Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 05-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.
Default Robinson Interested in Portland

Just saw this posted on realgm:

Nate Robinson is trying to find his way to Portland, but the feeling might not be reciprocated by the Blazers.

"Nate’s been telling people he doesn’t feel he’ll be around New York much longer," a source told Tommy Dee. "He wants Portland, he wants to go closer to home."

There is currently no interest from Portland in signing Robinson to an offer sheet, according to another source.

The Blazers are focusing their search on a veteran point guard.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Robinson Interested in Portland

I'm happy to see a player want to come to Portland. That doesn't happen a whole lot (though I'm expecting that to change soon). But I don't want Nate. I don't think he brings us anything we need. He is a 5'9" SG. I'd prefer to have Rudy be more of that bench scoring SG and I expect Bayless to be a bigger version of Nate with a little development, so I don't see where Nate fits in.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

In the NBA Forum I said that the Blazers probably won't do this since they already have an offensive player like Nate in Travis Outlaw. Basically a black hole who will hold the ball for 8-10 seconds and jack up a fade away from a stupid spot on the court. Plus, just like Travis, he plays no defense but if they moved Travis in a package with Sergio then I could see the Blazers looking but not touching. Kind of like a guy in a relationship with a chick with a great personality and he can tell there is potential with her looks so he just looks at what he could have now but knows what he has is better for him in the long run.

Like I've been saying since Mid-Season...Bayless = D. Harris + pesky defense in three years or sooner.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

You know what I just realized is that the Blazers should pick up Nate Robinson if they move Travis. They really could use his heart, intensity, attitude and toughness on the bench, in the locker room, in the weight room and in the practice facility.

The biggest thing that people have been talking about the Blazers missing last season was that tough guy outside Joel who is willing to take and ejection, fine or maybe a small suspension to pump up his team and will stick up for his team mates. Without question he would be a fan favorite here but I think we and the Blazers are overlooking the intangibles Kyrptonate could bring to this team.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
You know what I just realized is that the Blazers should pick up Nate Robinson if they move Travis. They really could use his heart, intensity, attitude and toughness on the bench, in the locker room, in the weight room and in the practice facility.

The biggest thing that people have been talking about the Blazers missing last season was that tough guy outside Joel who is willing to take and ejection, fine or maybe a small suspension to pump up his team and will stick up for his team mates. Without question he would be a fan favorite here but I think we and the Blazers are overlooking the intangibles Kyrptonate could bring to this team.

But it doesn't make sense position wise for us. We are jammed packed at the G positions. It would only make sense if he was getting Outlaw's minutes at SF, but Nate obviously can't do that. Bayless will supply us with the attitude and toughness we need from a guard at least by his 3rd year, if not his 2nd.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

I haven't seen Bayless show any toughness in college or his first year of the NBA besides his driving to the rim.

Nate Robinson is probably the only point guard in the NBA who KG would never try to pick on.

Thats all that is needed to be said.

Sergio is on the way out and I wouldn't be surprised to see a package deal of Bayless and Outlaw for a premiere small forward.

Even is Sergio is out, then that frees up minutes for Robinson

Blake/Bayless
Roy/Robinson
Webster/Fernandez
Aldridge/Outlaw
Przybilla/Oden

That second team would be the fastest most athletic bench in the NBA. They have a good perimeter defender in Bayless and a good post defender in Oden. Outlaw can jump out of the gym so he can also help rebound and block shots. Also, Outlaw would be able to stretch the defense by pulling the opponants power forward out to the perimeter and open lanes for Robinson and Bayless.

I'd like to see it and Nate has said the past two seasons that he's trying to make the team more up tempo.

I know it's not going to happen but I would be excited if it did.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The thought of Robinson and Outlaw on the court at the same time makes me cringe.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #8
Myth

Yeah, I still don't like the idea of bringing in Nate.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Renegade
I hit open layups

Renegade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I haven't seen Bayless show any toughness in college or his first year of the NBA ...

.. They have a good perimeter defender in Bayless ...

Bayless isn't tough ... wait good perimeter defender ... no wait, no toughness ... wait ... oh, I am just so confused ...

Robinson isn't coming and Bayless' minutes will increase significantly next year. He will prove his value by being a strong contributor.

Last edited by Renegade : 05-27-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Darkwing Duck
Get on my level

Darkwing Duck has an OK reputation so far

I think Nate Robinson would be a great addition to this team. I think it would be very easy to get him to, Sergio+24 maybe. Dantoni loves sergio, and it does seem like nates time in NY is coming to an end. i think they would be willing to give him up pretty easy.

Nate Robinson is what we need, heart, fire, intensity, he can get to the hoop and finish or kick out, i see him fitting nicely with Roy.

I dont really see it happening though, i think Kevin Pritchard has his sites set higher than Nate Rob
Darkwing Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
Bayless isn't tough ... wait good perimeter defender ... no wait, no toughness ... wait ... oh, I am just so confused ...

Robinson isn't coming and Bayless' minutes will increase significantly next year. He will prove his value by being a strong contributor.

Just because you're a good perimeter defender doesn't make you tough. It did in the 90s and before but in this new era of NBA, it doesn't. No hand checking, no physical play really at all.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Renegade
I hit open layups

Renegade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Just because you're a good perimeter defender doesn't make you tough.

... and there you have it. A good defender that is soft. Robinson will not be a Blazer. Doesn't fit.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck
I think Nate Robinson would be a great addition to this team. I think it would be very easy to get him to, Sergio+24 maybe. Dantoni loves sergio, and it does seem like nates time in NY is coming to an end. i think they would be willing to give him up pretty easy.

Nate Robinson is what we need, heart, fire, intensity, he can get to the hoop and finish or kick out, i see him fitting nicely with Roy.

I dont really see it happening though, i think Kevin Pritchard has his sites set higher than Nate Rob

I actually think Nate would be a good on-court, basketball fit if we were to move Sergio, but his non-basketball issues, his "little-big-man" issues would be a chemistry concern.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: