Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Twiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat cool
Default Kwame Brown Update (He Can Catch!!)

Brown more comfortable in second year with Lakers
Print this | E-mail this | Comments on this article: 0

Posted: October 7, 2006

Associated Press

EL SEGUNDO , Calif. -- Simply catching the ball was a challenge for Kwame Brown last season. Through five days of training camp with the Los Angeles Lakers, that's something he now has a handle on.

It's all about comfort.

"It's not thinking as much," Brown said after practice Saturday. "I'm not as anxious. You can't do anything without the ball. You can think about the spot you're supposed to be at all day long, but you can't do anything without the rock.

"So, I've just basically been trying to slow down. I'm not as wide-eyed as I was last year."

Brown came to his first Lakers camp a year ago as a power forward, but the team soon realized he was better suited to play center.

Brown, the No. 1 pick in the 2001 NBA draft by the Washington Wizards, averaged 7.4 points and 6.6 rebounds last season. He said he worked out running stairs over the summer to get in better condition for this year.

Chris Mihm, who started most of last season at center for the Lakers, is recuperating from offseason ankle surgery.

"Right now, everybody is pretty much saying I'm the starting center," Brown said. "But you've got to realize that Chris did it all season long, so I'm not looking at it like I'm the starting center. I'm looking at it as everybody is equal and we've got to fight for our jobs.

"I'm ready for him to come back healthy and we go at it and that'll make us better. He's going to push me and I'm going to push him."
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #2
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far

Thanks for posting this. Yeah, I hope all this hype about everything clicking in Los Angeles Lakers camp is true.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

maybe the new ball is easier for him to catch?
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
maybe the new ball is easier for him to catch?

Maybe, because there was an article about how Joel Pryzbilla likes the new ball because he has small hands. Kwame Brown has small hands as well, so maybe the new ball might be a slight advantage for the Los Angeles Lakers. One can only hope, but that's a good point bigboi_baller.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I would also argue that he had himself psyched out to the point that he was so nervous anytime he touched the ball. If you recall, Phillip had him focus on defense only and parlay those successes. Step by step, Kwame regained his confidence. So perhaps that has also been a factor.

I guess I am going to have to hit a sporting goods store to see what one of these new basketballs is like.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:44 AM   #6
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Twiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat cool

Man, I cant wait. Im so pumped up for the season now.
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-shaq
Hello Everyone,

TALK LOGICAL, KWAME well he is just KWAME unlike Rony Turiaf he is just UNBELIEVABLE. NO QUESTION ASK.

I am sorry, but I dont understand what you mean here. Can you please explain?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
SoCalMike

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

OH YEAH I CAN EXPLIAN; Well lets say this, Everytime Kwame is in the game he drops it, so that is just Kwame. Everytime Rony is in the game he tears it UP. OKAY

With all due respect, I would suggest you sit back a bit in this forum and take more time to learn the Lakers team. You have made quite a few general statements that do not seem to hold water.

It might make sense to do more reading and learning here, rather than trying to contribute to the forum. It just makes you look uninformed and diminishes the quality of the posts.

My humble two cents.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:16 AM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
With all due respect, I would suggest you sit back a bit in this forum and take more time to learn the Lakers team. You have made quite a few general statements that do not seem to hold water.

It might make sense to do more reading and learning here, rather than trying to contribute to the forum. It just makes you look uninformed and diminishes the quality of the posts.

My humble two cents.

I agreeeee!!!!!!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:06 AM   #10
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

Kobe4MVP has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I cant believe he catches the ball till I see it. I think he sucks at catching and when I see proven evidence that he can catch more than one ball thrown at him I will be satisfied.

Love and God Bless,

Anti-shaq

Be sure to watch the game on Thursday then, and once he catches his two passes you are required to come back and profess your ignorance profusely.

Learning some english and general manners wouldn't hurt either.
Kobe4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:42 AM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

WOW, profusely prety DUMB! WOULD NOT YOU SAY SO? I WOULD. ANYWAYS, sure he can catch passes but he will drop them to.

Love and God Bless,

Anti-Shaq

How old are you little girl?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:07 AM   #12
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

WOW, profusely prety DUMB! WOULD NOT YOU SAY SO? I WOULD. ANYWAYS, sure he can catch passes but he will drop them to.

Love and God Bless,

Anti-Shaq

WOW.

First and foremost,

Which is it Auntie Shaq? First you say Kwame drops the ball every time he's in the game, but now you freely admit that he can catch?

You must be the captain of your debate club!

Love and God Bless (with extra blessings to save us all from little idiots like you).
Old 10-08-2006, 04:55 AM   #13
ManUtd
Banned

ManUtd has an OK reputation so far

Go Kwame!!!! That's My Boy!!!
ManUtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #14
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

Another article on Kwame's progress:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...rts-nba-lakers

"As for his hands?

"He's doing a good job of catching the ball," Rambis said. "To be honest with you, I don't think that I've noticed him dropping the ball in training camp, which is good, considering that most of this is a hack-fest out there."
Old 10-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #15
*LAKERS_3_PETE*
Local High School Star

*LAKERS_3_PETE* has decent reputation

True in a sense that Kwame needs to work on the art of catching the rock first before anything else, however in evaluating Kwame's stats he has cut down on his turnovers 1.39 per game w/his asst/to ratio @ 0.7 committing 100 T/O's (fewest amongst starters LOL) in 72 games averaging 27 minutes per game. So it's more of Kwame's lack of concentration rather than the issue of him having small hands, however in judging Kwame's overall performance dating back to after last years' ASB and leading into the P/O's Kwame's more fundamentally sound @ playin' the C position rather than the PF position he'd been playin' most during his 4 miserable years @ D.C. So in those regards it isn't farfetched to say Kwame only being 24 is given a new positive outlook manning down the middle for the LALAKERS with the potentials of him being a good (not great) top 10 centers that's currently playin' in this league.
*LAKERS_3_PETE* is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: