Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Chest Weight Vests

do they work?

iam trying to get stronger and increase my vert by jumping and playing ball with it on

will it do more harm then good?
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Chest Weight Vests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
do they work?

iam trying to get stronger and increase my vert by jumping and playing ball with it on

will it do more harm then good?

My friend had one for some kind of thing he was training for. I put it on when we played some basketball one day. It was f*cked up. Just weird feeling. I played about normally, aside from jumping a little less.

I couldn't say whether it would help or hurt. But it was cool to try for a bit.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

anyone else have some thing to say about this?

trying to see if 40 bucks at target is worth it
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
GiveItToBurrito

bump

I want to know more about this, too. It seems like a great way to increase endurance and strength, since I'd think that playing without a vest would seem like a breeze after doing it with the vest on.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I used to jump rope with a weight vest on. It definitely helped my hops.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You can play pickup with it on under your shirt and shoot with your offhand. Then freak everyone out when you dramatically take it off at halftime and announce you're not left handed.

Total intimidation.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It helps. It's just annoying because you will be considerably worse (tire quicker, jump less, sprint slower, etc) but the improvements are dramatic. It's like shooting with a medicine ball and then shooting with a basketball after, big difference.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

I hear it works, but studies still suggest that plyometrics + strength training is still the most effective way to increase your vertical.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think they are better for you than ankle weights. Which can mess your knees up.

Of course hitting the weight room is going to do more for your vert than a weight vest. All carrying extra weight around is going to do is make your muscles overwork and burn out.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:53 AM   #10
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
You can play pickup with it on under your shirt and shoot with your offhand. Then freak everyone out when you dramatically take it off at halftime and announce you're not left handed.

Total intimidation.

That's total Dragonball Z

OMG, his powerlevel just increased by a 100 points!
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #11
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
anyone else have some thing to say about this?

trying to see if 40 bucks at target is worth it
Try it out for 2-3 months and then just return it to Target. Make sure you keep the original packaging and dont get it too dirty.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #12
unbreakable
National High School Star

unbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

The important thing is to maintain your normal running/jumping form...

sometimes extra weighted vests or ankle weights, etc can hinder your form and make you slouch or whatever.. maintain your form when wearing the vest and if you cant maintain your form, go lighter on the weight..just like when lifting.. form is the most important.
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 AM   #13
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
I hear it works, but studies still suggest that plyometrics + strength training is still the most effective way to increase your vertical.

That is correct, in order to jump high you need to be working on the type 2a and type 2b muscle fibres. This can be done a lot more effectively by having a weights strengthening program and a plyometrics program.

With these muscle fibres because of the low capillary density and mitochondria they will fatigue quickly (Anaerobic) meaning if you can play a full game of basketball in a weighted vest you probably are not working them as intensively as you would be a plyometrics workout.

Wearing a vest will have added advantages because it will increase the strength in your legs purely because you are heavier. However if you don't already have strong legs I don't advise it. You need to have enough strength to support your weight first.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #14
globarticles
I hit open layups

globarticles has an OK reputation so far

globarticles is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: