Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #31
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: You choose the subject, I'll share my thoughts: Hiphop edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot

9th wonder's Crooklyn Dodgers: Jean Grae, Mos Def and Memphis Bleek.

My choices: Mos Def, AZ, GZA. I'd like to add Teflon too.

They usually dont feature high profile rappers.

Bleek got off on that track...but he, along with most from Roc-A-Fella, are wack. Mos Def,AZ,and the GZA? That's a combination of pure fire....

I got a question though. Do you think Hip Hop is dead? I had a convo the other day and said the game had just changed....but was far from dead. Dues don't have to be payed, lyrics don't really matter, swag is in, and like you said, rap is everywhere you look. I know the question is re-run but I had to ask.

Also, your opinion on 50, No Limit, and Jay-Z self appointing himself GOAT.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #32
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

By the way, about Emineim: I loved the Crack a Bottle track. Hate the one after that. Also loved the Many Men track and his work with Outsidaz.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #33
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejumpa
Bleek got off on that track...but he, along with most from Roc-A-Fella, are wack. Mos Def,AZ,and the GZA? That's a combination of pure fire....

I got a question though. Do you think Hip Hop is dead? I had a convo the other day and said the game had just changed....but was far from dead. Dues don't have to be payed, lyrics don't really matter, swag is in, and like you said, rap is everywhere you look. I know the question is re-run but I had to ask.

Also, your opinion on 50, No Limit, and Jay-Z self appointing himself GOAT.

How can hiphop be dead when it is selling millions of cds worldwide? When theres venues all over the world filled with people coming to enjoy the music? When everybody is 'doing' it. It might be not as pure or at such a high level in general anymore, but it surely isnt dead. It's just a lot different. Leave it to a moron like KRS One, with all due repesct, to cry about hiphop being dead. He just hasnt realized his career as a relevant active rapper is over.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #34
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

50: He can rhyme but became lazy. He also needs to do what he wants but I'm not interested in all his short internet videos, cartoons and dressing up as whoever. Just make some more good music. And all the beefs dont really get me going either.

No Limit: never likeed their music, always had huge repect for what P did. From hustling in the bay to building the biggest empire in the late 90s. He did it the hiphop way and he set trends. He lived the dream and I can only respect that.

Jay-Z: Most influential and steady rapper over the last decade+. 13 years of dominance maybe. The guy did it. Became CEO of the most impotant label, ****s a r&B *****. Thats the life. He might be the GOAT now. His career has been longer thasn most. He outdid Biggie by the time he dropped his 3rd album. Biggie only dropped one classic while alive and Life after.. shoudlve been a single cd. I think he could claim the GOAT title. Or JayZ. JayZ probably had even moreinfluence and might just pop back onto the scene with another single. He's done it before. I'm not sure if there's one GOAT.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #35
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Favorite Ace record: Me & the Biz.

Or the Crooklyn Dodgers track. That's one of my all time favorites.
So is Take a Look Around your fav then? That's actually the only one I have yet to hear.

On a similar note, thoughts on The Show?
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #36
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
How can hiphop be dead when it is selling millions of cds worldwide? When theres venues all over the world filled with people coming to enjoy the music? When everybody is 'doing' it. It might be not as pure or at such a high level in general anymore, but it surely isnt dead. It's just a lot different. Leave it to a moron like KRS One, with all due repesct, to cry about hiphop being dead. He just hasnt realized his career as a relevant active rapper is over.

I somewhat disagree.

I see both sides of the argument.

But I think when purists (myself included) say that hip hop is dead, we mean the skill aspect and appreciation for the culture in general.

I know, that there's the underground. But the underground in any art is always gonna hold the artistic integrity.

I'm referring to the mainstream.

Lyricism took a backseat to like you mentioned "swagga" and image.

I understand that we always had image driven artists, but for the most part most rappers were still quality rappers with lyrics being their primary goal.

Rappers have also become "punchline" rappers more than anything. Which isn't necessarily bad, until you notice that there's nothing else in between. They just aim at having the wittiest punchline and not a well rounded song.

And of course all of this can be attributed to album sales.

I wish hip hop never became mainstream and so successful.

But then again.... that's just my greedy punk rock mentality that's talking.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #37
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
So is Take a Look Around your fav then? That's actually the only one I have yet to hear.

On a similar note, thoughts on The Show?

I loved that album. It was later re:released as his greatest hits. Pretty funy since it was his only album.

I love all his albums, although his latest one was more of the same he did with the one before. He's a great rapper who reinvented himself.

I have to admit that I've never seen the Show! I'm going to search for a torrent right away. Thank you for reminding me of this one. I always loved the soundtrack. It had everything on it. East to West.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #38
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I somewhat disagree.

And of course all of this can be attributed to album sales.

I wish hip hop never became mainstream and so successful.

But then again.... that's just my greedy punk rock mentality that's talking.

I feel you but....

Hip Hop becoming mainstream and successful is what's going to keep the art going. At least the wack **** is generating money so labels can stay afloat and different avenues can be worked and reinvested into....the underground and mainstream both use the same tools...the internet,iTunes,mixtapes,etc....if anything the slump in sales has helped hip hop realize truly what reality is. years ago wack **** was going platinum and multi platinum and nobody ever said it was dead....the music is the same as the wack **** then, but with more wack **** because it's easy to get into the game. I think things will change for the better soon though..
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #39
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better

Fringe classic or certified classic?
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #40
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
But I think when purists (myself included) say that hip hop is dead, we mean the skill aspect and appreciation for the culture in general.

It's funny because even 'purist' artists get more chances and sell waaaaaaay more cds and get more chances to travel all over the world to perform. That's no way something which indicates anything whihc is dead.

Purists are funny that way since they only care about their own vision. Like I said, hiphop has become broader. Matter of fact back in the 80's there wernt much things a purist would like. 90% of the tracks was about partying, money, cars and even a color tv so they could see the knicks play basketball. And now all of a sudden it's wrong, all the while there's even more 'purist' music coming out than there was back then.

You had Just Ice, Nice & Smooth, Biz etc who couldnt rhyme a lick and still got a lot of credit. It's the beauty of hiphop: there's something for everyone.

[quote]Rappers have also become "punchline" rappers more than anything. Which isn't necessarily bad, until you notice that there's nothing else in between. They just aim at having the wittiest punchline and not a well rounded song.[/quot]

100% agreed. Some lyrics contain more "like a" references than actual lyrics.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #41
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better

Fringe classic or certified classic?

Hard one~! Normally I'd say a certified classic is an album most people know and will be in most collections, but the DOC is missing a lot. It's maybe like Masta Ace's S;aughtahouse. People who are a bit deeper into hiphop will know its a classic but most regular listeners won't even know it. Fringe it is.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #42
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

your thoughts on Digable Planets, Bush Babees, and Jungle Brothers?

what about the beatnuts? alkaholiks?

what were the first hip hop tapes (you're 27, i'm assuming it was tape) you remember getting?

Mine were Tone Loc (I love that you brought him up) Loc'ed After Dark, Fat Boys "Crushin", DJ Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince "He's the Dj...", NWA "Straight outta compton". basically i got into it in 88, i was born in 78, so that's a pretty early start for a white boy from iowa. there's that "top 10 mcs" list a few threads down and someone was complaining that Rakim wasn't on everybody's list, honestly i feel fraudulant sometimes representing people that i wasn't "around" for when they came out. obviously Eric B/Rakim had a couple albums after 88 but i just never felt super connected to them. Do you have any of this or do you accept "older stuff" as your own?

Rank and explain your rankings for these three "similar" duos:

Eric B and Rakim
Pete Rock and CL Smooth
Nice and Smooth (hahah, these guys were great)
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #43
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

[quote=loot]It's funny because even 'purist' artists get more chances and sell waaaaaaay more cds and get more chances to travel all over the world to perform. That's no way something which indicates anything whihc is dead.

Purists are funny that way since they only care about their own vision. Like I said, hiphop has become broader. Matter of fact back in the 80's there wernt much things a purist would like. 90% of the tracks was about partying, money, cars and even a color tv so they could see the knicks play basketball. And now all of a sudden it's wrong, all the while there's even more 'purist' music coming out than there was back then.

You had Just Ice, Nice & Smooth, Biz etc who couldnt rhyme a lick and still got a lot of credit. It's the beauty of hiphop: there's something for everyone.

Quote:
Rappers have also become "punchline" rappers more than anything. Which isn't necessarily bad, until you notice that there's nothing else in between. They just aim at having the wittiest punchline and not a well rounded song.[/quot]

100% agreed. Some lyrics contain more "like a" references than actual lyrics.

I'm not referring to "content" which is a huge difference. I understand that hip hop was originally a "party" driven genre. I know that hip hop also had wack subject matter and whatnot. But they were mainly aiming at being the best rappers. That's why battles started and they kept upping the ante.

That's been replaced by who has the most record sales and not who the best rapper (mcee) is.

A dope rapper is a dope rapper regardless of topic. I don't care if they talk about hustling, MLK or fingering a ***** at a club, as long as its dope. Dopeness imo is should come before anything else.

I agree that record sales has allowed some of the underground or dope artists to sell more, but that's nothing compared to an entire generation watering down their lyrics and an audience that has lowered their standards so much.

Soulja Boy isn't just for the teeny boppers. There's grown men that think he's dope.

No diss to Southern rappers, but there's beats made in the early 80s that are superior to those they make, some have worse rhyme schemes and flows than those by the Fat Boys.

Today's avg fan doesn't know what the elements are. Doesn't know who Rakim is, doesn't know who Grandmaster Flash or even Preemo are!!!!

Today's avg fan is too far removed from alot of it, and sadly DOESN'T CARE.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #44
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
your thoughts on Digable Planets, Bush Babees, and Jungle Brothers? what about the beatnuts? alkaholiks?
Digable Planets took me 10 years to fully appreciate. Good hiphop (blowout comb is very nice) but never really my favorites.
Bush Babees were great. Gravity is very underrated. Mos Def appeared on it too.
Jungle bros: not my cup of tea. Really a fan of Native Tongues and never of Jungle Bros.
B eatnuts & Liks were in the Netherlands late last year. Beatnus are mediocre rappers but GREAT producers. They have a knack for finding the greatest samples. They're crazy with old record. The Like were always one of my favorite groups. I love every album they did. They were early on the Neptunes tip too. Likwidation is my joint.

Quote:
what were the first hip hop tapes (you're 27, i'm assuming it was tape) you remember getting?

De La, Ice T, Kane, Tone Loc indeed, Salt & Pepa, Breed and some R&B. My first cd's were Bad by MJ, a Duran Duran one, De La Soul's is Dead album.

You had some nice early influences!

Quote:
Do you have any of this or do you accept "older stuff" as your own?
Yes I've alway been a HUGE fan of the Juice Crew. Always. And Lakim Sshabazz and Chill Rob G from Flavor Unit. Flavor Unit is very underrated. And that's 88/89 I'm talking about and that's just before my time. I think I got really into it in 90. I remember watching a lot of Dre and Lover @ MTV. Taping it with a casette recording in front of the TV. No cables. So whenever somebody walked in the room and talked I'd have to hear it the rest of the week on the tape when listening to it. I also used to chew on paper to put in the holes on the sides of those tapes, so I could dub them over. Sometimes you dont have sticky tape....

A Eric B and Rakim : revolutionary, and i rank them here for the influence they had. especially rakim of course. production by marley marl and other. i think large pro did some early work for them too.
B Pete Rock and CL Smooth : great producer, but never a huge fan of cl. pete is great. really nice beats. and very recognizable.
F Nice and Smooth : their cds wehere fun. but they were horrible rappers. really awful. i loved the beatnuts for bringing back mike smooth on the hook for some songs by the way. he was perfect for hooks.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #45
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
I'm not referring to "content" which is a huge difference. I understand that hip hop was originally a "party" driven genre. I know that hip hop also had wack subject matter and whatnot. But they were mainly aiming at being the best rappers. That's why battles started and they kept upping the ante.

That's been replaced by who has the most record sales and not who the best rapper (mcee) is.

A dope rapper is a dope rapper regardless of topic. I don't care if they talk about hustling, MLK or fingering a ***** at a club, as long as its dope. Dopeness imo is should come before anything else.

I agree that record sales has allowed some of the underground or dope artists to sell more, but that's nothing compared to an entire generation watering down their lyrics and an audience that has lowered their standards so much.

Soulja Boy isn't just for the teeny boppers. There's grown men that think he's dope.

No diss to Southern rappers, but there's beats made in the early 80s that are superior to those they make, some have worse rhyme schemes and flows than those by the Fat Boys.

Today's avg fan doesn't know what the elements are. Doesn't know who Rakim is, doesn't know who Grandmaster Flash or even Preemo are!!!!

Today's avg fan is too far removed from alot of it, and sadly DOESN'T CARE.

To make a long story short: that's when Hip Hop became big. Rock lovers don't know where rock comes from. They will state Rock & Roll is white music. That's just part of art. It happens everywhere. People will love a nice art deco building without even knowing the name of the style and where it came from.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: