Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 02:27 AM   #121
JayGuevara
Hellbound
 
JayGuevara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,746
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
You're right. Statistics can be distorted and misleading. You using Pau Gasol's stat line is a terrible argument for that though.

When these stats show this big of a decrease in crime, it's not misleading or distorted. There are too many statistics for it to be considered a coincidence/misleading/distorted.

These are cold hard facts. It's a fact that states are safer with CHL laws in place. Stop ignoring them.
There are already 11 public schools in the USA that have legalized CHLs on campus. And guess what, no suicides, no gun accidents, no suicides and no murders. 80 semesters, thousands of students. And people still go to these schools.


Plus, you do realize that those dumbasses could already be carrying a gun?

Perhaps. But it still doesn't change the fact that I personally would rather take my chances with a fraction of the dumbasses carrying guns than all of them doing so. If the laws stated they could, I'm sure every idiot that could afford a handgun would buy one and carry it around (and money obviously doesn't buy intelligence) And especially our society, we'd all gobble up being able to carry a gun at all times. It's like being able to play with your dick twice as much.

And I don't think any school is a safe place for guns. Elementary/middle school, obviously not cuz they're children still. High schools obviously not because there's a lot of teenage angst and stupid kids. Colleges, NO, because I know how much I have drank on a college campus, and I know how many fights I've seen at college campuses, almost always because of drinking. Imagine how south the situation could have gone if the drunk idiots had guns instead of just slurred speech and wobbly motor skills.

As far as I'm concerned, the less people walking around with loaded guns on them at any time or place the better.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #122
mbell75
Another title in LA :)
 
mbell75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,397
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
If anything, these incidents support those that are pro-gun.

If a dude comes up to you and tries to rob you, what do you do if you dont have a gun? Run and get shot or give up your sh!t and still maybe get killed?

Well, there have been REAL LIFE INCIDENTS when this has happened and the victim had a gun and shot the robber. Yes, it's tragic the robber died but he had it coming.

And if some "psycho" starts shooting people in the mall than a CHL owner can shoot down the "psycho." The psycho is the one who gets the gun illegaly. You cant stop that. You can stop the amount of people he kills by taking action.

So what then? We go back to the wild west where everyone has guns and shoots each other? Yea, great way to solve the issue Statistics show that owning a gun actually increases your chance of being shot ALOT more.

Most of the time when someone like a robber pulls a gun, they have no intent of using it, they are trying to scare someone into doing what they want. You pull out a gun to defend yourself and guess what? You are most likely getting shot before you can fire off a round. Is that really worth money or whatever they robber was intending to take? I think not.
mbell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #123
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,562
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCY
The actual sign was already posted.


This is the POS property people are willing to kill over? Amazing. It makes you wonder what gets into someone that makes them loathe other people so much that they become such hate-filled lunatics. It's not just that they're idiots, there are plenty of people without much upstairs who still are civil to their fellow man (me for example ).

There was a guy in my town years back that had swum across a lake, got too tired to swim back so he pulled himself up on some one's pier to rest. The owner of the pier came out with a shotgun and ordered the guy off his property. He tried to swim back, got tired and drowned. The shotgun dude watched him go under and did nothing. No charges were ever filed because no crime was committed. Sad, but I guess you can't control some one's inhumanity toward others.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #124
lazerface
everything must go
 
lazerface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 1,364
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

lazerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #125
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,562
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerface

What'ya bet they cut each other's hair.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #126
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,735
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75
So what then? We go back to the wild west where everyone has guns and shoots each other? Yea, great way to solve the issue Statistics show that owning a gun actually increases your chance of being shot ALOT more.

Most of the time when someone like a robber pulls a gun, they have no intent of using it, they are trying to scare someone into doing what they want. You pull out a gun to defend yourself and guess what? You are most likely getting shot before you can fire off a round. Is that really worth money or whatever they robber was intending to take? I think not.
Yup ok I'll just be the good submissive boy and never try and fight back let who ever take what ever they want... Ya bull****. if you pull a gun on me and I'm packing I'll prob start handing him stuff like my wallet changes w/e and than as he goes down to look at the wallet either go for my gun if i have it or rush him and knock him and knock him over.

Who knows how crazy the psycho is could want to kill me just because I'm a witness to his crime.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #127
Hawker
Repeal FATCA
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,192
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75
So what then? We go back to the wild west where everyone has guns and shoots each other? Yea, great way to solve the issue Statistics show that owning a gun actually increases your chance of being shot ALOT more.

Most of the time when someone like a robber pulls a gun, they have no intent of using it, they are trying to scare someone into doing what they want. You pull out a gun to defend yourself and guess what? You are most likely getting shot before you can fire off a round. Is that really worth money or whatever they robber was intending to take? I think not.

That's what people thought the world was going to be like...people pulling guns in the parking lot and in traffic if the CHL law was passed and guess what...it hasnt happened. Once again, you anti-gun people are basing all your reasons off FUCKING MOVIES. How retarded are you people? This aint no will smith tommy lee jones wild west shoot out. This is real life.

Quit denying the facts. Quit denying the statistics. Attackers are less likely to attack places where people may be carrying a gun rather than places that dont. This is fact.

Quit catering to the criminal.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #128
BRabbiT
....
 
BRabbiT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .....
Posts: 5,451
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quit denying the facts. [/quote]

Got a link?
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #129
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,539
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Yup ok I'll just be the good submissive boy and never try and fight back let who ever take what ever they want... Ya bull****. if you pull a gun on me and I'm packing I'll prob start handing him stuff like my wallet changes w/e and than as he goes down to look at the wallet either go for my gun if i have it or rush him and knock him and knock him over.

Who knows how crazy the psycho is could want to kill me just because I'm a witness to his crime.

I think you're too tough for ISH.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #130
Smokee
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,280
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
That's what people thought the world was going to be like...people pulling guns in the parking lot and in traffic if the CHL law was passed and guess what...it hasnt happened. Once again, you anti-gun people are basing all your reasons off FUCKING MOVIES. How retarded are you people? This aint no will smith tommy lee jones wild west shoot out. This is real life.

Quit denying the facts. Quit denying the statistics. Attackers are less likely to attack places where people may be carrying a gun rather than places that dont. This is fact.

Quit catering to the criminal.


First of all its common sense the more guns you have in any one area, its more likely there will be more accidental gun deaths.

Your statistics are skewed because lax gun legalization laws aren't present in high crime cities. So its easy to pretend there is a higher crime rate or gun deaths in places where gun laws are tight. Theres a reason why D.C. has strict gun laws, and not this idea that if everyone had guns it'd be safer. Thats the most ass backwards logic i've ever heard.

As a robber, burglar, attacker on any level i would not be nearly as afraid of the guy i'm going at having a gun considering i'm the attacker. Maybe it'd make me a little worried if i were burglarizing, but all in all i wouldn't go into any crime thinking they are sitting there waiting for me with a shotgun in their hand, more than me having a handgun to their head, and their shotgun tucked away in some cabinet or handgun in some holster. You think your CHuck Norris where you can grab it out faster than i can shoot you in your head? yeah right, you'd be shaking and pissing in your pants.

I'm not against people owning a gun for home protection but the way some of you push gun rights, especially this ridiculously stupid idea of idiots on college campuses packiing is some of the dumbest **** i've ever heard in my life. Its why i'll lmao if that ever went into effect at any Texas school, and there being accidental gun deaths as a result. I just hope the people who make up retard legislation like that end up responsible in some way for those accidental gun deaths. This hick Texas couple are getting what they deserve, and i bet there are a lot of people just as paranoid that are big gun advocates who are the last people that should own a gun all things considered.

Why is it always the extremely paranoid people who are the biggest gun advocates? And they are generally the last people on earth that should have them?
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #131
jbot
Future D1 Dad
 
jbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,256
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

imagine that. backwoods family w/ a confederate flag waving proudly on their property.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #132
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,735
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
imagine that. backwoods family w/ a confederate flag waving proudly on their property.
seriously I know one person who lives maybe 3 miles away that had a flag like that.. and yuck they were no good sobs... tried to steal stuff out of some house over by mine and the they got caught by the owner. must have all got taken to jail because the flag is gone and no rusty old pickups... I used to bike by there house. they were always looking real sketchy must have been meth heads...

sorry for the rant but ya confederate flags are really ****ing stupid. Only place I would ever consider one is if I had a 69 charger in orange
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #133
Hawker
Repeal FATCA
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,192
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGuevara
Perhaps. But it still doesn't change the fact that I personally would rather take my chances with a fraction of the dumbasses carrying guns than all of them doing so. If the laws stated they could, I'm sure every idiot that could afford a handgun would buy one and carry it around (and money obviously doesn't buy intelligence) And especially our society, we'd all gobble up being able to carry a gun at all times. It's like being able to play with your dick twice as much.

And I don't think any school is a safe place for guns. Elementary/middle school, obviously not cuz they're children still. High schools obviously not because there's a lot of teenage angst and stupid kids. Colleges, NO, because I know how much I have drank on a college campus, and I know how many fights I've seen at college campuses, almost always because of drinking. Imagine how south the situation could have gone if the drunk idiots had guns instead of just slurred speech and wobbly motor skills.

As far as I'm concerned, the less people walking around with loaded guns on them at any time or place the better.

So nobody has ever drank on a college campus at CSU, blue ridge comm college or 11 public schools in Utah where CHL owners are allowed to carry guns?

Once again, I have facts. You dont. 80 semesters...thousands of students...11 public schools. Not one gun accident, not one "omfg im drunk im going to shoot people" accidents, no gun thefts and no murders.

Sorry, once again you're wrong. Drinking happens off campus more often than on campus as well.

Last edited by Hawker : 05-11-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #134
Hawker
Repeal FATCA
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,192
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
First of all its common sense the more guns you have in any one area, its more likely there will be more accidental gun deaths.

Your statistics are skewed because lax gun legalization laws aren't present in high crime cities. So its easy to pretend there is a higher crime rate or gun deaths in places where gun laws are tight. Theres a reason why D.C. has strict gun laws, and not this idea that if everyone had guns it'd be safer. Thats the most ass backwards logic i've ever heard.

As a robber, burglar, attacker on any level i would not be nearly as afraid of the guy i'm going at having a gun considering i'm the attacker. Maybe it'd make me a little worried if i were burglarizing, but all in all i wouldn't go into any crime thinking they are sitting there waiting for me with a shotgun in their hand, more than me having a handgun to their head, and their shotgun tucked away in some cabinet or handgun in some holster. You think your CHuck Norris where you can grab it out faster than i can shoot you in your head? yeah right, you'd be shaking and pissing in your pants.

I'm not against people owning a gun for home protection but the way some of you push gun rights, especially this ridiculously stupid idea of idiots on college campuses packiing is some of the dumbest **** i've ever heard in my life. Its why i'll lmao if that ever went into effect at any Texas school, and there being accidental gun deaths as a result. I just hope the people who make up retard legislation like that end up responsible in some way for those accidental gun deaths. This hick Texas couple are getting what they deserve, and i bet there are a lot of people just as paranoid that are big gun advocates who are the last people that should own a gun all things considered.

Why is it always the extremely paranoid people who are the biggest gun advocates? And they are generally the last people on earth that should have them?

Considering this has happened before and people have lived because they've brought their guns out and shot the criminal, then yes they can be chuck norris. I've provided real life incidents yet you still deny the facts. Very pathetic. Even if you arent fast enough, you give yourself the opportunity to defend yourself over possibly getting killed anyways. Sweet reasoning. "You're gonna die anyways if you have a gun or not. So what's the point?"

My statistics arent skewed. When crime rate goes down in every single state the year after they passed a CHL law, it's no coincidence. Sorry. It's not terrible logic. Once again, why do policemen bring guns to a public shooting? You arent making any sense whatsoever. How is the amount of murders being cut by 50% in Texas a "skewed" statistic. It isnt. It's a real fact.

How come there's been no accidental gun deaths in 11 schools over 80 semesters over a thousand of students.

You guys present situations on campus like it never happens off campus. People drink off campus all the time yet you all are not complaining about that. There isnt some magical line.

It's time you gun haters provide some real facts. You just keep on bringing up sh!t that happens in movies.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #135
JayGuevara
Hellbound
 
JayGuevara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,746
Default Re: 7 year old shot dead in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
So nobody has ever drank on a college campus at CSU, blue ridge comm college or 11 public schools in Utah where CHL owners are allowed to carry guns?

Once again, I have facts. You dont. 80 semesters...thousands of students...11 public schools. Not one gun accident, not one "omfg im drunk im going to shoot people" accidents, no gun thefts and no murders.

Sorry, once again you're wrong. Drinking happens off campus more often than on campus as well.

Community College's don't have the majority of students living and partying on campus, at a community college people generally go to their classes and leave.

11 schools in Utah you say? Isn't Utah the state with the strictest liquor laws where beer/and liquor are "watered down" and have less alcohol content than anywhere else, and/or the prices are ridiculously expensive? Sounds like that could have a distinct effect on drunk idiots waving around guns. No?

See, there's clearly a lot more variables involved than "Well, this statistic shows that there's no problems with people walkin around strapped up, so it'd be the same everywhere"
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy