Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Default NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...

Quote:
Charles Barkley always was listed as 6-foot-6 in his NBA career, though he admitted in his book that he was 6-4. The Nuggets’ Carmelo Anthony, listed at 6-8, measured 6-6 1/4 at the NBA pre-draft camp. Michael Beasley was listed at 6-10 while a Kansas State Wildcat, is listed at 6-9 with the Miami Heat and measured 6-7 at the camp a year ago.

So you can’t blame ESPN.com’s Chad Ford for what he wrote a few weeks ago about Blake Griffin: "A surefire NBA stud if he doesn’t measure 6-foot-6, which, in this pessimistic environment, a few GMs fear he might.”

Skepticism is recommended when it comes to heights. Basketball players have been fudging their stature for decades.

But NBA general managers can rest a little easier. Griffin, the plum of this mediocre draft, stands 6-foot-9 in his bare stockings, 6-10 in shoes, which he is likely to wear during important games.

This information comes from multiple sources, including my eyeballs.

http://www.newsok.com/blake-griffins...ad_story_title

So the teams looking at Blake shouldn't be worried that he's a tweener who would be forced to play some 3.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...

Standing reach > height
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

I think Griffin is a minimum 6'7 3/4". Same Height as Carlos Boozer, but Griffith is a better athlete than Boozer.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Not huge, but plenty big to play the four with his level of athleticism. If his wingspan measures out impressive it's borderline big enough to play quality minutes at center.

In the Chad Ford article on ESPN about his draft prep they were raving about his ball handling and surprisingly good shooting as well. By no means a guarantee of success at the NBA level, but promising none the less. I hope the same team snags his younger brother.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

Are you aware that 6'10 w/ shoes on is probably a little above average height for a PF???
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Standing reach > height

He looks pretty lanky on film, at the very least not a alligator arm situation.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valliant13
Not huge, but plenty big to play the four with his level of athleticism. If his wingspan measures out impressive it's borderline big enough to play quality minutes at center.

In the Chad Ford article on ESPN about his draft prep they were raving about his ball handling and surprisingly good shooting as well. By no means a guarantee of success at the NBA level, but promising none the less. I hope the same team snags his younger brother.

Same article said he's a lot better defensively than we've seen. He was such a force for OU he had to limit himself so he wouldn't foul out, which does make some sense, though you'd like him to be able to go all out w/o committing fouls.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Same article said he's a lot better defensively than we've seen. He was such a force for OU he had to limit himself so he wouldn't foul out, which does make some sense, though you'd like him to be able to go all out w/o committing fouls.

It's was an interesting point. The fact that someone with his ups and toughness wasn't more of shotblocker always struck me as odd. It will be interesting to see how his games changes once he's not the first option, and can scrap a little more on D.

I just hope he doesn't wind on a dysfunctional team like the Kings or Wizards. If the Thunder snag him, and managed to swing that trade for Chandler (medical situation allowing) that would be a lethal core.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #9
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
I think Griffin is a minimum 6'7 3/4". Same Height as Carlos Boozer, but Griffith is a better athlete than Boozer.

StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #10
el gringos
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime

So the teams looking at Blake shouldn't be worried that he's a tweener who would be forced to play some 3.

I think some teams will be looking at him as a 3 anyway- to me he has the most superstar potential playing an orlando magic/new york knick style combo foreward or as a 3 on many if not most teams
el gringos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
I think some teams will be looking at him as a 3 anyway- to me he has the most superstar potential playing an orlando magic/new york knick style combo foreward or as a 3 on many if not most teams

There are no teams looking to play him at the 3. Even the Raps, would trade either Bosh or Bargs, before putting him at the 3 (where the Raps desperately needs help). It's not his skill set, it would hurt him on defense, and take him further from the basket where he does his most damage. He is a protypical 4, that will likely play some 5 when his team goes small (or maybe full time for a while if the Thunder draft him).
Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

He's going to be a legit PF.

I see his game translating well to the NBA, assuming he lands on a team he doesn't have to carry.

Griffin was a solid rebounder and defender, despite also carrying the team on offense. I don't think a lot of people realize how hard it is to carry a team both offensively and defensively.

If the Thunder can somehow land Griffin.... watch out.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #13
xx03xx
I hit open layups

Quote:
Standing reach > height
prove it
xx03xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #14
BRINKER

People said Beasley would be under sized and when I watched him before the draft I could see what they meant. Low and behold, he did measure shorter than expected.

With Griffin, I heard people say his height was a concern, but in watching him I never got the impression that he wasnt a definitive, solid NBA 4-man, in terms of size. Low and behold, he measured as such.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #15
NZ33
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
He's going to be a legit PF.

I see his game translating well to the NBA, assuming he lands on a team he doesn't have to carry.

Griffin was a solid rebounder and defender, despite also carrying the team on offense. I don't think a lot of people realize how hard it is to carry a team both offensively and defensively.

If the Thunder can somehow land Griffin.... watch out.

Yea the idea of Griffin on the Thunder is scary, they would have an excellent young core with a premier perimiter scorer in Durant, the low post presence of Griffen, and also young studs like Westbrook and Green. Add a few veteren roleplayers and you have a pretty dam good team in a few years.
NZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: