Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #31
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: National Sales Tax under consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
Now stop being a hypocrite and go pony up, Uncle Sam is waiting.

I've ponied up already my friend. I don't owe Uncle Sam anything except the taxes I pay. Thanks though.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #32
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Seriously, I don't believe you about your job anymore. Unless you're like the janitor or something. Nobody can be this dim.

Then don't believe me then. I don't care.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #33
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

PejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Then don't believe me then. I don't care.

You come across as one of the most goofy sounding people here.

"Yes, we should give more of the money that we work our asses off for, since the government has done so well spending money over the past few years." "Clearly the government needs this more than my family does."

And even worse, a TOTAL HYPOCRITE. "We should be willing to help the government out."

But you're not. You obviously aren't willing to give more, but you insist that others do. A liar and a hypocrite wrapped up all in one.
PejaNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #34
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:

"Yes, we should give more of the money that we work our asses off for, since the government has done so well spending money over the past few years." "Clearly the government needs this more than my family does."

And even worse, a TOTAL HYPOCRITE. "We should be willing to help the government out."

But you're not. You obviously aren't willing to give more, but you insist that others do. A liar and a hypocrite wrapped up all in one.

Okay.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #35
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

*Holds up a mirror.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #36
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

PejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat cool

Now that the pot-head and the Obama ass-kisser have gone away, maybe the adults can converse again.

On top of the VAT, the government is also considering taxing healthcare benefits. Yes, any benefits you receive from your employer will be taxed and that money will be owed to the government at the end of the year. Obama bashed John McCain for this idiotic concept, and rightfully so, but now apparently his administration thinks that this is a brilliant idea and Rahm Emanuel is a big backer of it.

Basically our government is spending money at a breakneck speed, a lot of the stimulus money has been mismanaged and billions upon billions are actually "missing." The Treasury Secretary has no answers, and in the midst of this, the discussion involving VAT is picking up steam as the government is desperate for any additional source of revenue that they can yank from hard-working taxpayers.

The sad thing about a VAT is that the people who make the least, will be hurt the most. With the cost of everything going up, its going to be hard for folks living paycheck to paycheck to get by when they have to pay an additional VAT on TOP of state sales tax and other taxes when they purchase pretty much anything, including food.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #37
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It seems OP doesn't know much about taxes. The situation depicted wouldn't be a case of double taxation, because the current retailer tax (which is eventually paid by the consumer too) would be replaced by a VAT. I don't see how the consumer is worse off, it's a matter of replacing an efficient sales tax (retailer tax) with an equally efficient, simpler sales tax, which also happens to be a useful tool against tax evasion. It works just fine everywhere else.
But wait, I guess these national healthcare and VAT things are comunist policies in disguise, right?
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #38
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I've ponied up already my friend. I don't owe Uncle Sam anything except the taxes I pay. Thanks though.

You should pay more, whatever it is, it isn't enough. Uncle Sam needs more money, and if you're not paying more, you aren't fulfilling your vow to "help the government out." After all this crazy spending, you should realize that you now owe substantially more then you owed 3 months ago. Uncle Sam needs a bailout.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #39
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
It seems OP doesn't know much about taxes. The situation depicted wouldn't be a case of double taxation, because the current retailer tax (which is eventually paid by the consumer too) would be replaced by a VAT. I don't see how the consumer is worse off, it's a matter of replacing an efficient sales tax (retailer tax) with an equally efficient, simpler sales tax, which also happens to be a useful tool against tax evasion. It works just fine everywhere else.
But wait, I guess these national healthcare and VAT things are comunist policies in disguise, right?

Where do you get the idea that a retailer tax would be replaced by the VAT???? Writing that shows your fundamental lacking of understanding in the difference between a VAT which is charged once, and a sales tax which can be charged multiple times. They are not merely exclusive taxes. There are several nations that possess regional retailer taxes as well as national VAT.

For many states the sales tax is a key source of their income and no economic model I've seen has shown that VAT could adequately replace the funds lost by the states. Also in none of these discussions of VAT have I seen any mention of retailer taxes being eliminated. You're really grasping for straws in your attempt to sound informed and intellectual here.

Last edited by PejaNowitzki : 05-27-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #40
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Where do you get the idea that a retailer tax would be replaced by the VAT????

For many states the sales tax is a key source of their income and no economic model I've seen has shown that VAT could adequately replace the funds lost by the states. Also in none of these discussions of VAT have I seen any mention of retailer taxes being eliminated. You're really grasping for straws in your attempt to sound informed and intellectual here.

The simple idea of having a VAT in addition to a retailer tax (because both VAT and retailer taxes, such as the american one, are sales taxes) is absurd. It would entail a case of double taxation, which goes against the basic principles of taxation and public economy, and would cause an uproar in the academic and financial community. It simply can't happen.
I get the idea from the european model. There, most decentralized (federal) countries allow the provinces, regions or whatever they are called (that would be the states equivalent in the US) to keep a part or the total VAT collection, which makes up for the replaced retailer tax. Also, as I said before, a VAT is a useful tool against tax evasion, because it provides detailed information of all the economic agents involved in the production-distribution-sale process. Therefore, total collection might be higher than before with the same level of tax pressure on consumers.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #41
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
You should pay more, whatever it is, it isn't enough. Uncle Sam needs more money, and if you're not paying more, you aren't fulfilling your vow to "help the government out." After all this crazy spending, you should realize that you now owe substantially more then you owed 3 months ago. Uncle Sam needs a bailout.

Okay.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 AM   #42
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
We got to pay for that right wing army somehow.

Gotta love Doomsday, Peja, and the rest of the posers who don't act on their convictions. They just come to a basketball forum and *****, *****, *****.

And that's exactly what you did during the Bush admin.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #43
unbreakable
National High School Star

unbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I wouldnt trust anyone from Wisconsin. Damn commies.
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #44
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbreakable
I wouldnt trust anyone from Wisconsin. Damn commies.

Who's from Wisconsin?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #45
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

I personally dont have a problem with sales tax... maybe a national sales tax is a bit much, but its different than an income tax.... I have a huge problem with the federal income tax as it is unconstitutional.....

as long as the sales tax isnt astronomically high, I dont have a problem...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: