Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 05-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Division 1

How good do you have to be to play at a small Division One school?
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Division 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
How good do you have to be to play at a small Division One school?
There are 347 Division I teams. I believe they have 13 scholarship players, and 2 walkons. So 347x13 is 4,511. You need to be one of the top 4,511 for a schollie, or top 5,205 to make the team and then get your schollie.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
timlush
I brick open layups

timlush has an OK reputation so far

timlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
There are 347 Division I teams. I believe they have 13 scholarship players, and 2 walkons. So 347x13 is 4,511. You need to be one of the top 4,511 for a schollie, or top 5,205 to make the team and then get your schollie.
That's a silly way to put it. There are countless guys in Division II or even Division III that are better than plenty of Division I scholarship players.

Also, who told you that you can only have two walkons? You can have 20, if you want. There's no limit on walkons.

To go back to the original question, there's absolutely no way to quantify it other than the aforementioned number of available scholarships, which is a terrible way to try and quantify how good you have to be.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I don't think you need to be all that good to play at a small D1 school. My teammates in high school played at NJIT, Cornell, Rider, etc. and I would not consider them exceptional nor near the best players I've played against. I've played against guys who went to Rutgers, SHU, Illinois, St. John's, etc. and they were so many levels better players than my teammates you'd have to measure the difference in miles.

Most of the time it's just about height, grades, and a specialization. Our center was 6'9" (or so he says, I'm pretty sure he was more around 6'7") and didn't play ball till high school and got a few D1 offers from the Ivies and no name conferences. He was slow, had crappy hands, but was a decent rebounder. Also, the only time he had big games is when he is playing ranked guys. He'll get destroyed by a 6'2" no talent guy, but then I remember we had two ranked 7 footers come in and he'd hold them both to like 8, 6 points respecitively while he would have 15/14/4 blks. It was one of those oddities I guess. Our shooting guard, 6'3" also our leading scorer went to NJIT and he wasn't out of this world where I couldn't check him during practice. I think he ended up bench riding out there too. He was mildly athletic with decent handles which gave him an edge, but his shot was ridiculously streaky. He'll score 20 in one game, get 5 in the next. He could drive with both hands which I suspect is the only reason he got a D1 offer though.

I won't go so far to say that D1 offers are easy to come by, but I would say you don't need as much talent as people make it out to be, especially for smaller schools.

Last edited by wang4three : 05-11-2009 at 03:25 PM.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

lukeridnour08 has decent reputation

Unless your out of this world good, A lot of it is where your at and who you know.

For example-
This guy I use to play AAU with in middle school had 0 D1 offers at the end of his Senior year. He had some interest, but no offers.
With time winding down and Knowing that his offer probably won't come, his HS coach sent a tape of his highlights to Davidson.

Normally, Davidson probably wouldn't even look at it, let alone take it seriously.
However, the coach is a longtime friend of one of the Davidson Assistant coaches.
The coaches looked at the tape, offered him a scholarship, and now he's headed over there next year.

Don't get me wrong, this guy is pretty damn good and Worth a D1 scholership, however, there is atleast 5 other players around him w/ his height (6'8), athletic ability and skills.
There all playing at D2's or CC's next year.
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Batman
High School Starter

Batman has not been impressing people

The best D-II players/teams would eat small Division I players/teams alive no joke.

Findlay i believe won the championship in D-II this year.
They signed Aaron Robinson out of Trotwood High School (Ohio)
A 6'3 guard 185lbs guard that jumps out the gym.

You think the white boys at Cornell can compete with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2irs3s-3E4
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I don't think you need to be all that good to play at a small D1 school. My teammates in high school played at NJIT, Cornell, Rider, etc. and I would not consider them exceptional nor near the best players I've played against. I've played against guys who went to Rutgers, SHU, Illinois, St. John's, etc. and they were so many levels better players than my teammates you'd have to measure the difference in miles.

Which teammates played at Cornell? I'm a diehard CU hoops fan, I might know him.

Cornell has come a long long way since the early 2000s, when perhaps you could consider them a small and crappy basketball team. They are now back to back a back-to-back NCAA tournament team, getting legit recruits in terms of Ivy play, and have stepped up to a level where the school expects them to win an NCAA Tourny game next year as a 13 seed (and not just be a participant).

Last edited by AppleNader : 05-12-2009 at 04:09 PM.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
The best D-II players/teams would eat small Division I players/teams alive no joke.

Actually they could.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman

Easily. Harvard beat Boston College (ranked top 25 at the time) this year and they only finished 6-8 in the Ivy League, while Cornell was 11-3 and 21-10 overall.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Cornell is probably a bad example, but the point remains true. I played in MAAC, and when I was growing up played a lot with the University of Bridgeport who was among the top DII programs in the country. There's no question those UB teams were better than mine, and we made an NCAA tournament. For one thing, the allowences for grades varries at the lower level, so there are times where those teams are just getting better talent than the lower end DI schools. Secondly, there can be a different approach at the lower levels. At the DI level you almost have to go about things in the traditional way, with big guys who just aren't very good. But at the DII level, you can go with really small teams. Those UB teams played a three time DII all american at PF named Lambert Shell who was 6-4 and got a shot as a SG with the Jazz. But they ran like crazy. Many years earlier they had a pro ... Manute Bol.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I never even answered the question.

How good do you have to be. I think it's fair to say you have to at least be a really good high school player. Not an all-state player necessarily, but certainly an all league caliber guy. A starter, and among the two or three best players on a high school team.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #13
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

lukeridnour08 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I never even answered the question.

How good do you have to be. I think it's fair to say you have to at least be a really good high school player. Not an all-state player necessarily, but certainly an all league caliber guy. A starter, and among the two or three best players on a high school team.

LOL. Among the 2 or 3 best players on your team??

So every HS team has 2 or 3 D1 players that are seniors, 2 or 3 D1 players that are Juniors, 2 or 3 D1 players that are soph, ect.. hahahahaahahaaha

And LOL at people saying it isnt that hard to go D1.
Its one thing to walk-on to a low major D1 team, its a whole nother thing to get a scholership to a D1 team.

Now a days, unless your a late bloomer, you pretty much have to play for an elite AAU team. If not, you can almost forget about it.

Unless your an elite 4 or 5 star recruit, a college coach aint going to be wasting his time going to HS games to scout out players.

Therefor, you have to play for an elite AAU team that plays in the elite tournaments. I played in the top division of elite tournaments for elite teams. There are coaches everywhere. I have also played for sh!tty teams in elite tournaments, there are no coaches anywhere.

So, pretty much, you need to be on an Elite AAU team that is going to be playing in the top bracket of their tournaments.
Obviously you need to have a good HS season to get invited onto one of these teams.

If none of these AAU teams have contacted you, then your probably not good enough.

For those of you who will ask, I played for Arizona Magic and the Arizona stars.
I have played against over 10 Mcdonalds all-americans.
I have played against Jerred Bayless over 50 times in practices.

I was however a bench warmer and never saw the floor. I went through the program(s) since I was in 5th grade though so they weren't gonna cut me.
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #14
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

There are a lot of division 1 schools out there.

And as I said, you have to be AT LEAST a really good high school player. There are plenty of teams that send three guys to DI schools every year.
Most small DI programs recruit locally, so you don't have to be the best player in the world to get in, but you have to be well respected regionally. And the majority of schools are still academic first, so if you can play, and carry the grades, and want to play, and are willing to put in the work, you can get onto a D1 roster. Not an SEC or ACC roster, but a DI roster sure.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
STelfair31
National High School Star

STelfair31 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeridnour08
Unless your out of this world good, A lot of it is where your at and who you know.
For example-
This guy I use to play AAU with in middle school had 0 D1 offers at the end of his Senior year. He had some interest, but no offers.
With time winding down and Knowing that his offer probably won't come, his HS coach sent a tape of his highlights to Davidson.

Normally, Davidson probably wouldn't even look at it, let alone take it seriously.
However, the coach is a longtime friend of one of the Davidson Assistant coaches.
The coaches looked at the tape, offered him a scholarship, and now he's headed over there next year.

Don't get me wrong, this guy is pretty damn good and Worth a D1 scholership, however, there is atleast 5 other players around him w/ his height (6'8), athletic ability and skills.
There all playing at D2's or CC's next year.

100% true. Who you know, thats what its all about...

As far as AAU, all you need is to dominate your league, if you play in 3A-6A school and kill your league, you won't need AAU as much as someone that goes to an A-2A school. the competition is at 3A-6A... AAU for those kids is just more playing.
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: