Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default PETA and Vick

Quote:

An animal-rights group said Friday it has no plans to do public-service advertisements with Michael Vick after the disgraced quarterback is released from prison.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said it withdrew any offer about doing the ads after a U.S. Department of Agriculture report on Vick’s dogfighting operation found “he enjoyed placing family pets in the ring with fighting pit bulls and that he laughed as dogs ripped each other apart,” according to Dan Shannon, the group’s assistant director of youth outreach and campaigns.

Shannon issued a statement late Friday in response to an Advertising Age report that Vick was set to do public service ads for PETA after he is released from federal prison. The one-time Atlanta Falcons star is scheduled to begin home confinement this month, having served the bulk of a nearly two-year sentence for financing and participating in a major dogfighting ring.

Advertising Age quoted three people with knowledge of talks as saying the proposed endorsement would be part of a comprehensive public-relations plan aimed at rehabilitating Vick’s image and helping him get him back into the NFL. He was suspended indefinitely after admitting his involvement in dogfighting, and commissioner Roger Goodell has said he won’t consider the quarterback’s reinstatement until he completes his sentence.

The 28-year-old Vick revealed in his bankruptcy case that he hopes to rejoin the NFL and believes he could play another 10 to 12 seasons. He was once the league’s highest-paid player, signing a 10-year, $140 million contract with Atlanta, but the Falcons have said they don’t want him back.

PETA had been talks with Vick’s representatives about doing the ads until receiving the USDA report, which led the group to call on Vick to undergo a brain scan to determine if he suffers from anti-social personality disorder.

“In December, after consulting with psychiatrists, PETA withdrew the offer for the TV spot,” Shannon said in his statement. “In January, we called on NFL commissioner Goodell to require that Vick undergo a brain scan and full psychological evaluation before any decisions were made about the future of his football career.”

Who the hell is PETA? Like really. Wow.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: PETA and Vick

You don't know who PETA is?
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

PETA is a group of real life trolls. They will do anything for attention, twist facts and boost anything to spin things their way. I'm pretty sure there was an article posted once where they wanted to boycott milk because the cow's tits were getting sore from the machine's or some bullshit like that
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

this vid best sums up what peta is

penn and teller bullsh!t watch it you'll like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0exLa6saV9o
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
canadianballer
Banned

canadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid

nah thats gobb using being black as an excuse again to try to be too cool to know something
canadianballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

And you asked boozehound to explain what he meant by you. While you make statements like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid

I know who PETA is. You read the article? Thats why i was askin who the hell is PETA given what they were demanding. Like they are of some higher authority.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
And you asked boozehound to explain what he meant by you. While you make statements like that.

I know who PETA is. You read the article? Thats why i was askin who the hell is PETA given what they were demanding. Like they are of some higher authority.
lol ok to be fair, I didn't read much of the article because I'd already heard about it before. I just thought you didn't know.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

I' m from the ATL and I'm still a Vick fan. Its amazing how they keep knocking this man down. The man is about to complete his jail time and he has lost all his money but yet they talking about he really needs to show some remorse. I don't commend what he did to those pitbulls but at the same time Donte Stallworth was driving drunk and killed a man and they haven't hyped that up. Pacman got back in the NFL and he was back to the same **** fighting with his bodyguard and going to rehab and then he gets cut from the Cowboys. Ray Lewis almost went to jail for a murder back in 2000 but he got back to playing football. It like now people value animals life more than human life. Its wrong to kill all living creatures but come the man has done his ****ing time. Let the man play football again.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
Sriracha
Clubbing baby seal

Sriracha has decent reputation

People should let Mike Vick move on.
Sriracha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
I' m from the ATL and I'm still a Vick fan. Its amazing how they keep knocking this man down. The man is about to complete his jail time and he has lost all his money but yet they talking about he really needs to show some remorse. I don't commend what he did to those pitbulls but at the same time Donte Stallworth was driving drunk and killed a man and they haven't hyped that up. Pacman got back in the NFL and he was back to the same **** fighting with his bodyguard and going to rehab and then he gets cut from the Cowboys. Ray Lewis almost went to jail for a murder back in 2000 but he got back to playing football. It like now people value animals life more than human life. Its wrong to kill all living creatures but come the man has done his ****ing time. Let the man play football again.

But people don't hit people with their cars for sport or for profit. We don't hang athletes when they are no longer capable of performing do we? Animals are defenseless against the wretched being of man. The outrage and vitriolic hatred for this man is justified.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
Sriracha
Clubbing baby seal

Sriracha has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
But people don't hit people with their cars for sport or for profit. We don't hang athletes when they are no longer capable of performing do we? Animals are defenseless against the wretched being of man. The outrage and vitriolic hatred for this man is justified.

What else do you want Mike Vick to do? He has done the time that was required of him. Hate him all you want, but he just want to get back to work and people are fucking with him.
Sriracha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriracha
What else do you want Mike Vick to do? He has done the time that was required of him. Hate him all you want, but he just want to get back to work and people are fucking with him.

I don't want Mike to do anything. I'm not a fan of his but I'm not singling him out either. Just saying that for groups like PETA, and the people that agree with them, Vick will always be a marked man and rightfully so in their eyes.

Personally, I don't care about Vick, but I'm not going to give him a pass either, not just yet at least.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriracha

Thank U!
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #14
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianballer
nah thats gobb using being black as an excuse again to try to be too cool to know something

I don't get it man does making fun of people for no reason make your self esteem go up?
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #15
KAMALA
Banned

KAMALA has an OK reputation so far

I've always disliked Michael Vick, and feel no sympathy or sadness when I hear or read about the crumbling of his empire, however my disdain for PETA far surpasses any feelings I harbor towards Vick, and as a general principle i think the reaction to the dogfighting incident has been comletely overblown by the predictable section of American crybabies.

I think too many people just want an opportunity to speak up and act like they stand for something. "This man is a monster, what he did to those dogs is unforgiveable! This is a tragedy!"

People like that just want to be seen being indignant. The type who want to be seen as political, intellectual, moral authority types but really actually couldnt articulate or compose a respectable argument if ben franklin himself outlined one for them. we see many of these types here on ISH.

i think the judge who dished out this sentence should be seriously put under a microscope. U.S. tax dollars actually had to pay to incarcerate a man for almost two years who was absolutely no threat to society. HUMAN society that is, i.e. the one i care about. the guy was filthy rich and could have easily paid fines and done community service/awareness. instead a judge incarcerated him for two years for dogfighting. i personally think that judge should lose his position. thats just me.
KAMALA is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: