Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default Asians Were Being Attacked Because Of Their Race.

http://www.citybeat967.co.uk/dynamic...rticle_id=8938

PSNI OFFICER INJURED IN RACE ATTACK

by David Gordon

Published on 08/10/2006

A police officer was injured when he was called to a suspected race hate attack on Friday night.

The officer was assaulted in Dundonald, near Belfast, when he and colleagues went to Leathan Square where a youths were reported to be causing a disturbance.

When they arrived they discovered two Asian men had been injured in a suspected racist attack.

The officer was then also attacked and taken to hospital, but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

One of the Asian men suffered cuts to his face and the other bruises to his ribs.

One person was arrested after the incidents.

East Belfast councillor Jim Rodgers said: "This is deeply disturbing and worrying and I would condemn it utterly.

"Asian people have the right to live in our society without fear of being attacked by anyone.

"These attacks are on the increase and we need to show better understanding of other people."

Alliance Party councillor Michael Long said racist attacks could not be tolerated.

"I am appalled that two men could be picked upon for an attack just because of the colour of their skin," he said.

"Most people do not want anything to do with the minority that carries out such attacks.

"I welcome the fact the police moved quickly, and would call on anyone who saw anything to pass on any information they have."

Police saw the foreign nationals being attacked, chased one man and arrested him.

The PSNI District Commander in Castlereagh, Superintendent Brian Maguire, said officers sustained cuts and bruises and added all right-thinking people would be disgusted.

"I am happy to say that it is relatively unusual in this area. Any such incident is appalling and should be condemned."

He said the Asian victims should not have been targeted.

"It is a frightening experience for anybody to be confronted and attacked in this manner. Police have made one arrest and we know there was more than one person involved.

"They are part of the local community and they did nothing to deserve this attack."

http://www.citybeat967.co.uk/dynamic...rticle_id=8938
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far

thats just wrong.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:51 AM   #3
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

It is wrong.

Any chance it was a couple dudes Asian dudes wearing a bunch of gangsta-style clothing? Not saying that makes it any better I just have a hard time fathoming anyone randomly picking out an ASIAN to pick on.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Blue Bear
I airball my layups

Blue Bear has an OK reputation so far

this guy never really got picked on when he was alive.

Blue Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23370077-details/Asian+man+critical+after+'racist'+attack/article.do

Asian man critical after 'racist' attack

An Asian man was tonight fighting for his life following a suspected racist attack, police said.

The man, who has not been named, is in a critical condition following an altercation with a group of white men outside a supermarket in Leicester on Saturday evening.

Another Asian man suffered serious injuries in the incident, but was released from hospital following treatment.

A spokesman for Leicestershire Police said officers were "keeping an open mind" about the motive for the attack but do think it was racially motivated.

Detective Inspector Dave Richardson said: "We are appealing to anyone who witnessed the incident or who saw a group of possibly four or five men or youths in the area of Netherhall Road, near to Rosebarn Way, during Saturday evening to get in touch with us.

"Even the smallest amount of information could be vital to our inquiries.

"Investigations are in their early stage and we are trying to ascertain the circumstances leading up to this attack taking place. At this stage, we are keeping an open mind, but are treating the incident as a potential racially motivated crime."

The injured man was taken to the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham where his condition today was described as critical but stable.

Eight people, aged between 15 and 22, have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Anyone who witnessed the attack should call Leicestershire Police on 0116 222 2222, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23370077-details/Asian+man+critical+after+'racist'+attack/article.do
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

In the UK, "asian" means pakistani or indian; however, in the USA, "asian" means "oriental" (japanese, chinese, philipino, vietnamese, etc.)

They aren't talking about bruce lee "asian", this is brown people like me
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Blue Bear
I airball my layups

Blue Bear has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
In the UK, "asian" means pakistani or indian; however, in the USA, "asian" means "oriental" (japanese, chinese, philipino, vietnamese, etc.)

They aren't talking about bruce lee "asian", this is brown people like me

indian and pakistani are asian? this is new to me . . . lol ... i never knew it
Blue Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: