Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 05-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Is anybody here still against the Brooklyn move?

the other day i was looking over some of the past and present nets rosters and thought "well of course the nets weren't going to get very far. i mean, duh."

awvee storey, rodney buford, travis best, ron mercer, jabari smith, linton johnson, lamond murray, scott padgett, marc jackson, zoran planinic, mo ager, malik allen, dee diop, eddie gill, jamaal magloire, stro swift... the list goes on and on. i mean, how many teams are going to win with guys like that? yet we all seem to agree that thorn is one of the best GM's, so what's going on here?

no doubt there are multiple factors, but a big one that stands out is location.

ie, how many top players want to play in new jersey in a mediocre arena in front of a small and mostly indifferent fanbase? i mean, we're always complaining about players and the coach around here, but how often do we stop and think about the huge 'jersey' handicap? this problem goes on year after year after year... is it ever going to change on its own?

so i just don't see the nets becoming a contender again via quality player pickups unless it moves and gets the much larger fanbase, revenue and budget of brooklyn. i mean sure, brooklyn is a hardship for some nets fans, but wouldn't you say the price is worth it? can you imagine superstar free agents actually being psyched to play for the nets at a top-notch facility? wouldn't that be cool?

Last edited by gigantes : 05-08-2009 at 02:51 AM.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is anybody here still against the Brooklyn move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
awvee storey, rodney buford, travis best, ron mercer, jabari smith, linton johnson, lamond murray, scott padgett, marc jackson, zoran planinic, mo ager, malik allen, dee diop, eddie gill, jamaal magloire, stro swift... the list goes on and on. i mean, how many teams are going to win with guys like that? yet we all seem to agree that thorn is one of the best GM's, so what's going on here?

Hey i was just thinking something similar the other day except the exact opposite. I was thinking about some of the good players that we once had. I was thinking about when Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson, Vince Carter, Kenyon Martin were on the team like that was a really good squad. I saw the Celtics game last night and saw Eddie House torching them 3's and thought to myself, why didn't New Jersey extend this guys contract? Man that dude can torch them 3's, what were the nets thinking? I personally like the trade for Harris in that kidd deal, but right now can u imagine a sqaud if we had:

Harris
Carter/House
Jefferson
Martin
Lopez

that would have been dope ...as far as the move to brooklyn, i really dont care where they go. Im always going to be a nets fan, i just want to see the franchise successful thats all.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

so fantasizing about past possibilities is better than looking towards the future?

interesting.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I think people underestimate how much things would change if the Nets played at the Prudential Center. Yeah, it's in Newark, but the area really is no different than Brooklyn. Transportation would be easier, the life around the arena would be better, and the stadium is that much nicer. Moving to an area that already has a team just seems stupid. It really hasn't succeeded much in the past. Just look at how at the overwhelming parity among fans of the major team versus their less talented brother. Last time I checked, nearly everyone loves the Yankees, Rangers, and Giants. While the Mets in particular have a nice following, you'd be hard pressed to fine a significant amount of Jets and Islander fans. So I just don't see why people follow this business model. At least in New Jersey you'll be able to find distinction.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
gigantes
A piece of fluff

nice points there, wang, although i'm pretty sure that based on the numbers, even being a 'little brother' in a huge market is still more productive than being the big fish in a backwater pond. i'm quite sure that simply being in NYC is going to give an enormous boost to the team if the projection research is only half-accurate.

as for newark, it's only a seven mile drive from east rutherford, so other than the arena being a little nicer, why do you think it would be preferable to brooklyn? i mean, if you can't get enough people to come to east rutherford, it's almost certain that you'll have the same problem in newark.

meanwhile, moving into NYC gives you an instant enormous fanbase boost, even if lots of them are mainly knicks fans, even if they're only dropping by the game to kill some time.

after all... there are 18 million people in the NYC metro area. how can east ruthorford or newark possibly compete with that?
Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I'm sure they did the numbers to support their move to Brooklyn vs. staying in NJ, but I'm still against it. I may not be a fan anymore when they do move to Brooklyn. It just hurts my stomach everytime I think about it.

I think Newark will be better because transportation is just so much easier. Right now to get to the Meadowlands you're forced to drive on Rt. 3 to pretty much the middle of no where (as far as Northern Jersey goes) to get there. Mass transportation--though it's improving--is still very minimal. Atleast in Newark you'll have way more options to get there. I think just being more accessible would increase fan attendance by 20%.. personally. You still see a lot of people parking cars far away--as far as Clifton and just walking along the miles of Rt. 3 to get to games. It's sad for any arena to make their fans have to walk miles to get there just because their parking fees are ridiculous. Just consider this, when I grew up in Jersey, I could get to the Garden in nearly half the time it would take me to get to the Meadowlands. It's just in a really really desolate area and it's a bad areana--while the Prudential Center is pretty nice. I mean, I used to work in the Stadium of my University and that was wayyyy nicer than the Izod Center. It's pretty sad.

But overall I think New Jersey's fans are just more loyal to the ones in NYC. NY fans are basically the bandwagoning LA fans with attitude. They ride the wave of what's trendy and hot. And yes, that translates to more ticket sales and overall merchandise sales but I just have invested so much in this team for the last 24 years of my life I can't see them in anywhere else but Jersey. So as far as business goes, I can understand why they do it, but in doing what's best for the core fans it sucks. I feel slighted by it, and if it ever does happen I may just switch to being a full time Knick fan (as I do work in Manhattan) because I can't support a team that just upped and left.

Last edited by wang4three : 05-09-2009 at 08:44 AM.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Believe it or not there was a time where we coulda have had a good bench.... then, all hopes were lost. Posey was rumored to have a gigh interest in NJ than the C's got Allen and Garnett, and the Nets also lost House to the C's as well...

As for the OP
As much as I love Jersey, you are right we have never had a big FA sigining besides VC, and Kidd contract extensions....They have all been through trade or draft
Stephon and others for Kidd and others
Draft- K-Mart (lost to FA)
Draft- Jefferson, Collins
Alonzo, A. Williams, E.Williams for Carter
Draft-Nenad
Draft- Lopez
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

[QUOTE
I feel slighted by it, and if it ever does happen I may just switch to being a full time Knick fan (as I do work in Manhattan) because I can't support a team that just upped and left.[/quote]

I agree here about switching to be a knick fan...i would be both, but i live 10 minutes from manhattan and it would be easier to go to a knick game then to drive to a brooklyn game. people say that the drive and location is bad at the meadowlands...but for most new jersians...the Drive and trying to get to a Brooklyn Net game will be worse and longer than trying to get to a game in the meadowlands. From Manhattan on train brookyln is like an hour and 20 minute ride. Drive even more, looking for parking in brookln will be hell. For me I never ever had a problem with parking at the IZOD center...LIKE its not hard folks...to get in ur car and drive on a road and park at an arena. Its 12 dollars for parking...so what, in New York at a parking garage you are paying at least 30.

I dont get some of you catz in jersey..like in jersey the transportation is not like NY unless u live in a city that has busses and trains, like a Newark, or Jersey City etc. For the rest of us, don't you get in ur car and drive to the mall or the movie theatre or watever. Its the same concept as driving ur car to the meadowlands, finding the arena and parking its not hard! I dont by the argument about Location because The Giants play in the same location. Major Concerts are always sold out the same location, hip hop Summer jams are sold out in the same location, the Jets play in the same location...that argument is crap absolute crap! Wat it comes down to is the fans...

just admit that New Jersey has sucky fans that dont support the team thats the bottom line. because the giants, jets, concerts, etc all play in the same exact area/location as the nets yet they always have better turnouts, why...Because they have supportive Fans.

And one last thing. I dont buy the argument that if the nets go to brooklyn the NY residents will be Broolyn nets fans...Maybe the people living in brookyln will be, but if im not mistaken, ALL NY KNICKS FANS HATE THE NETS So why would they be BROOKLYN NETS FANS...unless like someone said on the post they are jumping the bandwagon.

Look it dont matter to me. Brooklyn or NJ im still following the Nets, but the arguments of bad location and all that is not relevant in my opinion. To sum up my post...THE PROBLEM THAT NEW JERSEY has is the fans...THE FANS DO NOT SUPPORT THIS FRANCHISE!
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
gigantes
A piece of fluff

good replies. good points. reps all around.

(unfortunately i must "spread more rep around" before hitting wang and NF93, but at least i tried, heh)
Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Huey Freeman
PAO

Huey Freeman has decent reputationHuey Freeman has decent reputation

I'd like the Nets to stay in New Jersey. Whether it's Izod Center or moving to Newark.
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

Well it looks like things are looking up for the move, whether you like it or not. They may actually break ground this summer.
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #12
Huey Freeman
PAO

Huey Freeman has decent reputationHuey Freeman has decent reputation

Seeing is believing.
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #13
Rusty
Host of a Nets podcast

Rusty has decent reputation

As the opposers to the move keep losing in their attempts to keep Atlantic Yards from being developed, Brucey and co. keep moving a step closer to breaking ground. I actually do believe him and the Nets brass when they repeatedly say the team will be in the Barclay's Center for the 2011/12 season. Besides (and I realise this is a slightly simplistic view), why would Thorn, Yormark, Ratner and co keep saying the move is on track and will happen, if it really isn't and won't?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
Hey i was just thinking something similar the other day except the exact opposite. I was thinking about some of the good players that we once had. I was thinking about when Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson, Vince Carter, Kenyon Martin were on the team like that was a really good squad. I saw the Celtics game last night and saw Eddie House torching them 3's and thought to myself, why didn't New Jersey extend this guys contract? Man that dude can torch them 3's, what were the nets thinking? I personally like the trade for Harris in that kidd deal, but right now can u imagine a sqaud if we had:

Harris
Carter/House
Jefferson
Martin
Lopez

that would have been dope ...as far as the move to brooklyn, i really dont care where they go. Im always going to be a nets fan, i just want to see the franchise successful thats all.

Replace Harris with Kidd, and House with Kittles and the Nets beat 2002-2003 Spurs in five.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: