Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-09-2006, 03:49 AM   #16
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerRaider
You can use that argument for everybody hotsizzle. By your logic, Americans are actually British since the British colonized the United States and the United States was under British rule.

I used to hate Egyptians because they were against Christ and Israel, but I have a few friend that are Egyptian and they tell me they aren't all like that. so I can't judge them!!
But someone in my girlfriend family was shot dead over there because he was there during a study on Christ. One in many, but I don't know all the facts.
Just that they didn't permit it.
But I also have a belief that all races are 50/50 half good and half bad. Just that most bad parts get in powered.
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:53 AM   #17
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodeathgrip
I used to hate Egyptians because they were against Christ and Israel, but I have a few friend that are Egyptian and they tell me they aren't all like that. so I can't judge them!!
But someone in my girlfriend family was shot dead over there because he was there during a study on Christ. One in many, but I don't know all the facts.
Just that they didn't permit it.
But I also have a belief that all races are 50/50 half good and half bad. Just that most bad parts get in powered.

Don't hate all egyptians man!

I am all 100% for peace and I hate anyone who is racist and think themselves and their country as the better ones.

For you slow readers out there...Egypt is not 100% muslim so anyone that says "im egyptian" please dont automatically assume their muslim.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:57 AM   #18
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Don't hate all egyptians man!

I am all 100% for peace and I hate anyone who is racist and think themselves and their country as the better ones.

For you slow readers out there...Egypt is not 100% muslim so anyone that says "im egyptian" please dont automatically assume their muslim.

I don't at all any more just when I was young and stupid!! No disrespect intended!!!
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:04 AM   #19
hotsizzle
Superstar

I actually agree with you Lakeraider, Egyptians are arab, thats a fact. I was just referring to the history behind it since you and Lakerfreak were talking how egyptians came to be but I agree with what you're saying
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:08 AM   #20
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Yeah i agree too if you look to what i said in the PM

i said "they may be in the arab league NOW"
Old 10-09-2006, 04:48 AM   #21
LakerRaider
Great college starter

That's cool. Good discussion.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #22
NobleDrewAli
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default . . .

the 'arabization' of north africa, mesopotamia and the levant is an interesting subject. dictionary definition, an 'arab' is a native of the arabian peninsula -- present day saudi arabia, yemen and oman. overtime, an 'arab' has come to mean anyone who speaks arabic.

hence, the many thousand years of civilization in places like egypt are essentially shrouded racially by the fact that egypt was conquered militarily by arabs and a majority of the population eventually adopted the religion and language of the ruling class.

the rediculousness of considering any arab-speaker racially arab is illustrated well by the sudan. arabic-speaking sudanese consider themselves arabs. and most of the world considers them arab as well. when we hear of the atrocities in darfur it is always referred to as sudanese arabs killing sudanese blacks. the conflict there is often termed racially in the western press, arabs vs. blacks. but anyone who has ever seen a picture of the janjaweed (the so-called arab militias in sudan) would instantly recognize that these people are darker than the vast majority of african-americans.

its all just further evidence that race is a socially constructed category with little scientific basis.
NobleDrewAli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #23
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleDrewAli
the 'arabization' of north africa, mesopotamia and the levant is an interesting subject. dictionary definition, an 'arab' is a native of the arabian peninsula -- present day saudi arabia, yemen and oman. overtime, an 'arab' has come to mean anyone who speaks arabic.

hence, the many thousand years of civilization in places like egypt are essentially shrouded racially by the fact that egypt was conquered militarily by arabs and a majority of the population eventually adopted the religion and language of the ruling class.

the rediculousness of considering any arab-speaker racially arab is illustrated well by the sudan. arabic-speaking sudanese consider themselves arabs. and most of the world considers them arab as well. when we hear of the atrocities in darfur it is always referred to as sudanese arabs killing sudanese blacks. the conflict there is often termed racially in the western press, arabs vs. blacks. but anyone who has ever seen a picture of the janjaweed (the so-called arab militias in sudan) would instantly recognize that these people are darker than the vast majority of african-americans.

its all just further evidence that race is a socially constructed category with little scientific basis.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #24
NobleDrewAli

Default . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
Egyptians are orignally Egyptians. This goes back to the ancient egyptian civilizations where their language was made up of heiroglyphics and their religion consisted of many gods. As Islam grew in arabia (present day saudi arabia and iran and that whole part)..muslims took control of Egypt. So today, Egyptians are arabs but if you want to talk about what Egyptians originally are, they are not arabs..i guess you can call them meditrannian or something. And thats why among all the arab countries, one can identify an egyptian easiest because they dont trace back to arabs

this post is profound and ignorant all at the same time.

notice how hotsizzle identifies 'arabia' with 'present day saudi arabia and iran'. . . extreme ignorance, as iran is a persian nation, not arab.

iran and egypt are the ultimate examples of historically-dominant, pre-islamic nations. . .

one (egypt) not only became muslim but also 'arab.' . . . the other (iran/persia) is now virtually 100% muslim, but never lost its cultural identity as 'persian'.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #25
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Egypt is in Africa. Egyptians can be considered African. But people don't want to admit that, and instead try to say they are Arabian.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #26
NobleDrewAli

Default . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
Egypt is in Africa. Egyptians can be considered African. But people don't want to admit that, and instead try to say they are Arabian.

absolutely, egyptians are african. that is an unarguable geographic fact.

but is african a race?!

are egyptians the same race as the bushmen of the calimari?! are egyptians the same race as the dinka tribe (think=manute bol)?? are egyptians the same race as the yoruba in nigeria??? are egyptians the same race as the folks in darfur who are victims of 'genocide'???? are egytians the same race as the hutus in rwanda/burundi????? or are they the same race as the tutsis in rwanda/burundi???????

are egyptians who emigrate to america african-americans??! are they black?!?!??

you tell me.

. . .further evidence that race is a socially-constructed category, with no real scientific relevance. . .
Old 10-10-2006, 12:38 AM   #27
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleDrewAli

NobelDrewAli, I've always respected you as a poster, even in the old board, and I will continue to do so.

There are also alot of black people in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, and Qatar. The former Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Kuwait was black. In the Middle East, it's not race that's a big deal, but more like class and nationalism.

I believe that what's going on in Sudan is not about race or religion, but more about politics.

It's like what's going on in Somalia. There's civil war in Somalia; Somalian Muslims fighting against one another for control. However, if Ethiopia threatens Somalia's borders. Somalians will band together and defend Somalia against Ethiopia. In this instance, it's not about race. One could argue about religion since Ethiopia is a manily Christian country and Somalia is mainly a Muslim country, but in this case, it's all about nationalism and mostly politics.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #28
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige

Egyptians don't consider themselves African just like Saudi Arabians don't consider themselves Asian.

Egypt is a part of Africa, but they don't consider themselves African, they consider themselves as Arabs.

The same case goes for people from Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is a part of Asia, but they don't go around saying they are Asian or scream "Asian Pride!!!" They consider themselves as Arabs.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 AM   #29
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

It would be cool to consider myself african

but i look mexican/indian/Egyptian.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #30
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Actually to most people, if a Middle Eastern person was walking in a mostly white or mixed place (with no beard, hehehe) then most people would consider that person Italian or Mexican because they don't have that much contact with Middle Eastern people.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: