Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default Racist Abuse Against Muslims In England.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/pol...cle1819668.ece

Straw blamed for 'racist' backlash

By Marie Woolf, Francis Elliott and Lauren Veevers

Published: 08 October 2006

Jack Straw was last night looking increasingly isolated over his disclosure that he would prefer Muslim women not to wear the veil, as Cabinet colleagues publicly distanced themselves from his remarks.

Ruth Kelly, the Communities Secretary, said she saw wearing the veil as a " personal choice" and would not ask a woman who sought her advice to remove it.

Peter Hain, the Northern Ireland Secretary, who is expected to run against Mr Straw to become deputy leader of the Labour Party, said that women should be entitled to wear the veil if they chose.

"I believe that women, like everybody else, are entitled to dress as they choose to dress," he said on BBC Radio 4's Any Questions.

Mr Straw's condemnation of the veil worn by some Muslim women as a " statement of separation and difference" has caused intense controversy since he raised the issue on Thursday. The Leader of the House of Commons disclosed that he asked Muslim women attending his advice surgery to remove their veils.

But yesterday he was accused by a fellow Labour MP of unleashing a racist backlash against Britain's Muslims.

The first sign of a racist reaction came in Liverpool on Friday when a man snatched a veil from a 49-year-old woman's face after shouting racist abuse. Yesterday, protesters took to the streets of Mr Straw's Blackburn constituency to vent their anger.

The protest was told that a young Muslim girl wearing a veil in Blackburn was confronted by three youths on Friday night. One threw a newspaper at her and shouted: "Jack has told you to take off your veil."

Shahid Malik, Labour MP for Dewsbury, said the country's Muslims were braced for further attacks in a deteriorating climate of fear and suspicion.

"I think Jack may have unleashed forces more negative and corrosive than he anticipated," said Mr Malik. "I think there is a growing feeling among Muslims in Britain that something has got to give. They are genuinely fearful of attack."

The Race Relations minister Phil Woolas claimed Mr Straw's comments had provoked a backlash. The Oldham MP said that Muslims in his constituency had received phone calls from relatives asking if they were safe in Britain, following the extensive news coverage of the issue.

The Islamic Human Rights Commission called for unity in Britain, but the chairman Massoud Shadjareh, said Mr Straw should not let clothing " become a hurdle for discussion".

Jack Straw was last night looking increasingly isolated over his disclosure that he would prefer Muslim women not to wear the veil, as Cabinet colleagues publicly distanced themselves from his remarks.

Ruth Kelly, the Communities Secretary, said she saw wearing the veil as a " personal choice" and would not ask a woman who sought her advice to remove it.

Peter Hain, the Northern Ireland Secretary, who is expected to run against Mr Straw to become deputy leader of the Labour Party, said that women should be entitled to wear the veil if they chose.

"I believe that women, like everybody else, are entitled to dress as they choose to dress," he said on BBC Radio 4's Any Questions.

Mr Straw's condemnation of the veil worn by some Muslim women as a " statement of separation and difference" has caused intense controversy since he raised the issue on Thursday. The Leader of the House of Commons disclosed that he asked Muslim women attending his advice surgery to remove their veils.

But yesterday he was accused by a fellow Labour MP of unleashing a racist backlash against Britain's Muslims.

The first sign of a racist reaction came in Liverpool on Friday when a man snatched a veil from a 49-year-old woman's face after shouting racist abuse. Yesterday, protesters took to the streets of Mr Straw's Blackburn constituency to vent their anger.
The protest was told that a young Muslim girl wearing a veil in Blackburn was confronted by three youths on Friday night. One threw a newspaper at her and shouted: "Jack has told you to take off your veil."

Shahid Malik, Labour MP for Dewsbury, said the country's Muslims were braced for further attacks in a deteriorating climate of fear and suspicion.

"I think Jack may have unleashed forces more negative and corrosive than he anticipated," said Mr Malik. "I think there is a growing feeling among Muslims in Britain that something has got to give. They are genuinely fearful of attack."

The Race Relations minister Phil Woolas claimed Mr Straw's comments had provoked a backlash. The Oldham MP said that Muslims in his constituency had received phone calls from relatives asking if they were safe in Britain, following the extensive news coverage of the issue.

The Islamic Human Rights Commission called for unity in Britain, but the chairman Massoud Shadjareh, said Mr Straw should not let clothing " become a hurdle for discussion."

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/pol...cle1819668.ece
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

What an idiot, they can wear whatever they want to IMO.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Theres tons of muslim women who don't wear veils. Most who do, choose to. The reason brits are so uptight and scared of Islam is because there are so many muslims in the UK and they are immigrants; therefore, the majority of society's problems are blamed on them. Kind of like how the Germans blamed the jewish immigrants for everything or like many Californians blame Mexicans for evrything
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

i thought it was ironic how they were saying muslims feared attack. i think the british public has more to fear from fanatical muslims. i mean the british might draw a satirical cartoon about this issue but then the fanatics might burn some shiyt down. which side would have more to fear?

personally, I think its a persons choice to wear whatever they want, even if their views are archaic and lame. however, there are certain instances that you should have to take off your veil. like for drivers liscense pictures or if being searched at an airport.

i do understand where the anti-veil feeling is coming from tho. muslim immigrants aren't particularly willing to assimilate or even tolerate western culture compared to other groups. the veil does distguinish a feeling of foreigness and division from those who wear "normal" western clothing. but, we beleive in free speech (at least we say we do in USA) and individual rights so stripping these people of their ability to weir the veil would be stripping ourselves of our freedom.

one problem is that sometimes muslim women are forced to wear the veil even if they dont want to. in france they have banned it in some areas because of "honor" beatings and brutal rape commited by male islamists against muslim women who chose not to wear it.

how do you tolerate a culture of oppression and intolerence in a culture of individuality and freedom? i'm not implying all muslims are apart of that culture but there are a lot of muslim immigrants across Europe who are.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

when i rome....
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: