Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Atlanta Hawks Forum

Atlanta Hawks Forum Atlanta Hawks message board - atlanta hawks fan forum

Old 05-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #211
lazerface
everything must go

Default Re: May 5: Hawks at Cavs, Game 1 (Round 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Why on God's green earth should the Cavs run more?

because charles barkley said so.....
lazerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #212
BallersTalk
Banned

Quote:
Why on God's green earth should the Cavs run more? It is an unmitigated fact that up-tempo teams usually sh!t the bed in the playoffs. Furthermore, the Cavs have now had five consecutive blowouts to start the postseason. I think it is safe to say that they know what they are doing... And it works.

I didn't think that the Cavs would have much rust tonight and they didn't. The focus of this team is really staggering. They simply do not get complacent.

Great way to start, guys.

Five down, 11 to go.
Because the Cavs' halfcourt offense is insanely boring. This is their entire offense:
1. Pass to LeBron
2. LeBron dribbles
3. dribbles
4. dribbles
5. dribbles some more
6. asks for a pick
7. drives to basket
8. passes to Z, West, or Mo for a jumpshot
9. OR passes to Varejao for a dunk
10. or shoots it himself

That's ALL. They don't have any real ball movement. They run the same damn play every time down.
BallersTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #213
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallersTalk
Because the Cavs' halfcourt offense is insanely boring. This is their entire offense:
1. Pass to LeBron
2. LeBron dribbles
3. dribbles
4. dribbles
5. dribbles some more
6. asks for a pick
7. drives to basket
10. or shoots it himself

That's ALL. They don't have any real ball movement. They run the same damn play every time down.

So what ? It works.

Cavs don't need to worry about scoring more, they need to keep focussing on making their opponents score less. Defense is what the Cavs do best, and its what wins championships.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #214
BallersTalk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
So what ? It works.

Cavs don't need to worry about scoring more, they need to keep focussing on making their opponents score less. Defense is what the Cavs do best, and its what wins championships.
Someone didn't watch the '07 Finals.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #215
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian guy
LeBron shouldn't be on the court. What is Mike Brown doing?

He's doing the smart thing which is to close the game out. LeBron was saved and rested all through the season for this very reason. Remember the game against Detroit where we were up by 28 points and the Pistons cut in within 7 points because of the second unit? I don't want to see that shit again. Did you see the Celtics/Orlando game yesterday where Orlando was up by 28 and the Celtics cut it to 3? We don't need that. LeBron is saved and rested, they just had 9 days off, keep him in there even up by 20 with 5 minutes left and close the damn game out I say.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #216
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Quote:
Someone didn't watch the '07 Finals.

Well that someone isn't me. You really think I would miss my teams first ever NBA finals ?

Cavs are much better in the half-court offense now compared to back then, and better on defense as well. Neither of which requires them to run. Running is for the regular season, what they need to do now is stand their ground on defense.
If the Cavs get to the finals and they try to outscore the Laker they will lose. The way to win is to slow down the game and grind it out.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #217
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
1. Pass to LeBron
2. LeBron dribbles
3. dribbles
4. dribbles
5. dribbles some more
6. asks for a pick
7. drives to basket
10. or shoots it himself

Do you think the team or anyone in Cleveland cares whether or not you and Charles Barkley find the offense boring? If you don't find a team that relies on great defensive fundamentals exciting enough, then you really don't like basketball in its purest form and I suggest tuning in to ESPN after 2 a.m. when they play re-runs of the And-1 guys dribbling in circles and then celebrating like they just figured out the key to nanotechnology.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #218
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Why on God's green earth should the Cavs run more?

I have no clue what people are thinking. If you run more, this results in worse positioning on defense becuase you push the ball up so quick. It's also further prone to turnsovers. Running more just takes away from the strength of the Cavs which is their defense positioning in the halfcourt.

The Cavaliers won 66 games this season not running, why in the hell would you not do something that obviously works and so far these playoffs in the first five playoff games the Cavs are averaging 94.6 points per game while holding the opposition to 76.8 points per game. They're almost blowing the teams out by 20 points per game. Why change anything? I don't know. Some people huh?
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:32 AM   #219
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Why on God's green earth should the Cavs run more? It is an unmitigated fact that up-tempo teams usually sh!t the bed in the playoffs. Furthermore, the Cavs have now had five consecutive blowouts to start the postseason. I think it is safe to say that they know what they are doing... And it works.

I didn't think that the Cavs would have much rust tonight and they didn't. The focus of this team is really staggering. They simply do not get complacent.

Great way to start, guys.

Five down, 11 to go.

It helps to play trash like Detroit and Atlanta. They going to have the EC handed to them.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #220
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I have no clue what people are thinking. If you run more, this results in worse positioning on defense becuase you push the ball up so quick. It's also further prone to turnsovers. Running more just takes away from the strength of the Cavs which is their defense positioning in the halfcourt.

The Cavaliers won 66 games this season not running, why in the hell would you not do something that obviously works and so far these playoffs in the first five playoff games the Cavs are averaging 94.6 points per game while holding the opposition to 76.8 points per game. They're almost blowing the teams out by 20 points per game. Why change anything? I don't know. Some people huh?
It doesn't make rational sense. I like Barkley, but sometimes he just opens his mouth to hear himself talk and doesn't think things through rationally.

There is really no feasible argument why the Cavs should run.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #221
BallersTalk
Banned

Quote:
Do you think the team or anyone in Cleveland cares whether or not you and Charles Barkley find the offense boring? If you don't find a team that relies on great defensive fundamentals exciting enough, then you really don't like basketball in its purest form and I suggest tuning in to ESPN after 2 a.m. when they play re-runs of the And-1 guys dribbling in circles and then celebrating like they just figured out the key to nanotechnology.
There's a reason the Cavs struggle against the elite teams in the NBA. It's because those teams can hone in on what Cleveland wants to run offensively. The Cavs should've taken notes on the true best team in the NBA, the Lakers. That team knows how to run.

Last edited by BallersTalk : 05-06-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #222
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
There's a reason the Cavs struggle against the elite teams in the NBA. It's because those teams can hone in on what Cleveland wants to run offensively. The Cavs should've taken notes on the true best team in the NBA, the Lakers. That team knows how to run.
The Lakers, as they are currently constructed, have exactly the same number of championships as the Cavaliers.

Your point is moot.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #223
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Quote:

The Lakers have a very different roster from the Cavs, what works for them might not work for the Cavs, which holds true the other way around as well.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:27 AM   #224
hawkfan
Billy Ocean Fan

Back to reality for Joe Johnson - disappears against the Cavs in game 1.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #225
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

I gotta say, Cleveland is looking damn near unstoppable. Even when they arent having a good game, they're still WAY better than most of their competition.

I'd reeeeeeeeeeeally like to see them go up against better squads though, because its hard to gage them in the playoffs when they play the teams they're playing.

But yea, they're fu*king dominating the east.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: