Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #16
el gringos
Decent college freshman

el gringos is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: My Long Twist on a Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
In the case of Calathes, there are only so many teams that need a PG, and if enough teams that don't need one aren't so overwhelmed by the talent of say a Lawson or Holiday that they feel they have to take him where they are (that's the balance of prospect effect), and they take a guy who's a better fit for them (like a face up big who may not be as highly graded, but is close enough), then the next PG needy team will find someone falling to them who they normally wouldn't expect. Which will drive a guy who may be among my top thirty prospects, but say seventh at his position, way down the board.

This isn't a great draft, because the top end just isn't there, but I feel like it's really deep with contributing roster player types. Moreso than usual.

I like the pg explanation, but won't a lot of teams be looking for them with 8-10 players people think are 1st rds? I'm hoping nugs get a pg and only have 2 early scnd so I'm hoping a lot of the guys I don't like go early I guess- calathes would be a good one to hope to drop to denvers pick- its really looking imo like the nuggets should try to trade their lac and okc 2nds and whatever for a pick to get holiday if he really goes 20-25

the pg situation is the most interesting in the draft- its hard to feel too sure about rubio and jennings and it seems like people are questioning the other 3 of my top 5 of holiday, teague, and curry- throw in tyreke evans who imo could be drafted as a pg by gs, ny, or others and flynn/lawson who could be picked anywhere it seems + calathes, mills, hudson and probobly a couple more I don't know there are just a lot of pgs in this draft- I can't wait to see who gets who- feels like calathes will be told to return but hope he wants nba now
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #17
Unknown
I hit open layups

Unknown has an OK reputation so far

Can you explain a little bit more on why Branden Jennings is dropping to #16 on yours? Surely, there are few teams who could use his ability to score the basketball; Bucks perhaps, drafting at about 10 would probably look at him, in my opinion. And that's only if he drops past what he's projected as (#6), which I don't think he will. His talent is way too large to let drop out of the lottery.

Last edited by Unknown : 05-13-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #18
yobore
Good college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

I think J. Johnson will slip to the bottom of the first round or second round. I haven't seen any fanbase excited about or even mentioning him. Same thing happened with Josh Howard. Both entering the draft as versatile defenders and athletes who are good at everything but not great at anything.

Looking at his skills and his acceptance of whatever role he is a definite first year contributor.

Last edited by yobore : 05-13-2009 at 05:10 AM.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
Can you explain a little bit more on why Branden Jennings is dropping to #16 on yours? Surely, there are few teams who could use his ability to score the basketball; Bucks perhaps, drafting at about 10 would probably look at him, in my opinion. And that's only if he drops past what he's projected as (#6), which I don't think he will. His talent is way too large to let drop out of the lottery.

I said in the other post too, the Jennings spot for me is the hardest to reconcile. He's got to be somewhat affected by the depth at that position. In my version, I took Flynn ahead of him at 10, which led to his drop. After ten and before 17 I can only see two teams who'd realistically be in the market for a PG, the Suns and Pacers. I have the Pacers going for size, in part because of the season Dunleavy had, and his ball handling running next to Granger. The Suns I had taking Tyreke Evans, who I think functions a bit as a PG anyway, but his open floor skills, and the fact he can run next to Nash for the next few years instead of being set behind him, on a team that still wants to make a few playoff pushes. That was my thinking.

I admittedly reached on Derozan earlier with the Wolves, but I wouldn't have a problem with Jennings there, or at ten, it's just that I prefer Flynn, especially with the Buck shooters.
In retrospect, I'd have to really consider Jennings with the Wolves pick. But my thinking was that they have multiple first rounders, and with the depth at the position, may be better suited taking the best they can get up top, and wait for another PG to fall. In my string, Lawson fell to them later on. While in my projection string, they took Jennings early, and took Lawal later, who may be closer to a career bench big, while Derozan has all star potential upside. That gap may be bigger than the one between Lawson and Jennings.
The other option would be to try to package the two later picks and move up some to get a wing late lottery, perhaps even Derozan, and use that top pick on Jennings, but I limited myself on trading because then you can just make up anything.

That's part of the reason I did this actually, because I think this draft could be dominated by team need more than most in recent years. The Knicks for example would be another possible destination for Jennings, but with their lack of depth up front, and with so little size available this offseason, they'd be hard pressed to pass on one of the top few bigs.

Last edited by Thorpesaurous : 05-13-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
DwadeOverLebron
High School Varsity 6th Man

DwadeOverLebron has an OK reputation so far

MAN! thats impressive dood! that must have took you forever to write up! REPS to you man! some of you are gonna think im a loser for doing this, and others might consider me a genius but i have this really old bingo set and man its gotta be like 20 yrs old! anyways theres 250 little wooden balls with bingo #'s on em so i put numbers on em 1 through 14, for instance i marked 63 balls with the #1 on em, and 45 balls with the #2 on em, and 44 balls with #3, 30 with #4... whatever the odds were so on and so forth, and what i did was simulated a lottery, since i wanted to make this as realistic as possible, i did the lottery 3 times, i wanted to do 4 but i couldn't take doing another round, so after each lottery i wrote down which team went where and averaged it all out and decided to seed them out according to the averages... and all i gotta say is wow at the results! BTW the real draft positions is only a couple of days away MAY 19th! Here are my results... with the first pick of the 2009 nba draft...

#1 CLIPPERS (OKC) - they had the third worst record in the league, but during my lottery selection they got 1st twice and 3rd once.

Logically: Anyways this is a gimme anyone with the #1 overall will grab blake right? but if you look at the clips... i wouldn't call it loaded in the front court but they got some good size on paper! zach, camby, kaman, thornton, deandre.

Personally: I say they're going to trade this pick to OKC, and on my board OKC has the #3 overall pick, watch OKC to trade the #3 and next years 1st rounder and CASH for the rights to hometown hero blake griffin. somehow i think OKC is going to wind up with blake, and david stern and his hometown hero business revenue engine will keep on churning... see derrick rose, lebron james.

#2 Kings (knicks)- the kings landed #2 all THREE TIMES!!!! LOL that was pretty funny.

Logically: The kings need as many pieces as possible posting the worst record in the league, so they draft POSSIBLY the best player available potentially in ricky rubio.

Personally: If they land this high and considering how weak this draft is, i say they trade it too the knicks who i have drafting at #4 and also next years pick just like what OKC and the clipps did up above, i think the kings are gonna gamble on the fact that the knicks suck! and they will also next year... anyways the knicks grab dantoni's guy in ricky rubio which will be a perfect fit basketball wise and economically.

#3 OKC (clips) - they landed #3, #4, and #1 in my lottery.

Logically: If they don't pull the trade with the clips i say they grab Hasheem thabeet without question, but i think OKC somehow under the magic of stern will wind up with blake!

Personally: I think the trade goes through with the clips and the clips select james harden, the clips are pretty solid up front and i know they gotta explosive scorer in gordon but i think when its all said and done, nba execs will all agree that james harden is a BIG BIG TIME player and the clipps might have found someone to FINALLY build around, i think hardens a future all star.

#4 Knicks (Kings) - The surprise team that jumped into the #4 spot, they landed #4, #6, and #4 in my lottery.

Logically: If the trade doesn't go thru, i either think they will trade down to grab either brandon jennings or stephen curry, but i don't think any teams will be willing to jump up to this spot either, so my guess is they will grab either brandon jennings or hasheem thabeet.

Personally: I think the trade goes thru since it makes sense for both teams, and i think the kings will pick hasheem thabeet, you can't teach size and as the kings are in the starting process of gutting there team, they'll grab thabeet along with a new tough defensive identity.

#5 Memphis - Landed #5, #7 and #6.

Logically: No brainer here, Jordan Hill since they need a PF.

Personally: I'm not too big on jordan hill, he seems a little awkward to me still, but they need a PF and altho he's a little rough on the offensive side of things the grizz arn't askin him to be a offensive force just yet, he'll be a good hustle rebound defensive player.

#6 Milwaukee - Another surprise here as they landed #6, #5, and #8.

Logically: I’m not sure if they are going to sign sessions or not, but knowing skiles ill say they do and watch them to either try to trade down or go after earl clark since there isn’t any pf worthy of this selection, but if they don’t decide to resign sessions than look for them to trade down and try to nab Stephen curry, ty Lawson, or eric maynor… I dunno I just can’t see Brandon Jennings and skiles coexisting.

Personally: If a trade is not possible I will try to grab the best player available and I think that will be mr. earl clark, I don’t think he knows how good he can become, I know they got rich Jefferson but you just don’t pass up a talent like clark… I don’t know why but I see eric maynor being a skiles type of guy, watch for a possible trade down for maynor.

#7 Wizards – HOW in the..?!? yess they finished #7 in my lottery pick with a #8, #8, #7.

Logically: With all there players back I see them finally grabbing a pg, or a center, but with out any true front court players worthy of this pick, they should be ecstatic to see Brandon Jennings still here, but they might flirt with a Stephen curry pick.

Personally: I think Brandon Jennings would be perfect here, with arenas, butler, Jamison, and Jennings running the floor… WOW! I personally think Brandon Jennings is going to be a BIG time STUD! And if the wiz can get him… just WOW!

#8 Charlotte – Another surprise they landed #7, #13, #5.

Logically: They have a log jam at the pg position, and again without any true front court player they might just have to go with the best available player but the question is… who is the best available player? Tyreke Evans maybe?

Personally: During workouts I have a feeling Tyrekes gonna impress and he’s gonna go back to his more natural position at the sg spot, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they traded this pick for a more established veteran front court player, or maybe even a tyler hansbrough with a latter pick, if tyreke does come here… watch larry brown become a almost allen Iverson type of influence to tyreke (does that make sense? Well you know what I mean)

#9 GoldenState – Landed #11, #9, #10.

Logically: I don’t know what’s going on with Nellie and his gang, so there is not a lot of logic here.

Personally: I’m gonna pretend I just took down an entire bottle of patron, and I’m grabbing jrue holiday! I think Nellie would consider liposuction if Brandon Jennings were still here but I think NOT! I think jrue holiday will be the BIG surprise during workouts and you know how Nellie loves combo tweener sg’s the more the merrier! Ty Lawson would fit perfectly here too, but I think it’s going to be jrue… I see jrue developing a very similar game to rajon rondo, and I have a feeling he’s gonna turn out to be a better pro than tyreke evans.

#10 Minnesota – What tough luck for these guys, I feel bad for mcchale! But they landed #9, #10, #13.

Logically: Well they need a pg, although Demarr Derozan is the best player available. They got a decent front court with Jefferson, love, cardinal, maybe a ty Lawson, or eric maynor.

Personally: I’d have to go with eric maynor here, I think maynors a STUD! And ty Lawson wouldn’t fit with the wolves, derozan is the best talent available but they have mike miller, corey brewer, carney. I think they will be wasting a pick in drafting derozan… I say they go with maynor.

#11 Toronto -
DwadeOverLebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #21
DwadeOverLebron

mannnn hopefully i'll finish this one up later im pooped! anyways just wanted to say with the #16 pick the bulls will select tyler hansbrough!!!!!!!

okbye
Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #22
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Fully agree with you about #3 being too high for Hill. I don't see him being anything more then a version of Chris Wilcox.

Also agree about Clippers needing to take Clark. Perfect fit for Dunleavy and will push Thornton to the bench
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #23
DwadeOverLebron

i haven't watched too many clippers games, but y would u want thornton on the bench? isn't he there most consistent non injury prone player?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #24
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwadeOverLebron
i haven't watched too many clippers games, but y would u want thornton on the bench? isn't he there most consistent non injury prone player?

No, he is extremelly inconsistent, and would prefer to take a fadeaway jumper over guys such as Matt Bonner, Kyle Korver, Brian Scalabrine, Brian Cardinal, when he has the athleticism to go past them and jam it down someones throat. On top of that, he is extremelly ineffecient and doesn't have a go to move, along with being a mediocre defender. I was high on Thornton after his showing last year, but he has dissapointed me greatly.

I just figure he would be better coming off the bench, where, all he would have to focus on is instant offense.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #25
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nice job on this writeup. I wouldnt have the patience. Kudos for you.

I have no clue about Eric Maynor. Any insight what kind of PG he is? Can he defend?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #26
WhySoInsecure?
ILL WILL RUNS NYC

WhySoInsecure? is considered somewhat coolWhySoInsecure? is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwadeOverLebron
MAN! thats impressive dood! that must have took you forever to write up! REPS to you man! some of you are gonna think im a loser for doing this, and others might consider me a genius but i have this really old bingo set and man its gotta be like 20 yrs old! anyways theres 250 little wooden balls with bingo #'s on em so i put numbers on em 1 through 14, for instance i marked 63 balls with the #1 on em, and 45 balls with the #2 on em, and 44 balls with #3, 30 with #4... whatever the odds were so on and so forth, and what i did was simulated a lottery, since i wanted to make this as realistic as possible, i did the lottery 3 times, i wanted to do 4 but i couldn't take doing another round, so after each lottery i wrote down which team went where and averaged it all out and decided to seed them out according to the averages... and all i gotta say is wow at the results! BTW the real draft positions is only a couple of days away MAY 19th! Here are my results... with the first pick of the 2009 nba draft...

#1 CLIPPERS (OKC) - they had the third worst record in the league, but during my lottery selection they got 1st twice and 3rd once.

Logically: Anyways this is a gimme anyone with the #1 overall will grab blake right? but if you look at the clips... i wouldn't call it loaded in the front court but they got some good size on paper! zach, camby, kaman, thornton, deandre.

Personally: I say they're going to trade this pick to OKC, and on my board OKC has the #3 overall pick, watch OKC to trade the #3 and next years 1st rounder and CASH for the rights to hometown hero blake griffin. somehow i think OKC is going to wind up with blake, and david stern and his hometown hero business revenue engine will keep on churning... see derrick rose, lebron james.

#2 Kings (knicks)- the kings landed #2 all THREE TIMES!!!! LOL that was pretty funny.

Logically: The kings need as many pieces as possible posting the worst record in the league, so they draft POSSIBLY the best player available potentially in ricky rubio.

Personally: If they land this high and considering how weak this draft is, i say they trade it too the knicks who i have drafting at #4 and also next years pick just like what OKC and the clipps did up above, i think the kings are gonna gamble on the fact that the knicks suck! and they will also next year... anyways the knicks grab dantoni's guy in ricky rubio which will be a perfect fit basketball wise and economically.

#3 OKC (clips) - they landed #3, #4, and #1 in my lottery.

Logically: If they don't pull the trade with the clips i say they grab Hasheem thabeet without question, but i think OKC somehow under the magic of stern will wind up with blake!

Personally: I think the trade goes through with the clips and the clips select james harden, the clips are pretty solid up front and i know they gotta explosive scorer in gordon but i think when its all said and done, nba execs will all agree that james harden is a BIG BIG TIME player and the clipps might have found someone to FINALLY build around, i think hardens a future all star.

#4 Knicks (Kings) - The surprise team that jumped into the #4 spot, they landed #4, #6, and #4 in my lottery.

Logically: If the trade doesn't go thru, i either think they will trade down to grab either brandon jennings or stephen curry, but i don't think any teams will be willing to jump up to this spot either, so my guess is they will grab either brandon jennings or hasheem thabeet.

Personally: I think the trade goes thru since it makes sense for both teams, and i think the kings will pick hasheem thabeet, you can't teach size and as the kings are in the starting process of gutting there team, they'll grab thabeet along with a new tough defensive identity.

#5 Memphis - Landed #5, #7 and #6.

Logically: No brainer here, Jordan Hill since they need a PF.

Personally: I'm not too big on jordan hill, he seems a little awkward to me still, but they need a PF and altho he's a little rough on the offensive side of things the grizz arn't askin him to be a offensive force just yet, he'll be a good hustle rebound defensive player.

#6 Milwaukee - Another surprise here as they landed #6, #5, and #8.

Logically: I’m not sure if they are going to sign sessions or not, but knowing skiles ill say they do and watch them to either try to trade down or go after earl clark since there isn’t any pf worthy of this selection, but if they don’t decide to resign sessions than look for them to trade down and try to nab Stephen curry, ty Lawson, or eric maynor… I dunno I just can’t see Brandon Jennings and skiles coexisting.

Personally: If a trade is not possible I will try to grab the best player available and I think that will be mr. earl clark, I don’t think he knows how good he can become, I know they got rich Jefferson but you just don’t pass up a talent like clark… I don’t know why but I see eric maynor being a skiles type of guy, watch for a possible trade down for maynor.

#7 Wizards – HOW in the..?!? yess they finished #7 in my lottery pick with a #8, #8, #7.

Logically: With all there players back I see them finally grabbing a pg, or a center, but with out any true front court players worthy of this pick, they should be ecstatic to see Brandon Jennings still here, but they might flirt with a Stephen curry pick.

Personally: I think Brandon Jennings would be perfect here, with arenas, butler, Jamison, and Jennings running the floor… WOW! I personally think Brandon Jennings is going to be a BIG time STUD! And if the wiz can get him… just WOW!

#8 Charlotte – Another surprise they landed #7, #13, #5.

Logically: They have a log jam at the pg position, and again without any true front court player they might just have to go with the best available player but the question is… who is the best available player? Tyreke Evans maybe?

Personally: During workouts I have a feeling Tyrekes gonna impress and he’s gonna go back to his more natural position at the sg spot, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they traded this pick for a more established veteran front court player, or maybe even a tyler hansbrough with a latter pick, if tyreke does come here… watch larry brown become a almost allen Iverson type of influence to tyreke (does that make sense? Well you know what I mean)

#9 GoldenState – Landed #11, #9, #10.

Logically: I don’t know what’s going on with Nellie and his gang, so there is not a lot of logic here.

Personally: I’m gonna pretend I just took down an entire bottle of patron, and I’m grabbing jrue holiday! I think Nellie would consider liposuction if Brandon Jennings were still here but I think NOT! I think jrue holiday will be the BIG surprise during workouts and you know how Nellie loves combo tweener sg’s the more the merrier! Ty Lawson would fit perfectly here too, but I think it’s going to be jrue… I see jrue developing a very similar game to rajon rondo, and I have a feeling he’s gonna turn out to be a better pro than tyreke evans.

#10 Minnesota – What tough luck for these guys, I feel bad for mcchale! But they landed #9, #10, #13.

Logically: Well they need a pg, although Demarr Derozan is the best player available. They got a decent front court with Jefferson, love, cardinal, maybe a ty Lawson, or eric maynor.

Personally: I’d have to go with eric maynor here, I think maynors a STUD! And ty Lawson wouldn’t fit with the wolves, derozan is the best talent available but they have mike miller, corey brewer, carney. I think they will be wasting a pick in drafting derozan… I say they go with maynor.

#11 Toronto -
http://www.realgm.com/src_lottosim.php
WhySoInsecure? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #27
el gringos
Decent college freshman

el gringos is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

I have no clue about Eric Maynor. Any insight what kind of PG he is? Can he defend?

Atleast you can admit to no knowing much about maynor- most here that do know all know the same thing- that he is listed as a mid 1st rounder by the "experts"

From the little I've seen, he isn't big- seems quick and a good ball handler and atleast has the athletisism to be a defender- I like him, don't know if I love him as a prospect- to me he seems one of those that you'd need to work out and see in person to get a better idea which is something we don't get to do- but if nbadraft net or whatever rates him higher or lower so will the opinion on ish- to answer you, no clue but seems to have the ability to be a player whether its starter or backup pg I don't know
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

I guessed the Sixers would look at Maynor at 17 (which I figure is why you ask). In my string, I had Jennings falling to them there (which I figure would be a dream scenario for you).
I like Maynor all right. I'd say he's got a shot to be a real plus defender. He's 6-2, but he's long. And he's really quick and athletic. And coming out of VCU, they play a particularly frenetic style of defense, so he's been schooled, and he's agressive defensively. Offensively, he's a guy who'll really push the tempo, and while it may not have the asthetic of what it looks like when someone like Lawson does it, he'll be effective. Not great, but effective. And he won't stop attacking the rim. That's his game. His weakness is a really awkward shot. In fact, if he had any real jumper at all, he would have been an ACC player instead of playing at VCU out of high school. He did work it to the point of becoming effective though, so perhaps it'll continue to develop, but there's definitely a cieling on him as a shooter.

I don't know if you remember him, but he kind of reminds me of Gary Grant, a really physical, agressive, athletic PG who floated around for a while in the nineties. He had some good seasons in Miami.

He and Teague grade out pretty close to me, and this was another choice I was torn on. Teague's got so much pure offense, and he's got the potential to be a legit catch and shoot guy, that I really though pairing him with both Iggy and Thad would make sense, because those guys can create shots for him. But something about Maynor's physicality and aggressive approach feels like the type of player Philly has been built around lately. Maynor's is on a much different level than Teague defensively.

Last edited by Thorpesaurous : 05-16-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I guessed the Sixers would look at Maynor at 17 (which I figure is why you ask). In my string, I had Jennings falling to them there (which I figure would be a dream scenario for you).
I like Maynor all right. I'd say he's got a shot to be a real plus defender. He's 6-2, but he's long. And he's really quick and athletic. And coming out of VCU, they play a particularly frenetic style of defense, so he's been schooled, and he's agressive defensively. Offensively, he's a guy who'll really push the tempo, and while it may not have the asthetic of what it looks like when someone like Lawson does it, he'll be effective. Not great, but effective. And he won't stop attacking the rim. That's his game. His weakness is a really awkward shot. In fact, if he had any real jumper at all, he would have been an ACC player instead of playing at VCU out of high school. He did work it to the point of becoming effective though, so perhaps it'll continue to develop, but there's definitely a cieling on him as a shooter.

I don't know if you remember him, but he kind of reminds me of Gary Grant, a really physical, agressive, athletic PG who floated around for a while in the nineties. He had some good seasons in Miami.

He and Teague grade out pretty close to me, and this was another choice I was torn on. Teague's got so much pure offense, and he's got the potential to be a legit catch and shoot guy, that I really though pairing him with both Iggy and Thad would make sense, because those guys can create shots for him. But something about Maynor's physicality and aggressive approach feels like the type of player Philly has been built around lately. Maynor's is on a much different level than Teague defensively.

Brandon Jennings would definately be a dream scenerio. Last time I was excited about a draft pick was Allen Iverson. Jennings wouldnt have the same feel but would draw more emotion out of me since AI was taken that is for sure. And I'm hoping Sixers look PG in this draft. It doesnt have your Deron Williams, Chris Paul or Derrick Rose. But it has some intriguing talents that are all bunched together talent wise where the seperation all depends on how much you value certain parts of thier games more.

And you got me sold on Maynor. I'm definately going to search some video footage just to see him in action because I dont think I've seen him play once. Gary Grant was a solid PG, i remember him well.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #30
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Something about his form is a bit...off when he shoots. Cant pinpoint it but its kinda flicked. But i guess if Shawn Marion can shoot the way he does why cant Eric Maynor? I had no idea this was the kid vs Duke who hit that shot. Damn. I've seen his team play but never really kept tabs on how much of a prospect he was. He's a fiesty son of a gun.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: