Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 06-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #16
jan803
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
He's not being a hater nor a homer. Just being a realist. The reason most people think Juan Howard is a bum is because of the contract he signed.

Howard
16.7 ppg 7.2 rpg 2.7 apg FG% 46.9

Worthy
17.6 ppg 5.1 rpg 3.0 apg FG% 52.1

Production wise they are close.

the career averages standout for starters.

i honestly don't know as much about howard. but i don't recall him being a first option of course. but worthy was able to score the way he did playing w/magic and kareem too. there was lots and lots of offense to go around w/those teams.
jan803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #17
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Are you sure it's not Josh Howard, because that would be much more topical, and at least slightly more reasonable.

Both kind of all around athletic guys, good to great finishers when set up. A lot of in between game. Better than average rebounders per position.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #18
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

They were similar in production only because Worthy sacrificed his stats for the good of helping a dynasty stay a dynasty. Meanwhile Juwan put up okay numbers on god-awful teams. Worthy is easily a 22ppg scorer anywhere else. And that's then. In today's game he's putting up 25 ppg and scoring ain't close to his only dimension.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #19
tontoz
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Are you sure it's not Josh Howard

Yes. What started the discussion was Jordan putting Worthy on his team of the best at each position he played with. Obviously it was a Tarheel homer pick.

Then he said Worthy was no better than Juwan Howard.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #20
Da KO King

I never said Howard was Worthy's equal. Simply pointed out that Howard is far better than people give him credit for. Only reason he's called a bum is because of the contract he signed all those years ago.

If he never signed that deal he'd be called a quality player/fringe all star.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #21
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
Then he said Worthy was no better than Juwan Howard.
I assume after this you gave him five across the eyes. And if this was an online altercation, you found out where he lived, flew there via commercial air travel, gave him five across the eyes, returned home, and had a beer. Because anything short of that isn't acceptable. Unless you downgraded from beer to soda. That's fine. I actually like soda better anyway. Black Cherry/Vanilla coke is my new shit.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #22
Sound and Fury
Verbosity Incarnate

Here are some differences between the two:

Juwan Howard is more of a physical banger. His game consists mostly of jumpers and post-ups. Worthy is more of a fluid player; his game consists mostly of slashes to the basket for scoop shots, floaters, and the occasional dunk.

Worthy had an incredible economy of motion in his game - by which I mean he never wasted a move, which made him seem even quicker than he was (and he was darn quick). Worthy was big enough to play power forward on the Lakers' "greyhound" team but quick enough to slide down to shooting guard when the situation warranted it (e.g., 1989 Finals vs. Detroit when Magic and Byron were both hurt).

James was capable of taking over a game on his own, and was regularly asked to do so with the Lakers because he was such a matchup nightmare (he overpowered quick guys and out-quicked big guys). Juwan was not capable of single-handedly taking over.

As mentioned, Juwan put up most of his numbers as the #1 or maybe #2 option on some bad teams. Worthy put up his numbers as the #3 option (behind Kareem and Magic) on some championship-caliber clubs. So while the production was the same, the circumstances - and the way they produced - were vastly different. Juwan is a classic banger/jumpshooter - a slightly undersized PF, while Worthy is a classic slasher/finisher who had power around the hoop... a SF in a PF's body.

It's not that Juwan is a BAD player... he's a slightly above-average PF who amassed big numbers in big minutes. Nobody ever worried about Juwan Howard killing their team though.

James Worthy was a Hall of Fame player whose numbers are depressed because he (a) gave up some of his numbers for the team and (b) the Laker starters usually sat 4th quarters in their heyday because they were up by 20 points already... and people DID try to stop James Worthy (of course in doing so, it usually opened things up for Kareem or Magic to kill them). Remember, he does have a Finals MVP to his name (1988).

Last edited by Sound and Fury : 06-13-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Sound and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #23
tontoz

Nice response there Sound and Fury

Geewiz rest assured that I gave him a hard time, and I am still doing so.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #24
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

This is BS.

I think someone stuffed up and was supposed to type "Josh Howard".

He is the best comparison for Worthy in the NBA currently. Athletic defenders, silky smooth on offense.
TheReturnofCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #25
tontoz

See for yourself.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/forums/pos...Board=aroundtl

There are two threads on it, one entitled "If what MJ says is true" is where it started.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: