Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

Kobe4MVP has an OK reputation so far
Default Luke Walton expects Lakers to make NBA Finals

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1306655.php

The swingman says last year's playoff collapse was a learning experience.
By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register

EL SEGUNDO Luke Walton has been on a team that made the NBA Finals. And he sees these Lakers as good enough to be there again - this season.
"I expect to be in the (NBA) Finals this year," Walton said Saturday. "We could've done it last year. We had a young team that had never really been there together. I think you really grow a lot from what we went through - losing the 3-1 (lead) to a great team like Phoenix in the playoffs."
Walton said the vibe in training camp is "definitely the best feeling" since his rookie season, when the 2003-'04 Lakers reached the NBA Finals on the star power of Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, Shaquille O'Neal and Gary Payton.
What Walton likes in the current Lakers is a growing communal spirit that feels special, one that wasn't quite established last season.

"There were so many times through the whole season where we were losing close games because we really didn't have that confidence about us," Walton said. "We had it about Kobe, but not about us as a team."
Walton foresees the Lakers winning more of the close games they lost last season and positioning themselves to make better postseason use of Bryant.

"The thing about basketball, when you get to the playoffs, every game comes down to the very end," Walton said. "We've got the best clutch player in the game on our team. So we feel as long as we play like a team and hopefully get a better seed than seventh and have home-court advantage, then we can win that and move on. And we match up pretty well against a lot of teams in the Western Conference."

The Lakers were already competitive with most of the league's top teams last season, bolstering Walton's faith.

"If you look at last year, we had a great chance at knocking off Phoenix," Walton said. "Granted, we didn't take care of business, but they (the Suns) went all the way to the Western Conference finals and lost to Dallas. And Dallas had a great chance at winning the NBA Finals, so we feel like we're at that level. We don't feel like there's a team out there that's just better than us."

NOTES
Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw cited Kwame Brown, Walton, Danilo Pinnock, Jordan Farmar and Brian Cook as most impressive in the team's extensive scrimmages Saturday night. Shaw served as Brown's primary confidant last season, and going into this season, Shaw said he's telling Brown: "Keep riding that wave of confidence." ...

Small forward Maurice Evans on the triangle offense: "People don't realize the complexity of this offense. Guys like Kobe and (Michael) Jordan make it look so easy. Even guys like Rick Fox grew into the position and did so well that you kind of take it for granted how much you have to learn." ...
Walton is wearing tights to keep his legs warm in training camp. He tore his left hamstring in camp a year ago.

-----------------

I'd been wondering why we hadn't heard anything from or about Luke... I wonder how his jumper is looking this year, he had developed a couple of nifty across-the-lane moves by the end of last season, and a quasi-reliable 3-pt shot from the corners. If he improved his midrange game at all he'll be a great guy to bring off the bench and make sure the offense keeps flowing.
Kobe4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe4MVP
Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw cited Kwame Brown, Walton, Danilo Pinnock, Jordan Farmar and Brian Cook as most impressive in the team's extensive scrimmages Saturday night. Shaw served as Brown's primary confidant last season, and going into this season, Shaw said he's telling Brown: "Keep riding that wave of confidence." ...

Finally, Luke speaks out... I hope its not over confidence, but its nice to hear him speak. Good article.

I was most interested in the notes about JR Pinnock... could he be the sleeper that makes the squad? could i have been wrong all this time? maybe..... just maybe.......
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Elebrond
I brick open layups

Elebrond has an OK reputation so far
Talking

definely I'm With Him.

The Guy Know .

Lakers To Deep In Playoff This Season.

I Think That The Battle Of Championship To Be Among Miami Heat And L.a Lakers.

Elebrond
Elebrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Twiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat cool

I was wrong about Luke. Before last season I wanted him cut. He couldn't play D, couldn't shoot, all he could do was pass. But he really improved by playoff time so hopefully he can get some playing time and continue on his success he had against the suns.
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

great article. is great to see that confidence in the team. I expect them to be a 53-56 win team and possibly the WCF...its funny because most ppl this yr are again predicting lakers to miss the playoffs
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

I like his positivity. But I think we are going to be a 7-8 seed again.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #7
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I get so excited reading these articles everyday.

I am glad about Pinnock and Kwame.

Pinnock might be a sleeper like GILBERT ARENAS.

He can create his own shot, plays D.

I'll give it to mitch and phil that they are great drafters.

Every player we select (almost every player) makes a big contribution to their teams.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #8
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

I feel good about up coming season. I hope Luke shows me something more consendent this year. Go Lakers....
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

Thats good for Luke. Unrealistic, but its nice to see he's got some confidence.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan4zindagi
Thats good for Luke. realistic, its nice to see he's got some confidence.

It's good to see the Laker's are ready to compete!!!
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #11
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

dblockallstars has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
I like his positivity. But I think we are going to be a 7-8 seed again.
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I was thinking 6....5 or 6.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lool nice job quoting that Mariodeathgrip.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #14
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Pinnock might be a sleeper like GILBERT ARENAS.

He can create his own shot, plays D.

Ok, you might be "HIGH" on Pinnock... (just kiddin)... I could be wrong here, but I really would be surprised if he made the squad. I did not see all that great a play from him at the SPL. Not that he was bad, but just that three other players were much better to me. Then again, I am no pro at picking talent.

Seriously, did you see him play elsewhere which helped you to form an opinion? I will admit that I never heard of him before this summer.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:09 AM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lol I like the "HIGH on pinnock thing" that was funny.

Yeah I dont think he's going to make it THIS YEAR.

But if he improves i think overtime he will eventually make the roster.

they mentioned in that article that pinnock was one of the most impressive.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: