Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Luigi has decent reputationLuigi has decent reputation
Default Bobcats for sale?

I realize its just a rumor, but if the cats are being shopped, could I hope to get Okafor from you for Kirilenko? I know you just paid for him and are probably happy with it. Butm, AK's salary doesn't run as long, and that flexibility would be useful for a moving team.

Perhaps I could hope for another offer if we learn that Boozer isn't opting out, then you'd have an expirer on your hands.
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Bobcats for sale?

From things that Coach Brown has said about Okafor I suspect that Brown questions Mek's passion for the game. But I don't think that Brown will seriously consider major trades/signings until training camp.

As far as the sale of the Cats, I'm curious why Michael Jordan appears to be out of the running? Last season it was all about MJ wanting to buy controlling interest in the team. Personally I'm nervous about what Robert Johnson might do. He never had any business owning a basketball team in the first place. I think a new owner needs passion for the game, for the Cats and for the Cats fan-base. MJ has that. But if Johnson insists in asking a hundred million dollars more than the team is valued at then I doubt that there will be any bites.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi
I realize its just a rumor, but if the cats are being shopped, could I hope to get Okafor from you for Kirilenko? I know you just paid for him and are probably happy with it. Butm, AK's salary doesn't run as long, and that flexibility would be useful for a moving team.

Perhaps I could hope for another offer if we learn that Boozer isn't opting out, then you'd have an expirer on your hands.

Pray tell what would be our motivation to take on an inferior player that costs 6 million more next year? We can almost pay Mek to play for 3 seasons for what AK is owed in 2!

BTW...no one should think this might mean Charlotte would lose the Bobcats. The penalty to move the team is 200 million bucks until 2010. From there it's a very gradual drop to 150 million in 2030.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kirilenko<>Okafor.

LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Wasn't this resolved earlier this year? Bobcats are staying in Charlotte, end of discussion.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

It's possible they could be moved...if a new owner is willing to kick out about a half a billion bucks to do it.

200 million penalty if they move before 2010; after that it's prorated for like the next 20 years down to 150 million.

No potential owner would buy the team with that in mind when they could just buy a team like Memphis, Jersey or the Bucks and move them without any penalties.

Edit:

I'm off on that. I was getting my info from a previous Observer article, but per their attorney:

Quote:
Q: Can the team leave?
A: No. The city may seek an injunction to force the team to honor the commitment to play here, or can enforce liquidated damages of $200,000,000 in the first 5 years (2005-2010), $150,000,000 in years 5 – 10, and a declining balance going from $85,000,000 in year 11 down to $7,000,000 in year 25.

http://obspapertrail.blogspot.com/20...charlotte.html

Last edited by ~spectre~ : 05-23-2009 at 07:47 AM.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Apparently MJ has the financing and the desire. The sticking point is the price.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
DanielC

MJ sucks as an owner anyways. sell the team to someone good.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC
MJ sucks as an owner anyways. sell the team to someone good.

MJ has only been a minority owner. But why does he suck? He's so enthusiastic and committed to the success of the Bobcats that I think he'd be a terrific owner. IMO, only.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
MJ has only been a minority owner. But why does he suck? He's so enthusiastic and committed to the success of the Bobcats that I think he'd be a terrific owner. IMO, only.

+1
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
catsandheels
I brick open layups

catsandheels has an OK reputation so far
Cool Re: Bobcats for sale?

mj isnt out of the running to become owner of the bobcats. He said that him and bob johnson might switch percent of ownership but before they did that mj said he needs to get the finances together. Give him time though. I wouldnt doubt he wont be majority owner in the next few years
catsandheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Here's the thing: People are going to automatically freak out and slam the organization if MJ becomes majority owner for the sole reason he drafted Morrison and Kwame. What people don't realize is that in an owner's position, he will have the ability to hire the minds to help make the decisions rather than make them on his own. Having MJ would be great because, who wouldn't want to work with MJ?
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady

+ 2
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Here's the thing: People are going to automatically freak out and slam the organization if MJ becomes majority owner for the sole reason he drafted Morrison and Kwame. What people don't realize is that in an owner's position, he will have the ability to hire the minds to help make the decisions rather than make them on his own. Having MJ would be great because, who wouldn't want to work with MJ?

+1

... you're right ... MJ could probably lure some talented desk NBA nerds / legends simply because hey "I'll be working for/with Jordan!" ... it's a no brainer to me in regards to this being good for this franchise and the city / state of Charlotte / NC.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #15
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
+1

... you're right ... MJ could probably lure some talented desk NBA nerds / legends simply because hey "I'll be working for/with Jordan!" ... it's a no brainer to me in regards to this being good for this franchise and the city / state of Charlotte / NC.
He could already lure them as the minority owner...
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: