Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
depletedW
I Rep Mavs

depletedW has decent reputation
Default What should Mavs do this off-season?

They are not going to blow it up and trade Dirk. So what moves should be made with the little room the Mavs have to maneuver with?

I think Cuban/Donnie must finally admit that they have not surrounded Dirk with enough adequate support players that can complement his skills, and that they are not nearly as close to a title as they think. They need a sufficient interior player who is big, athletic and aggressive; I am going to burn the AAC to the ground if I see Dampier in a Maverick uniform ever again. They need a mentally tough perimeter player who can defend, score, pass etc. Stephen Jackson would be great if they could pry him away from the Warriors. And for God sake quit treating the draft like it is a damn joke. No more guys like Nick Fazekas and Pavel Podkolzin please!

Thoughts?
depletedW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
NastaMaverick
College superstar

NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What should Mavs do this off-season?

Sign and trade Kidd.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
Glo41
Mavs & Knicks 4ever

Glo41 has an OK reputation so far

1. Resign Bass
2. Resign Kidd to movable contract at around 2 or 3 years
3. Trade for a 2nd option (Redd, RJ, Carter, Shaq, JJohnson)
4. Trade for other impact players (Stephen Jackson, Mike Miller, Chandler, etc)
5. Sign one of the following to the MLE: Birdman, Ariza, Odom, or Artest.

With the draft pick, trade if necessary to make our team better.
Glo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
depletedW
I Rep Mavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo41
1. Resign Bass
2. Resign Kidd to movable contract at around 2 or 3 years
3. Trade for a 2nd option (Redd, RJ, Carter, Shaq, JJohnson)
4. Trade for other impact players (Stephen Jackson, Mike Miller, Chandler, etc)
5. Sign one of the following to the MLE: Birdman, Ariza, Odom, or Artest.

With the draft pick, trade if necessary to make our team better.
I wouldn't mind trading away the 22nd pick and trying to get somebody that can step in immediately, since Donnie and Cuban are just going to mess that pick up anyway. They won't be able to sign Odom, Artest, or Ariza since all of them will want more money than we can give them. I would love to get a legit 2nd guy without giving up too much.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Arti
I hit open layups

Arti has an OK reputation so far

I don't want Kidd back, and it sounds like he doesn't really want to be back either. I think we should trade for a PG like Felton or draft one. Need to sign Bass, and would also love to see the addition of someone like Birdman. We have some decent chips in our expiring contracts to try to get an actual main option as well.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Glo41
Mavs & Knicks 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by depletedW
I wouldn't mind trading away the 22nd pick and trying to get somebody that can step in immediately, since Donnie and Cuban are just going to mess that pick up anyway. They won't be able to sign Odom, Artest, or Ariza since all of them will want more money than we can give them. I would love to get a legit 2nd guy without giving up too much.
Ariza does not deserve anything more then the MLE. If a team pays him more, they are stupid.

Btw arti why do you not want Kidd back? If we manage to find a second star, Kidd as the PG would be ideal.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
depletedW
I Rep Mavs

Quote:
Ariza does not deserve anything more then the MLE. If a team pays him more, they are stupid.

Btw arti why do you not want Kidd back? If we manage to find a second star, Kidd as the PG would be ideal.
I agree Ariza should not get a huge contract, he has played well and deserves a little more money, but not a crazy amount. But the lakers will either over-pay him in fear of losing him, or some random team will become too infatuated with him and try to make him their free agent splash of the summer.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Glo41
Mavs & Knicks 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by depletedW
I agree Ariza should not get a huge contract, he has played well and deserves a little more money, but not a crazy amount. But the lakers will either over-pay him in fear of losing him, or some random team will become too infatuated with him and try to make him their free agent splash of the summer.
Good point. Whoever pays him more then then the MLE would be stupid.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
Arti
I hit open layups

Arti has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

The West is loaded with elite offensive PGs. Kidd can't defend anymore. I guess he could work well as a set up man if we get a second star, but there's no guarantee that we'd be able to find one. I think we'd be best served by a youth movement.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Glo41
Mavs & Knicks 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti
The West is loaded with elite offensive PGs. Kidd can't defend anymore. I guess he could work well as a set up man if we get a second star, but there's no guarantee that we'd be able to find one. I think we'd be best served by a youth movement.
I would like a youth movement as well (Maynor, Flynn, Teague?). Still though I find it hard to believe that we will find a young PG that can play better then Kidd did.

If we can sign Kidd cheap and to a movable contract, I see no reason not to. Besides, that young PG would be able to learn from Kidd, which would be a huge plus.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
goldenryan
I'm Back

goldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this board

trade dap for zack randolph. and if kidd wants more than 9mil a year, let him go.
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 AM   #12
Glo41
Mavs & Knicks 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenryan
trade dap for zack randolph. and if kidd wants more than 9mil a year, let him go.
haha and here I thought Zach Randolph was the consensus "nobody wants him player." Nobody wants that black hole man, not to mention his atrocious contract.

I'd only take him if we got Eric Gordon or DeAndre Jordan somehow.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
gsxr1kryder
Decent playground baller

gsxr1kryder has an OK reputation so far

resign Bass.

then I'll agree with what others have said.
we need to look for younger players. this team is getting old quick. and it hasn't worked too well. don't blow it up, but just add some youth so we have something to look forward to.
gsxr1kryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

I know it's against the premise of this thread, but Dallas should trade Dirk. I think it's obvious Dallas is not winning a championship anytime soon, and Dirks value won't rise any higher.
I really think you can get a high lottery pick and a good young player for him
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:09 AM   #15
depletedW
I Rep Mavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
I know it's against the premise of this thread, but Dallas should trade Dirk. I think it's obvious Dallas is not winning a championship anytime soon, and Dirks value won't rise any higher.
I really think you can get a high lottery pick and a good young player for him
Yeah, Cuban has been adamant that he won't trade Dirk. It is not something most Mavs fans are comfortable talking about, but it is a topic that will continue to come up if the front office continues to fail to assemble a good team around Dirk. He is not getting any younger, and his trade value is as high as it will ever be right now. I would only want this as an absolute last resort.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: