know how to do it. I asked the professor for help, but he was never able to set up a time. He never actually taught it, he just gives us group work and expects us to get it that way. I don't. I'm confused. I need help.

Rep will be given.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Math Help

GIve us some f*cking problems so you can rep us and gives our useless lives some purpose.

Okay so basically you want to get the logarithmic propertiez memorized.

Straightforward sh!t more or less look at the position of the thang.

Can you give me specifics as to waht u r confused at?
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

I don't get it, just read the examples and do some exercises. I NEVER ever ever listened to the teachers or took notes. Just f*cked around in class and studied the whole chapter a day or two before and got either a B+ or an A. Listening to teachers = overrated. Especially when you consider that the book is smarter than them.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

On a sidenote, I've got a Multivariable Calculus Exam tomorrow and right now I'm hovering at an 80 average. I have to throw down an A- at least, and I've been dozing off in class. If someone can help me out with Line Integrals, Green's Theorem, Stoke's Theorem. I'll be grateful. I'll f*ckin do good for the human race.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Can you be a more specific? Give an exact problem you dont understand.

or are you asking for someone to teach you an entire chapter of a calculus book over a message board?
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
crounsa810

crounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
I don't get it, just read the examples and do some exercises. I NEVER ever ever listened to the teachers or took notes. Just f*cked around in class and studied the whole chapter a day or two before and got either a B+ or an A. Listening to teachers = overrated. Especially when you consider that the book is smarter than them.
My professor wrote the book....
Which explains why reading it does not help me at all.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
crounsa810

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
Can you be a more specific? Give an exact problem you dont understand.

or are you asking for someone to teach you an entire chapter of a calculus book over a message board?
OK.

From the combining functions section:

Exericises 13-36-Use f(x) and g(x) to find each expression symbolically. Identify its domain.
a)(f+g)(x)
b)(f-g)(x)
c)(fg)(x)
d)(f/g)(x)

13. f(x)=2x g(x)=x2

15. f(x)=x2-1 g(x)=x2+1

(The 2's after the X's are supposed to be x squared. Can't figure out how to get that in here)
Old 05-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Mikaiel
Shoot it Boobie !!!

Mikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crounsa810
OK.

From the combining functions section:

Exericises 13-36-Use f(x) and g(x) to find each expression symbolically. Identify its domain.
a)(f+g)(x)
b)(f-g)(x)
c)(fg)(x)
d)(f/g)(x)

13. f(x)=2x g(x)=x2

15. f(x)=x2-1 g(x)=x2+1

(The 2's after the X's are supposed to be x squared. Can't figure out how to get that in here)

??? Are you sure there's no g o f (x) or something like this ? That's what combining functions is about. When you have f (g(x)). There you just add functions.

(f+g) (x) = f(x) + g(x)
(f-g) (x) = f(x) - g(x)

etc ...
Mikaiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
crounsa810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaiel
??? Are you sure there's no g o f (x) or something like this ? That's what combining functions is about. When you have f (g(x)). There you just add functions.

(f+g) (x) = f(x) + g(x)
(f-g) (x) = f(x) - g(x)

etc ...
What I wrote is exactly what is written in the book. Like I said, my professor is a complete idiot. I believe it is supposed to be a g o f(x) or f o g(x) type of thing.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

13a) 2x + x^2 Domain: All values. Range will be only positive.
13b) 2x - x^2 Domain: All values Range will be negative
13c) 2x^3 Domain: All values (can be both negative or postive)
13d) 2x/x^2 Domain: All values except for 0, Range can be any number.

15a) 2x^2 All values, range wil be positive.
15b) -2? Nothing's possible
15c) 2x^2 - 1 All values, range will be > 1
15d) x^2 - 1/x^2 + 1 All values?

I'm confused... phuck I think something's missing or I'm braindead. prob the latter.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crounsa810
What I wrote is exactly what is written in the book. Like I said, my professor is a complete idiot. I believe it is supposed to be a g o f(x) or f o g(x) type of thing.

well the question you asked me sounds like it came out of the first section of a chapter on combining functions, so I am guessing you are starting at the beginning with this stuff. Dont call your professor an idiot, these are legitimate basic pre-calc questions. First you need to understand basic combinations of functions (f + g) (x), after that you talk about compositions of functions (f o g)(x)

To perform basic combinations of functions, you do exactly what Mikael and J$ said.

for example (f + g) (x) would be
x^2 + 2x for #13.
2x^2 for #15
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
spree43
High School Varsity 12th Man

spree43 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
On a sidenote, I've got a Multivariable Calculus Exam tomorrow and right now I'm hovering at an 80 average. I have to throw down an A- at least, and I've been dozing off in class. If someone can help me out with Line Integrals, Green's Theorem, Stoke's Theorem. I'll be grateful. I'll f*ckin do good for the human race.
I did all this stuff last smester, but can't really remember it, I know theres a simple trick to Green's Theorem and could figure that out if you really need help
spree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY

You got any friends you can talk too about the test?
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
canadianballer
Banned

canadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i would cry if i had to do this
canadianballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
You got any friends you can talk too about the test?

Tomorrow morning, I can. But ISH mathematical minds come first.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: